SiouxSports.com Forum

What Should Blais Do?

jloos

Being this is the last home series should Blais play all of the seniors? Or should he keep the same lines that played so well in Duluth? Palmiscno is the only senior that doesn't play much, I think the classy thing to do is to dress him for the weekend. How about Massen? Personally I'd like to see him dress this weekend, although I don't no who I would leave off.

I'm guessing Saturday is Seniors night anyways, so you have to reward these guys for sticking with the program and play them.

As for the younger guys that don't play so much, I think if the Cup has been clinched on Friday night then do it for Saturday. The last thing we need is some guys getting hurt in a game that doesn't matter. I don't believe it would throuw off chemistry, since it's one game and you'd still have the WCHA tourney.

As for Massen, I can't figure out why so many of us are obsessed with giving him another shot. He hasn't produced all year and it's not fair to some others who have played better. Hopefully over the off season Massen can find his productivity again, but he's been given plenty of chances this year and didn't seize them.

As for Massen, I can't figure out why so many of us are obsessed with giving him another shot. He hasn't produced all year and it's not fair to some others who have played better. Hopefully over the off season Massen can find his productivity again, but he's been given plenty of chances this year and didn't seize them.

Just looked at the 4/1/04 stats. Wasn't sure who you were refering to about the "other players who played better" Boy did I get a shock. Take a look at this!!

Hale...went 8 games in Nov-Dec and 11 games Dec-Feb without scoring and continued to get ice time.

Pripch... went 5 games in Nov and 9 games Jan-Feb without scoring and continued to get ice time.

Stafford...went 5 games in Jan-Feb without scoring and continued to get ice time.

McMahon...went 9 games without scoring in Jan-Feb and continued to get ice time.

Fylling...went 7 games in Jan-Feb without scoring and continued to get ice time.

Lundbohm...went 6 games in Dec-Jan without scoring and continued to get ice time.

Fabian...has played in 5 games in a row and only scored in 1 game and continues to get ice time.

If you look at Massens stats he never got to play more than 4 games in a row, for the most part it was play one, sit one or two....Tough to get any kind of consistance going. A couple of times after he got a point he would sit the next night. I too don't understand his non productivity, but this does maybe, explain his inconsistance. Looks to me like he should at least get the same "chance" "the other players" are getting.

Canady even got 10 games in a row only scoring in 2 of them.

Just looked at the 4/1/04 stats. Wasn't sure who you were refering to about the "other players who played better" Boy did I get a shock. Take a look at this!!

Hale...went 8 games in Nov-Dec and 11 games Dec-Feb without scoring and continued to get ice time.

Pripch... went 5 games in Nov and 9 games Jan-Feb without scoring and continued to get ice time.

Stafford...went 5 games in Jan-Feb without scoring and continued to get ice time.

McMahon...went 9 games without scoring in Jan-Feb and continued to get ice time.

Fylling...went 7 games in Jan-Feb without scoring and continued to get ice time.

Lundbohm...went 6 games in Dec-Jan without scoring and continued to get ice time.

Fabian...has played in 5 games in a row and only scored in 1 game and continues to get ice time.

If you look at Massens stats he never got to play more than 4 games in a row, for the most part it was play one, sit one or two....Tough to get any kind of consistance going. A couple of times after he got a point he would sit the next night. I too don't understand his non productivity, but this does maybe, explain his inconsistance. Looks to me like he should at least get the same "chance" "the other players" are getting.

Canady even got 10 games in a row only scoring in 2 of them.

Interesting stuff. I guess by "playing better," I knew that some guys weren't scoring either. Many of the other guys listed have filled different roles ala Prpich defensively. Also those other players did some scoring at the beginning when Massen didn't. Hale was one who was struggling early, but I believe he sat some as well during that stretch.

You are right, however, that it's tough to be productive when it's play a game and sit two or three.

Some other interesting info from the stats link on the 'Hockey Home' page:

Massen has played 17 games with 1 goal and 5 assists.

Canady has played 16 with 2 goals and 2 assists.

Marvin has played 19 with 2 goals.

Palmo has played the least out of non freshman at only 10 games. The next closest player to Massen is Bina at 24 games. Also, Marvin has seen some time at D and not at forward.

After looking at this, maybe Massen should be given another chance from the productivity perspective. Obviously Blais doesn't like something that is going on. Lots of people have commented on various game threads that Massen just doesn't seem to have the same work ethic this year. I'm guessing that's why Canady has been playing towards the end of this season.

I was too lazy too look through box scores to see who was playing and scoring earlier in the year.

Some other interesting info from the stats link on the 'Hockey Home' page:

Massen has played 17 games with 1 goal and 5 assists.

Canady has played 16 with 2 goals and 2 assists.

Marvin has played 19 with 2 goals.

Palmo has played the least out of non freshman at only 10 games. The next closest player to Massen is Bina at 24 games. Also, Marvin has seen some time at D and not at forward.

After looking at this, maybe Massen should be given another chance from the productivity perspective. Obviously Blais doesn't like something that is going on. Lots of people have commented on various game threads that Massen just doesn't seem to have the same work ethic this year. I'm guessing that's why Canady has been playing towards the end of this season.

I was too lazy too look through box scores to see who was playing and scoring earlier in the year.

I don't have anything against Massen.....but I think he has been given numerous opportunities to produce. Let's face it, he's not here for a "defensive player" roll. His main reason is to score?? From what I've seen, he just hasn't had the hard work ethic as the other players. To me, that's the difference why some of the players have been seeing playing time (although not scoring) vs. him. 4th line wingers....defensive players......penalty kill, etc!

I think he was hurt earlier in the year, that probably didn't help his chances! I don't see how Blais could really change the lineup much after the last 2 weekends? to me, the 4th line is playing better than any 4th line combination has this year? Who would you sit? That's a big question.....not who you can put "in" the lineup, but you do you take "out"?

Many of the other guys listed have filled different roles ala Prpich defensively. Also those other players did some scoring at the beginning when Massen didn't. Hale was one who was struggling early, but I believe he sat some as well during that stretch.

That is a good point about defensive forwards like Prpich. However, it seems whenever Massen got a chance he was put on the 3rd or 4th line, in a checking role. It's hard to produce offensively in a defensive role. I'd like to see Massen play, but I'm not going to question Blais, he obviously knows something we don't.

Friday: Same lines as last week with Brandt in goal.

If we win Friday, Parise in goal, Palmo plays and then who knows. He could rest Parise, Bochenski, etc. No sense getting them hurt.

If we lose Friday: Parise in goal, Palmo plays instead of Fabian and everyone else is the same.

We're going to win Friday so except for Parise in goal and Palmiscino playing Saturday who knows.

If we win Friday, Parise in goal, Palmo plays and then who knows. He could rest Parise, Bochenski, etc. No sense getting them hurt.

No way Bochenski or Parise sits. They couldn't keep Zach off of the ice with a strained MCL, he wont sit because of "what-ifs". Also, both of them are in the Hobey race.

Play those players that are going to win the game(s), if it be Senior or Freshman

or whatever. The reward for the players will be a WCHA Championship and a # 8

NCAA Championship. Simple as that! Just my 2cents!

Go Sioux!!!

Bochenski for Hobey!!

I'm sure Parise and Bo will play on saturday if they win on friday. They are still gunning for a number 1 seed in the tournament and they need all the wins they can get.

I agree......while it would be "nice" if some others got some ice time, it's not the time to be sitting players, especially when they are finally getting back on track as a team!

I don't know. I had visions of John Scott roughing up Parise recently. It's something I do not want to see....

If that happens, you can be assured that Matt Greene will go ape sh^t on him. There will be an all out everyone on the ice fight.

John Scott has pretty muched packed it in. He will be a non-factor this week. This is, of course, just my read on it.

I do have a concern about the playoffs. I think that he may be on the third of his three strikes. I am concerned that Tech's coach has told him that there is no room for him, even on a bottom-feeder like Tech, in the WCHA, and that he should look to play elsewhere. If true, and I believe it to be (the guy has no skills), he could decide to go down in flames by picking a huge fight the last night of the playoffs.

"What Should Blais Do?"

Put the team in position to win an outright MacNaughton Cup.

Put the team in position to enter the playoffs with confidence.

Put the team in position to enter the playoffs on a roll.

Put the team in position to take care of their business.

Put the team in position to take care of their own.

It is important that Blais makes sure that the Sioux do not play down to Tech's level. With the cup on the line there should be no problem motivating the boys. Beantown is the goal and now is no time for a dip in play due to a weak opponent. Jump on em' early and they will fold up. If we let Tech hang around a lucky bounce or soft goal could get them a point, they can be a pesky team.