SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

On 6/23/2024 at 10:16 PM, MafiaMan said:

HOME jerseys?  

The coach said in an interview that the blue jersey is going to be the home and a black jersey as the road jersey for Tennessee State. 

Rule 9 - Uniforms
9.1 Jerseys - Each player and each goalkeeper listed in the lineup of each team shall wear an individual identifying number at least 10 inches high on the back of the jersey and at least 4 inches high on the front or on both sleeves. The visiting team shall wear dark-colored jerseys and stockings; the home team shall wear light-colored jerseys and stockings. Uniform numbers must be a light-colored number on dark jerseys and a dark-colored number on light jerseys. All players of each team shall dress uniformly in that day’s game jersey. Light-colored jerseys (e.g., white, gold, yellow or light blue) may be worn during the regular season by the visiting team only when the teams have agreed before the game. If the teams are unable to agree, the visiting team will wear dark-colored jerseys. The number of the jersey shall contrast the overall jersey color

https://www.achahockey.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/09/NCAA-Rules-2022_2024.pdf 

• 3 weeks later...

With Jamestown officially moving to D2.  Is there any chance that they look to add hockey?  They seem to be funding their ACHA D1 program... anyone know if the players have to pitch in a couple grand like at other "club" programs?  Is the playing surface at the Jamestown Civic Center too small to make a renovation for hockey feasible?

Actually NFW they go D1 hockey. They have 3 teams to support now in ACHA: men’s D1, men’s D2 and women’s. Ice may be good but arena is 50 years old and small. There is no $$ and no facilities for D1. City civic center would have to rebuild to accommodate.  Players mostly pay for school with as much scholarships as possible to help. 

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

Simon Fraser will be playing LIU, Sacred Heart, Robert Morris, LSSU, BGSU, St. Lawerence, UMass, Lowell, Alaska, and Lindenwood so far.

Coach said on a podcast a few months ago that he was anticipating a D1 home game this year.  Hope that develops.

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

Simon Fraser will be playing LIU, Sacred Heart, Robert Morris, LSSU, BGSU, St. Lawerence, UMass, Lowell, Alaska, and Lindenwood so far.

I'd love to get a list of all the Club teams who have D1 games scheduled this year.  So far we have Simon Fraser, Grand Canyon, and UNLV, correct?  I don't recall if Arizona is playing ASU again.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

I'd love to get a list of all the Club teams who have D1 games scheduled this year.  So far we have Simon Fraser, Grand Canyon, and UNLV, correct?  I don't recall if Arizona is playing ASU again.

From what I've seen so far those are the only ones. When looking at schedule's there are teams not showing exhibition games. 

Simon Fraser also is still adding games as far as I can tell.

19 minutes ago, cberkas said:

From what I've seen so far those are the only ones. When looking at schedule's there are teams not showing exhibition games. 

Simon Fraser also is still adding games as far as I can tell.

Sure looks like a good group of western universities trying to drive interest. Simon Fraser places NCAA in other sports don't they? In long run with no Pac 12 anymore, the conference realignments can be crazy for hockey if some of these come in. I'm sure the NCHC would love to drop Miami for any of these western teams. 

3 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

Sure looks like a good group of western universities trying to drive interest. Simon Fraser places NCAA in other sports don't they? In long run with no Pac 12 anymore, the conference realignments can be crazy for hockey if some of these come in. I'm sure the NCHC would love to drop Miami for any of these western teams. 

Yep they are a full NCAA D2 institution.  They haven't had an athletic director for about a year now.  The school is restructuring their athletic department after dropping FB due to budgeting issues.  Despite the poor timing with the budget issues, I could potentially see them add hockey as part of the process, given that they are able to afford what they're currently doing without a much help from the University.

On 7/23/2024 at 12:03 PM, nodak651 said:

Yep they are a full NCAA D2 institution.  They haven't had an athletic director for about a year now.  The school is restructuring their athletic department after dropping FB due to budgeting issues.  Despite the poor timing with the budget issues, I could potentially see them add hockey as part of the process, given that they are able to afford what they're currently doing without a much help from the University.

I would also think a University in Vancouver would draw much better for Hockey then they do for American FB. But they also are competiting against the CHL for fans...

BU Athletic Director Gene Marshall Talks NIL, Provides Update on - WICZ

"We're probably not going to do field hockey. In a perfect world, we'd have men's and women's ice hockey," Marshall said. "We still have some logistics to work out. We still don't have an arena right now. So those are some of the logistics that have to work out in time. But at this moment, my focus is on the 21 teams that we have to continue to raise the bar. We have a new indoor practice facility that's going to open or be completed hopefully in November. We have the outdoor throwing area that's just about completed. We've done resident renovations in this building and so we've been pretty busy and we're going to keep hockey on the burner. We'll see how that goes."

Binghampton news

On 7/26/2024 at 5:44 PM, cberkas said:

Pretty sure there were rumors that the local FPHL team was going to leave town, but they have since won a championship and renewed their arena contract with the city.  Gotta think that may have played a factor, as Binghampton was probably eying that downtown arena.

I emailed their Senior Deputy AD, Dennis Kalina, in May, and his response was similar to the quote from Gene Marshal, posted above.  My email exchange with Gene's #2 (Kalina) is below:

Me: "It's been about a year since it was discussed that Binghamton was looking to add NCAA Hockey.  Is that still something that is still under development and on your radar, or is that no longer something that is a possibility?"

Him: "We are still working toward adding a men’s ice hockey team. The year for the first season of the new varsity has not been determined at this time."

Disappointing news, but glass half full, both people could have easily cited the House ruling as a reason for ending the pursuit of hockey.  At least both left it on the table, and in the response to my email, the second sentence implies that hockey is more of a "when" rather than "if" situation.  I understand the realities, but you never know... the donor who paid for their new $60 million dollar baseball facility could also be interested in helping to start hockey.

• Upvote 1

Listened to an interview with UNLV's head coach, and he said once their season ends, he reaches out to NCAA D1 schools to schedule them for the next season. He was saying he'd like to have a hybrid schedule each season for when they move up.

On 8/9/2024 at 10:48 AM, cberkas said:

ACC adds 4 more teams to their ACHA D1 conference

I was listening to the Hockey House Podcast interview with the NC State head coach. He said the conference wants to get to 8 teams in the North and 8 teams in the South. So, a 16 team super conference in ACHA hockey.

Sean Hogan, new director of College Hockey Inc., brought up in 2 interviews that they are working with around half dozen schools looking to add hockey. He also said 3 to 4 are close to adding D1 and he brought up that there is a NCAA D3 conference (all sports) looking at adding hockey. 

I could see during the Las Vegas Frozen Four that UNLV announces they will move up to NCAA D1. This was brought up on a UNLV post when they announced the D1 schools they are going to play. 

The groundbreaking for the Arizona Wildcats is supposed to happen here soon.

College Hockey Coast 2 Coast Se 2 Ep 6 Aug 12, 2024 | ITHSWpodcasts (podbean.com)

Recent Shows – The Pipeline Show

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Sean Hogan, new director of College Hockey Inc., brought up in 2 interviews that they are working with around half dozen schools looking to add hockey. He also said 3 to 4 are close to adding D1 and he brought up that there is a NCAA D3 conference (all sports) looking at adding hockey. 

I could see during the Las Vegas Frozen Four that UNLV announces they will move up to NCAA D1. This was brought up on a UNLV post when they announced the D1 schools they are going to play. 

The groundbreaking for the Arizona Wildcats is supposed to happen here soon.

College Hockey Coast 2 Coast Se 2 Ep 6 Aug 12, 2024 | ITHSWpodcasts (podbean.com)

Recent Shows – The Pipeline Show

Not that it means anything exactly, but it's interesting that Grand Canyon is playing up in Alaska this year.