SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Nebraska Omaha - Gobble Gobble

AZSIOUX

For me, it's just beating a dead horse. Blais is just simply never coming back, whether people like it or not. Why waste time on talking about the past when we have a great team on the ice this season working towards No. 8? I feel like the postseason is a much more appropriate time to talk about it any way.

The talk about how many "nattys" Hak hasn't won and how Blais is so much better is just worn out. We've been talking about it for years and it ends up going in circles with one side thinking Hak is God and the other thinking Blais is.

Simply put... Blais won us titles... great. Hak hasn't... bummer. Blais isn't coming back..... Hak is a great coach, but has yet to win the big one we all crave... I think we all hope he gets us one. Why continue to beat this issue to death?

I find it funny that some are talking about getting rid of coach Hakstol when he's had a winning record every year that he's been here. His teams have been to six Frozen Fours in the last 10 seasons won quite a few titles playoff and league and  that's not good enough. The NCAA title is going to come eventually. It's hard to win an NCAA title, they don't just drop in his lap. I am not sure who the Anti-Hakstol fans would replace him with. Frankly, I wouldn't replace him with any of the current NCHC coaches.

Also, Hakstol has a .640 winning percentage in those 10 seasons.

• Upvote 1

For me, it's just beating a dead horse. Blais is just simply never coming back, whether people like it or not. Why waste time on talking about the past when we have a great team on the ice this season working towards No. 8? I feel like the postseason is a much more appropriate time to talk about it any way.

The talk about how many "nattys" Hak hasn't won and how Blais is so much better is just worn out. We've been talking about it for years and it ends up going in circles with one side thinking Hak is God and the other thinking Blais is.

Simply put... Blais won us titles... great. Hak hasn't... bummer. Blais isn't coming back..... Hak is a great coach, but has yet to win the big one we all crave... I think we all hope he gets us one. Why continue to beat this issue to death?

Yeah, to me it's more of a discussion topic for the offseason.  And generally when it comes up, I choose not to ride the merry-go-round discussion that repeats itself over and over. Myself, I'm happy we're at 9-3-1 through 13 games instead of 4-7-2 like last year. Also, I'm excited about this upcoming series and hoping we can remind Ryan Massa that he's a sub .900 save percentage goalie. :D

• Upvote 2

Yeah, to me it's more of a discussion topic for the offseason.  And generally when it comes up, I choose not to ride the merry-go-round discussion that repeats itself over and over. Myself, I'm happy we're at 9-3-1 through 13 games instead of 4-7-2 like last year. Also, I'm excited about this upcoming series and hoping we can remind Ryan Massa that he's a sub .900 save percentage goalie. :D

EXACTLY! We're 9-3-1.... To steal a line from PA... Blais? Massa? Hakstol? Let's GO!

...Simply put... Blais won us titles... great. Hak hasn't... bummer. Blais isn't coming back..... Hak is a great coach, but has yet to win the big one we all crave... I think we all hope he gets us one. Why continue to beat this issue to death?

I wasn't insinuating anything about Blais being more worthy & needing to return. Now that would be beating a dead horse.

But the conversation is relevant after a major power like ND goes 11+ years without a national title under a certain coach & with all the firepower he has had during his tenure.

I realize that the college hockey landscape has changed, but coaches, like players, are great because of more than just luck. 

Are coaches like Bill Belichik in football, Darry Sutter in hockey, Nick Saban at the college level just plain lucky at winning titles? Or are they kings of strategy & bring out the best in their players in playoff scenarios when it really matters?

Is it still beating a dead horse if the Sioux are without a national championship after 15-20 years & someone mentions the coaching aspect as possibly the reason?

• Upvote 1

I wasn't insinuating anything about Blais being more worthy & needing to return. Now that would be beating a dead horse.

But the conversation is relevant after a major power like ND goes 11+ years without a national title under a certain coach & with all the firepower he has had during his tenure.

I realize that the college hockey landscape has changed, but coaches, like players, are great because of more than just luck.

Are coaches like Bill Belichik in football, Darry Sutter in hockey, Nick Saban at the college level just plain lucky at winning titles? Or are they kings of strategy & bring out the best in their players in playoff scenarios when it really matters?

Is it still beating a dead horse if the Sioux are without a national championship after 15-20 years & someone mentions the coaching aspect as the reason?

No. So can we resume this repetitive conversation 4-9 more years then? It's just so worn out and there's never any new info. It's the same people, making the same arguments on both sides. Just enjoy the season. If we don't win a title, bring it back up. It makes ZERO sense to do it now.

Anyone care to talk about this weekend??? I, for one, love this team. Love how we skate and forecheck. Can't wait to shut Massa up.

• Upvote 2

No. So can we resume this repetitive conversation 4-9 more years then? It's just so worn out and there's never any new info. It's the same people, making the same arguments on both sides. Just enjoy the season. If we don't win a title, bring it back up. It makes ZERO sense to do it now.

Anyone care to talk about this weekend??? I, for one, love this team. Love how we skate and forecheck. Can't wait to shut Massa up.

... and Ortega 

I wasn't trying to create any division by saying that Hakstol wasn't a good coach. Of course he is & he has a winning record to prove it.

But when discussing the reasons why a national championship haven't been achieved in such a long time, every factor needs to be considered: The players, coaches, facilities, the fan environment, everything.

If I were a Western Michigan or Alabama-Huntsville fan, I would just be content that my local college had a hockey program & that I got to see a couple of games every other weekend.

But as a Sioux hockey fan, & like fans of other proud traditions who are accustomed to winning & dominating on a regular basis, everything should be on the table when discussing why a championship hasn't been won for so long. No one or no thing is off-limits so a likely reason can be found through civil consensus for what the program is lacking.

• Upvote 1

Agreed that this is a topic better left for the off-season. IF it needs to be brought up this next summer, that is.  :) 

Take the coach talk to a diff thread. Ortega don't poke the bear bro. Didn't a player from Boston (or someone east coast) tweet something last year like 'nothing up here but 4 points.' Did we split that or take 3 of 4?

You might not want to read this site, there's a lot of that talk in almost every thread. 

If you're looking for bulletin board material from Ortega...I'd say keep looking. Don't know how you can find anything motivational in that comment. Although I have no idea why he said that same thing. Did UND tell UNO they will never score on them or something? 

If you're looking for bulletin board material from Ortega...I'd say keep looking. Don't know how you can find anything motivational in that comment. Although I have no idea why he said that same thing. Did UND tell UNO they will never score on them or something? 

If you're looking for bulletin board material, put a cork in it.  ;)

I looked at it as a compliment that in the post-game interview he is already thinking of us.

It reminded me a little of when a Gopher player was being interviewed a year or two ago and said the atmosphere "felt like we were playing North Dakota". :)

• Upvote 2