SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Cities

jimdahl

Hello everyone.  I found this to be my favorite forum & thread on your website.  I go to college at  Grand Valley State University which is just out of of  Grand Rapids, MI.    Its funny & interesting to hear all of your opinions on the "Grand Cities"  issue.  We have an East Grand Rapids here but its so small and insignifcant.  People will say  "I am going to Grand Rapids"  or  "going to GR".

I have never heard anyone refer to Grand Rapids as "The Grand City" or  "going to the Rapids".  This primarly because there are multiple cities in Michigan with the name Rapid or rapids in it.    Such as:  Grand Rapids, Big Rapids, Rapid River, etc.  Also, there are several cities with the word Grand in it such as: Grand Ledge, Grand Blanc, Grandville, Grand Marais, and such.

Anyhow, im sure most of you out in  ND  do not care about what I just posted, but I find your thread on the topic pretty interesting.    I am a Geography major and stuff like that is interesting to hear the local perspective & thoughts compared to folks outside the area of country (Canada).

HAVE A NICE DAY & STAY WARM  IN GRAND FORKS

JUST AS I WILL TRY TO HERE IN GRAND RAPIDS.

OOT

I'm glad you posted something about your community. I'm here to learn something new every day ! :(

• 2 weeks later...

I have to back jakester on this one -- in an informal poll of persons from my hometown -- everyone has said "goin' ta' forks" -- when asked if they used "The" Forks the response was "that doesn't sound right"......

i.e. Always stated as: "After the football game, let's go into Forks for some pizza." Never, ever "After the football game, let's go into The Forks for some pizza."

To take it one step further add in "Grand" --- "After the football game, let's go into Grand Forks for some pizza." compared to "After the football game, let's go into The Grand Forks for some pizza."

Regardless of what is proper or not, to us "outsiders" Grand Forks was, and still is, simply "Forks". :lol:

What the heck is going on here?! What a bunch of hillbilly talk! :):p I probably never said "going to Forks" because I already lived there. Still, what a joke. Today's lesson: "the"..learn it, love it, use it. ;)

I still don't see anything wrong with it. :D

Now if you'll excuse me, Billy Bob an' me are going to get in truck, and head to Forks. Uh-oh, truck is outta gas, I guess we have to go to fuel pump first. :p

I've always just said "GF" that's easy enough for me.

for s's and g's-

Chicago's nickname "the windy city" is named that because of all of the attorneys blowing hot air.

New York's nickname "the big apple" is so because when horse carriages were the main mode of trans. there were horse droppings all over the roads in NY. They were called "apples." So, New York is really, "The Big Pile of Horse $#!t"

And I'm not making this up.

• 2 months later...