SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA about to go back in time?

SWSiouxMN

This has been bantered about a bit now. Football already had two year rule. NCAA wants to "protect it's investment," and do "what's best for the student-athlete." They are trying to play this chip as a part of paying athletes. There is some push back, like talk of going overseas for basketball. I presume there is other options for hockey as well. Athletes also asking for other eligibility requirements. Things are changing, hopefully for the better...

This has been bantered about a bit now. Football already had two year rule. NCAA wants to "protect it's investment," and do "what's best for the student-athlete." They are trying to play this chip as a part of paying athletes. There is some push back, like talk of going overseas for basketball. I presume there is other options for hockey as well. Athletes also asking for other eligibility requirements. Things are changing, hopefully for the better...

The NBA doesn't allow players to go from high school straight to the NBA.  

The Diamondback, the student newspaper at Maryland, reported Thursday that the Big Ten is circulating a document titled "A Year of Readiness," which explores making freshmen in football and men's basketball ineligible for competition.

Maryland's athletic council met Thursday afternoon to discuss the document, The Diamondback reported.

"If they do well because they spend more time, get more academic advising ... their freshman year, they're going to graduate," Maryland president Wallace Loh told the newspaper. "And I think it's worth spending an extra year of financial support to ensure that they graduate."

So when does the NCAA"s five-year clock start? Is the clock running for that "ineligible freshman" so effectively everyone redshirts? 

Better yet, if this is such a wonderful idea, why just football and mens basketball? Why not all sports? Is there something different about the "student-athlete" being recruited in those sports that potentially makes them need to "get more academic advising" than other recruits? <-- That is rhetorical, meaning it does not expect or want anyone to directly answer it, because it is a grenade without a pin. But it would be interesting to hear the B1G explain their singling out those two sports. 

If the schools are worried about how their freshman recruits are doing academically, why aren't they recruiting better students who are athletes (instead of athletes who might be students)? 

I think this would be stupid for any sport. If you are ready to play you should be able to play. This whole discussion will probably go away if the NBA ups the draft age to 20 like they have been discussed. If they actually did set a rule where Freshmen couldn't play I think there would be a lot of top end basketball players who would just go play overseas for a year and then enter the draft. One of the top NBA draft prospects is actually playing in China instead of college this year as well. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11246862/emmanuel-mudiay-signs-12-million-deal-china

This rule is being looked at by commisioners of other conferences as well.  IMO, this rule would have an effect on small schools for basketball and FCS football (if that is the only sports chosen).  If for some reason they would decide to do this, you can bet scholorship limits would be raised for P5 schools to help with concerns about depth.  The recruiting pool becomes smaller for smaller schools.

I feel that is what is driving this.  Raise scholorship limits, gobble up more of the talent and further widen the gap between P5 and everyone else.  For football and basketball, there is no harm in sitting on the bench for a year if everyone is doing it and the NFL and NBA have age limit restrictions.

I think this would be stupid for any sport. If you are ready to play you should be able to play. This whole discussion will probably go away if the NBA ups the draft age to 20 like they have been discussed. If they actually did set a rule where Freshmen couldn't play I think there would be a lot of top end basketball players who would just go play overseas for a year and then enter the draft. One of the top NBA draft prospects is actually playing in China instead of college this year as well. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11246862/emmanuel-mudiay-signs-12-million-deal-china

Being "ready to play" is fine-and-dandy, but let's end the charade of "student-athletes" with respect to college basketball. Does anyone here REALLY think 75% of this year's Kentucky freshmen will attend a class once the tournament starts?