• Drew Stafford
    • Nate Ziegelmann
    • Eric Fabian
    • Scott Foyt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smaby a dissapointment? Smaby has played very well this year. So he's made some rookie mistakes, that's expected...I'm sure even Suter has made some of those.

All in all, a great freshman class. Probably the best in the country.

Smaby for sure has some things to learn, but you're right....he's still a freshman. I still love his size (physical presence alone is intimidating.)

I agree the Sioux have the best freshman class in the country and Smaby has contributed to that distinction. However, of the freshman, he's the biggest disappointment (IMO). I think he's been burned way too much this year and has not done well on outlet passing (too many whiffs). I agree in time he'll be a solid defenseman, but he has a lot of work to do.

I think the reason why Smaby is a disappointment was alluded to earlier. We have such excellent defensive defensemen senior to him that he does look like the worst d-man on the ice at times. But here's the kicker: He'd be an every night starter on nearly every other team in the NCAAs. He's a rookiee. He even says he has a lot to learn.

Also, remember Greene's freshman year? He had flashes of greatness too, but man was he always in the penalty box or what? He wasn't as effective as he is now. I have no doubt Smaby will come around. After all, if he needed too much more polish, the Sioux would have asked him to spend a year in Juniors and we would have brought in Beaverson instead. Oh yeah, people forgot quick that Smaby was an alternate for the World Juniors.

With Marvin not looking so hot as a defenseman as of late, I'd like to actually see more of Smaby or at least give Foyt a chance.

I agree in time he'll be a solid defenseman, but he has a lot of work to do.

That's true, but look how far Matt Greene has progressed in a year. And I don't think Mike Commodore really came into his own until his junior year. Smaby has played like a freshman at times, but the potential is clearly there.

Commodore and Greene progressed immensely from their freshman year, but they were both physically intimidating on the ice as rookies. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen that out of Smaby. I don't see that as the game he's trying to play. If it were, I'd probably have a bit more respect for him. I'm hoping Matt will prove me wrong next year.

The Sioux desperately need a defenseman that can rush the puck.

I'll bet he'll have forty by this time tomorrow, now that we find out that the kid has a nose for the puck.

I'll take that bet. :love:

Seriously though, it is for rookie of the YEAR, not the week. If he had been playing this well before, he would have played a lot more. Let's hope he is only going to get better the rest of this year, and his years at UND. His performance could knock Cannady and Massen out for rest of the year.

Blais gave Fabian very high praise in the USCHO recap, saying "he puts in more time than anyone else".

Guys like that tend to find their way onto Dean's roster.

Still, I gotta go with Brady Murray. His strong play all season has allowed Blais to split Zach and Bo, helping build the scoring depth we'll need down the stretch.

I found that kinda surprising, even more than Zach? Maybe Blais was just caught up in the emotions of the moment & temporarily forgot about Zach :love:

Blais has mentioned this a few times before on radio shows. He said Fabian has a fantastic work ethic and spends a lot of time working on his skating beyond practice. Brian Canady mentioned it again when he was Tim Hennessy's guest between periods over the weekend. Brad Berry has spent a lot of extra time working with Fabian. It's clear that he has the type of work ethic that Blais appreciates.

I wouldn't go that far! Smaby will be a stud eventually. It's harder for defensemen to come into their own when they go up a skill level. He'll be good eventually, the only reason you're saying he's a disappointment is because the only time you notice defense is when it makes a mistake. (unless you concentrate on just the defenders)

I honestly think we have a great crop of rookies who will all be ROTY this year! Murry, JPar, Stafford are just slightly faster developers/bigger studs.

I think J Par's recent play will take him out of the running.

You never know. I'm sure he'll get another start this season. If not this weekend, then it will be against Tech. If he gets a shutout, then he had a very good season. Though, I believe that Murray's was better.

You never know.  I'm sure he'll get another start this season.  If not this weekend, then it will be against Tech.  If he gets a shutout, then he had a very good season.  Though, I  believe that Murray's was better.

Yes, he has had a good first year. I just can't imagine him winning ROTY when Zach didn't last year.

Yes, he has had a good first year. I just can't imagine him winning ROTY when Zach didn't last year.

That's because minny didn't want us getting so many. :)

How many WCHA Rookie of the Year do the Sioux have anyways? I believe Brandon was and someone in front of him. Bayda maybe? I'm guessing Goering, and I know Landon Wilson was one.

It seems like we can win this award quite often.l