SiouxSports.com Forum

Does this years('14-'15) forward group deserve more credit?

yababy8

I think the reason some of us characterize this team's forwards as being working class rather than elite stems from two years ago when Hak put together a very good year with players nobody thought would even get a lot of ice time once some people healed and more talent came in.   Well, those guys have proven to be very good hockey players.  

Much as I love this team's forwards, they would not be as successful as they are without an unusually offensively talented bunch of Dmen.  This defensive crew is something. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure if I'd agree Frattin was a one trick pony. He was a pony that had a laser wrist shot, hit harder than any forward on the team, muscled through defenders to score huge goals(i.e. SCSU), and had a rocket one timer... some might call that a horse

Don't get me wrong, I only used the word pony as a play on words for Malone. Fratten was absolutely awesome at what he did; power skate through anyone and blast a lazer accurate shot past the stunned net minder.

In the end what else do you need in a forward.. Shortly after his return from his expulsion his junior year I predicted he would be a Hobey Baker finalist the next year so no one can accuse me of undervaluing him at all.

I just think this group brings much more to the table through their puck moving and associated playmaking. They are fast and quick yet slow the pace down in a moment to let a play develop which takes a combination of pace, timing and vision.

I have posted many times over the last several years on here about my opinion that our forwards need to be more deliberate around the net and not play so frantically. Think of how Rocco would basically spinout because he was not respecting timing as he did EVERYTHING fast. This is the first group in a long time that I think excels in this area...

I cringed when they added to the "Who's he, he sucks". But what do you do

oh no, what have they added to it?  Count me in the crowd who can't stand stolen chants...from ex-JV basketball players from the TC suburbs who know about as much about hockey as they do about scoring with the ladies...

I only see a couple games in person each year (generally around Thanksgiving- so student section isn't there)

oh no, what have they added to it?  Count me in the crowd who can't stand stolen chants...from ex-JV basketball players from the TC suburbs who know about as much about hockey as they do about scoring with the ladies...

I only see a couple games in person each year (generally around Thanksgiving- so student section isn't there)

Back in 87 they were already doing the "Who's He? He Sucks, SH**, Sideways" chant...at least in my section. :)

Wait what? I thought they still said "he sucks sh**". Don't think you have to go back to 87 for that. I remember the students saying that and I was born in 87! :)

It was "Who's she?  She sucks s#!t" back in the early eighties.  But I sat in a rowdier section than most.   :hypocrite:

My nugget to add is this, this is the first time in a long time, I have absolutely no fear when someone takes a penalty.  Between Zane and this team's ability to score a man short, the "always were" chant is finally correct.

Absolutely! I love our PK. So good at denying space and we win LOADS of those end board battles and are good at getting rid of the puck. Only a couple times this year have we lost those. Our forwards are great at the point on the PK and have a big time knack for putting away shorties on turnovers.

You guys really jinxed us this past weekend..... :angry:

I like that Parks and Mac seem to have finally taken that extra step and are now putting in the goals we expected from them as sophs and juniors.  Same goes for OD.  Gaarder and Pattyn are annual overachievers, and give their all every shift.  St. Clair has come along, but for the guy who replaced Frattin when he left, well...I have been waiting for that breakout performance and haven't seen it yet, but he has improved over the past two seasons.  Nick Schmaltz is absolutely the best playmaker we've had in years, his vision and hands are something else.  Chyz has become another in a long line of Sioux forwards who are very difficult to get off the puck (VandeVelde comes to mind).  And Caggiula, well...he's got the moves and the wheels.  Just get him the puck in the slot more often.

And I like what Trevor Olson brings to the game, looking forward to having him back.  LJ could be losing a slot if he doesn't watch out.

But...with all this talent, I still want more.

I want a new Trupp.  I sure wish injuries hadn't robbed us of so much ice time from him.

(apologies to Huey Lewis)

• Upvote 1