SiouxSports.com Forum

2 questions

Fetch

1 hour ago, Fetch said:

Who decides who gets assists on goals ?

Video review determines who gets assists.  While referees still tell the scorekeeper who they saw get assists, they are occasionally wrong.  I'd be curious to go back and take a look at all of Panzer's assists and see how many of them were phantom.  Video review wasn't used as much in that situation.

1 hour ago, Fetch said:

So there is always a dedicated score keeper ?

No one remembers when the refs would bring out a piece of wood & check sticks - especially goalies - never knew the reasoning behind it

Yes, there is a dedicated scorekeeper usually in the press box.  They track shots, goals, assists, penalties, etc.  

1 hour ago, Fetch said:

No one remembers when the refs would bring out a piece of wood & check sticks - especially goalies - never knew the reasoning behind it

I remember  this. I haven't seen it since the 80's. I recall seeing a goal disallowed after a stick was challenged in the 80's.

6 minutes ago, chicofelipe said:

I remember  this. I haven't seen it since the 80's. I recall seeing a goal disallowed after a stick was challenged in the 80's.

Vs wisco in the wcha playoffs in 1983, gino challenged the curve of a wisco stick after wisco scored in ot. It was illegal,  so goal didn't count,  but Wisco scored shorthanded to win the series. 

The smoke filled room ncaa tourney committee then left the Sioux out of the ncaa tournament,  when the FF was played in the Ralph.  Imo the badgers and Sioux were by far the best 2 teams in the country that year,  and wisco won the title easily without having to face the Sioux again.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, sprig said:

Vs wisco in the wcha playoffs in 1983, gino challenged the curve of a wisco stick after wisco scored in ot. It was illegal,  so goal didn't count,  but Wisco scored shorthanded to win the series. 

The smoke filled room ncaa tourney committee then left the Sioux out of the ncaa tournament,  when the FF was played in the Ralph.  Imo the badgers and Sioux were by far the best 2 teams in the country that year,  and wisco won the title easily without having to face the Sioux again.

If a goal is scored with illegal stick today the goal counts and a minor penalty is assessed.

48 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

If a goal is scored with illegal stick today the goal counts and a minor penalty is assessed.

Yes,  that has changed.  Gino said they thought the stick was illegal but waited for an appropriate time to ask for a measurement.

7 hours ago, Fetch said:

& is there still rules to how much curve a stick can have ? (used to see goalies get their sticks checked ) but have not seen that in ages 

Section 3, Rule 10 of the NCAA Ice Hockey Rule Book has the details on sticks.  http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/IH16.pdf

It starts on page 23.

• Upvote 1

I played in the wooden stick era, and guys would add curve.  The test I saw used on the ice (Canadian rinks, I think) was seeing if a dime could pass under a straight edge between the heel and the toe.  That's not much curve, but those are olden days.  Not much toe-dragging with straight blades. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Fetch said:

& is there still rules to how much curve a stick can have ? (used to see goalies get their sticks checked ) but have not seen that in ages 

At the Ralph there is someone that watches the video to look for the assists. The Refs do not inform on assist number. If you ever watch after the goals most of the time the orange band that called the goal does a fly by of the scorekeepers booth and signals a number that they have for the goal scorer only. I guess its a little more obvious from the student section being right there but you often can see them not go up to the hole in the glass. 

I remember playing USA Hockey rules with a illegal stick with Coffey blades were illegal, never got caught, but I also wasn't a goal scorer. They pretty much went away with the majority of curve rules, and I have not checked college rules but typically USA Hockey makes changes after NHL or NCAA does.

With the composite materials of today's sticks, not sure many try to heat up the blade to curve it anymore, it can be done but it's not like the olden days ("my youth") in which you could grab dad's blowtorch and work that curve into the shape of the girlfriends posterier.       

Patterns have to be formed in "somewhat" bulk so it's doubtfull that a manufacturer would retool for a stick that wouldn't conform to stanndards. It can be done but I don't trust heating the lamination of modern sticks I think it weakens them greatly....plus too expensive to experiment with