SiouxSports.com Forum

Probable Two Deep Roster

geaux_sioux

I've always been an advocate for FBS transfers and JUCOs if they increase competition and make the team better; however, there are some on this board who are enamored with the NDSU blueprint and they dislike bringing in transfers.

I for one agree that recruiting is the most important way to build a team, and I think Bubba's first freshmen recruiting class is a dandy, but the JUCOs and FBS transfers are also full of potential.

In the end, Bubba's philosophy and discipline should be applicable to all players. The rest is up to the talent and mindset of the players.

If people think FBS transfers are bad must have missed out on the performances by Braden Hanson!! I don't care if the kid is a freshman out of HS or a kid transferring from a JUCO/FBS team if he helps the team I am all for it.

Thanks for the link UND Colorado. Given your name, I assumed you'd know some history. I watched the video which was pretty darn good. I'd love to see that on the field for UND.

Darell1976...... Wholeheartedly agree with you. I would prefer a program that could survive on pure recruiting. That idiot Mussman and his staff left too many holes to fill through the normal recruiting process. Historically, JUCO kids can be a little risky from an academic standpoint. They are at a JUCO because most of the time, they couldn't gain admission into a four year school. Any time you get a transfer, there are sure to be question marks as to "why" a kid leaves Houston or Minnesota and comes to North Dakota. Regardless, I do hope that Bubba has established some discipline and accountability for everyone on the team. If that's the case, they can bring in anyone they want.

I think the NDSU mold is the way to go. People often forget that they had significant contributions from JUCOs when they got good and used some to fill holes as they recruited HS kids to those holes. They understood that even if they wanted to build their team out of all non juco non transfers that they couldn't do that from the start by forcing kids who aren't ready into the starting lineup like we did with players like Mackey and many others. They had a lot of good CB transfers that sured up their d. From there they built depth for the future behind the transfers. It's obviously worked.

Bottom line, fill a hole with the best option regardless of where they come from, just don't rely on transfers every year.

I think the NDSU mold is the way to go. People often forget that they had significant contributions from JUCOs when they got good and used some to fill holes as they recruited HS kids to those holes. They understood that even if they wanted to build their team out of all non juco non transfers that they couldn't do that from the start by forcing kids who aren't ready into the starting lineup like we did with players like Mackey and many others. They had a lot of good CB transfers that sured up their d. From there they built depth for the future behind the transfers. It's obviously worked.

Bottom line, fill a hole with the best option regardless of where they come from, just don't rely on transfers every year.

There's no right way or wrong way if it works. Before everyone fell in love with NDSU's way of doing things, Eastern Washington won a national title with an FBS transfer at QB.

As far as Im concerned, it goes on a case by case basis. If there are a lot of talented transfers, then go that way. If there are talented underclassmen that can develop, go that way. Bottom line is discipline, leadership, and philosophy is important from the coaching staff and we didn't have that with Mussman.

Solid recruiting is always crucial to success, but a few top notch transfers can really improve a team so there's no use to ignore them.

Took my daughter to swimming lessons at UND pool tonight and wandered over to Memorial for a few minutes. The boys were out playing 7 on 7, and as I took my seat on the running track in the shade, Tillman took a pick 6 about 55 yards the other way. The QB saw a brief opening and tried to zing it in there, but "Till" closed quick, stepped in front and he was gone. That man is seriously cut as far as muscle tone and looks to be showing some leadership out there. That's about all I saw in the brief time I was there tonight.

Took my daughter to swimming lessons at UND pool tonight and wandered over to Memorial for a few minutes. The boys were out playing 7 on 7, and as I took my seat on the running track in the shade, Tillman took a pick 6 about 55 yards the other way. The QB saw a brief opening and tried to zing it in there, but "Till" closed quick, stepped in front and he was gone. That man is seriously cut as far as muscle tone and looks to be showing some leadership out there. That's about all I saw in the brief time I was there tonight.

Can't wait to see that pick 6 in the regular season.

This is off topic, but is Memorial open to the publicat all? I have gone to watch camp and some 7 on 7 play, but I have always sat outside the gate at the end of the stadium. Is it only open when the athletes are there, or can students go run on the track?

• 3 weeks later...

Here on August 1st is my guess at the starting lineup on August 28th vs. San Jose State.

QB Joe Mollberg

RB Cedric Simmons

FB Dustin Iverson

TE Zach Adler

WR1 RJ McGIll

WR2 Casey Young

LT AJ Stockwell

LG Brandon Anderson

C Colton Boas

RG Sean Meehan

RT Devin Barton

LE Alec Carrothers

RE Jordan Hinojosa

NG Shea Walker

OLB Marcus Jenkins-Moore

OLB Dayo Idowu

MLB Ben Peters

MLB Will Ratelle

CB Alex Tillman

CB Dominique Blackmon

FS Chris Hannible

SS Baylee Carr

K Reid Taubenheim

P Mitch Meindel

There are several positions of uncertainty. QB could see Ryan Bartels; RB could see Adam Shaugabay; FB could have Dewayne Pecosky start; WR could have Miguel Cerriteno or Tyhre Ivery start; and OL could see AJ Stockwell not start causing one of the guards (likely Anderson) to swing outside to tackle – lot of question marks.

I’m a little more certain with the defense, with the one exception being safety. I believe Chris Hannible will crack the starting lineup at the expense of Cole Reyes.

Here on August 1st is my guess at the starting lineup on August 28th vs. San Jose State.

QB Joe Mollberg

RB Cedric Simmons

FB Dustin Iverson

TE Zach Adler

WR1 RJ McGIll

WR2 Casey Young

LT AJ Stockwell

LG Brandon Anderson

C Colton Boas

RG Sean Meehan

RT Devin Barton

LE Alec Carrothers

RE Jordan Hinojosa

NG Shea Walker

OLB Marcus Jenkins-Moore

OLB Dayo Idowu

MLB Ben Peters

MLB Will Ratelle

CB Alex Tillman

CB Dominique Blackmon

FS Chris Hannible

SS Baylee Carr

K Reid Taubenheim

P Mitch Meindel

There are several positions of uncertainty. QB could see Ryan Bartels; RB could see Adam Shaugabay; FB could have Dewayne Pecosky start; WR could have Miguel Cerriteno or Tyhre Ivery start; and OL could see AJ Stockwell not start causing one of the guards (likely Anderson) to swing outside to tackle – lot of question marks.

I’m a little more certain with the defense, with the one exception being safety. I believe Chris Hannible will crack the starting lineup at the expense of Cole Reyes.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bakker started.

QB Joe Mollberg

RB Cedric Simmons

FB Dustin Iverson

TE Zach Adler

WR1 RJ McGIll

WR2 Casey Young

LT AJ Stockwell

LG Brandon Anderson

C Colton Boas

RG Sean Meehan

RT Devin Barton

LE Alec Carrothers

RE Jordan Hinojosa

NG Shea Walker

OLB Marcus Jenkins-Moore

OLB Dayo Idowu

MLB Ben Peters

MLB Will Ratelle

CB Alex Tillman

CB Dominique Blackmon

FS Chris Hannible

SS Baylee Carr

K Reid Taubenheim

P Mitch Meindel

I've heard that Reyes is likely a shoe-in to start, as he is just as good if not better than Kuksa was last year. Really wish we had a Kuksa/Reyes safety combo for the next three years.....

Also, SFI seems to think that Hinojosa will start out at NT. I think as the year goes on he will be moved to DE if that does happen, as I like our line with him at DE (and hopefully Cummings actually plays with a bit of a mean streak this year).

There are some rumors about Walker missing some games for some reason to start the season. I hope they aren't true. I will also publicly acknowledge that I was wrong about Carr because it appears he is back. I am excited to see the product Bubba puts on the field. I know the boys will carry a more competitive attitude and I promise you we won't see the antics on the sideline that we saw last year.

I should also note that I've heard that the WR spot is completely up for grabs (I know Bubba mentioned every spot is, but this one is very high on my list right after OL), and it's entirely possible that one of our True Freshmen could be the number 1 guy by the end of fall camp based on what I've heard.

I should also note that I've heard that the WR spot is completely up for grabs (I know Bubba mentioned every spot is, but this one is very high on my list right after OL), and it's entirely possible that one of our True Freshmen could be the number 1 guy by the end of fall camp based on what I've heard.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ivery burst onto the scene in camp. A new coaching staff is just what the doctor ordered for him.

I'm also very intrigued to see how Ferguson does.

It appears Jace Hellman may get a shot at center, making the potential starting o-line look something like:

LT Devin Barton

LG Brandon Anderson

C Jace Hellman

RG Ben Henson

RT Sean Meehan

Of course, JUCO transfer Colton Boas may crack the lineup at center or right guard once he gets more familiar with the offense.

It appears Jace Hellman may get a shot at center, making the potential starting o-line look something like:

LT Devin Barton

LG Brandon Anderson

C Jace Hellman

RG Ben Henson

RT Sean Meehan

Of course, JUCO transfer Colton Boas may crack the lineup at center or right guard once he gets more familiar with the offense.

I noticed that line in the picture posted today as well. Had to look at the roster to find out who was in each position.

LT Devin Barton

LG Brandon Anderson

C Jace Hellman

RG Ben Henson

RT Sean Meehan

It would be pretty surprising if Henson could crack the starting lineup as a fifth-year senior who hasn't played OL in a game since high school.

LT Devin Barton

LG Brandon Anderson

C Jace Hellman

RG Ben Henson

RT Sean Meehan

I hope to God that isn't the starting OL for the first game....