SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Top 100 NHL Prospects

morley

Nice list.  I might move Thompson up (still young and a great skater) and I think Ausmus is even higher than that (best NHL body on the team).

I put Thompson at #9 just because he's only going to get better and is still so young.  I would guess that if we made this list a year from now he'd jump a few spots.

I debated with substituting Ausmus in for either MacMillan or Parks...just wasn't sure which one.  Hard to say which one will do better in the NHL.  Right now I'd say Parks just because of his work along the boards and excellent reach, but who knows.  :)

I put Thompson at #9 just because he's only going to get better and is still so young. I would guess that if we made this list a year from now he'd jump a few spots.

I debated with substituting Ausmus in for either MacMillan or Parks...just wasn't sure which one. Hard to say which one will do better in the NHL. Right now I'd say Parks just because of his work along the boards and excellent reach, but who knows. :)

If Parks goes to the Flyers than he will be better. Just fits what they want to do so well.

Surprised Stecher isn't making more appearances.  There are bigger guys, faster guys, older guys, but if we're choosing teams I know which defenseman I'm picking first.  Size is a huge NHL issue, I understand, but he seems to have "it", the hockey sense that has him in the right place ahead of time.

Surprised Stecher isn't making more appearances.  There are bigger guys, faster guys, older guys, but if we're choosing teams I know which defenseman I'm picking first.  Size is a huge NHL issue, I understand, but he seems to have "it", the hockey sense that has him in the right place ahead of time.

It seems like our "smaller" defensemen don't get much of a look, like Chay Genoway, for example. And as long as I brought him up, how does Stecher compare with Genoway?

It seems like our "smaller" defensemen don't get much of a look, like Chay Genoway, for example. And as long as I brought him up, how does Stecher compare with Genoway?

IMO, Stecher's defense is way better.  Also, I believe the injury set Chay back a lot.

Stecher is outstanding.  He can play on any Sioux team.  The issue is he is undrafted and undersized...not promising for the NHL.  

If you asked me to rate our dmen this year it is very different than my NHL prospect analysis.

UND best dmen this year:

1.  Stecher

2. Ausmus

3.  Schmaltz

4.  LaDue

5. Poolman

6. Mattson

7. Thompson

8. Panz

Just to recap that means they have UND Prospects as

10. Jewels

9. LJ

No one who took a shot listed Johnson, other than yzers Honorable Mention.  What am i missing about that kid?  I think the defensive comment is a joke. 

No he does have a decent defensive mind and he knows where to be.  The article did mess one thing up, I believe they said he would fill out more or get bigger and that won't happen.  That kid is an ox.  However, the article did mention he is a plus skater and I wouldn't go that far.  He has to stop taking dumb penalties and he has to become more consistent (over an entire season). 

No he does have a decent defensive mind and he knows where to be.  The article did mess one thing up, I believe they said he would fill out more or get bigger and that won't happen.  That kid is an ox.  However, the article did mention he is a plus skater and I wouldn't go that far.  He has to stop taking dumb penalties and he has to become more consistent (over an entire season). 

Maybe this is my problem that i cannot see past the idea that he plays his best when he feels like he has to make up for something.  I cannot stand how often we find him in the box. 

No he does have a decent defensive mind and he knows where to be. The article did mess one thing up, I believe they said he would fill out more or get bigger and that won't happen. That kid is an ox. However, the article did mention he is a plus skater and I wouldn't go that far. He has to stop taking dumb penalties and he has to become more consistent (over an entire season).

In physical maturity they may not have meant size. Maybe just becoming a man instead of a boy? Could get stronger and faster without getting bigger.