SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

There is no DI-AA, there is only DI. You are playing for the same championship as every other DI school in every sport except football. Even in football at the FCS level, the spending is way more than DII. The only schools in the NCC that could afford to be DI are the Dakotas. The rest would need to restructure to be DI, look at UNO. Someone finally had the balls the leave the NCC, and that was Chapman.

It would've been nice if UNO moved up at the same time and kept football ( no thanks to Trev Alberts), and I think if it wasn't for the U of M both Mankato and Duluth could've moved up and play in the FCS.

It would've been nice if UNO moved up at the same time and kept football ( no thanks to Trev Alberts), and I think if it wasn't for the U of M both Mankato and Duluth could've moved up and play in the FCS.

I would have thought that SCSU could have moved up. Their commitment and alumni support is much weaker though.

I would have thought that SCSU could have moved up. Their commitment and alumni support is much weaker though.

There was talk of them dropping football so going FCS wouldn't work for them. They could survive the UNO route and drop football and go to the Summit.

Mankato, SC, and Duluth can't go DI with their same sports. Football would be gone at all 3, assuming Hockey would be chosen as their priority sport. I could see Mankato dropping hockey to keep FB at the DI level, but not at SC or UMD. To be honest, being able to afford hockey and FB was a DI deterent at UND. NDSU is better equipped to have FB success for this reason.

From a DII power to a bottom feeder. The first NCC team to move up and I don't think (including transistion) they have ever had a winning record.

They have struggled in Greeley. The support and facilities are far behind FU, UND and others that have moved up. I want them to succeed, just because they are nearby and give me a chance to see UND play from time to time.

However, their men's basketball team has done fairly well. Football, not so much...

Mankato, SC, and Duluth can't go DI with their same sports. Football would be gone at all 3, assuming Hockey would be chosen as their priority sport. I could see Mankato dropping hockey to keep FB at the DI level, but not at SC or UMD. To be honest, being able to afford hockey and FB was a DI deterent at UND. NDSU is better equipped to have FB success for this reason.

I'll be paying attention to the Purple Cows of Mankota football team this fall. That soap opera could be interesting.

If the Summit or the Big Sky, with their current structure and membership, continues on as they are I personally don't feel either one is a final destination for the peer group that the four Dakota universities should be competing against. In many respects neither conference is much different than the old NCC, a mix of pretenders and contenders at the D-1 level.

There you go darell 1976, bringing weeds into a discussion about lawns.

Minnesota-Duluth, Minnesota State University-Mankato, University of Northern Colorado, University Nebraska-Omaha, St. Cloud State University, and the like will only be millstones around the neck of any D-1 institutions that have conference affiliations with them. They are the weeds. USD. NDSU, SDSU, UND is the grass. Now I realize that with many of those there is an exception when it comes to hockey, but I have always felt UND's hockey deserved to be of University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin caliber not the former. Does that answer your what darell1976?

There is no DI-AA, there is only DI. You are playing for the same championship as every other DI school in every sport except football. Even in football at the FCS level, the spending is way more than DII. The only schools in the NCC that could afford to be DI are the Dakotas. The rest would need to restructure to be DI, look at UNO. Someone finally had the balls the leave the NCC, and that was Chapman.

Depends on how fare back you want to go UNI has been solid at FCS/I-AA since they left and UNC left before the Dakota schools. UNC got hurt by the loss of a major donor. But, they are starting to get established at D-1 now. Chapman had the easiest call on D-1 of all the Dakota schools. NDSU does not fund womens sports at the same level of the other Dakota schools. SDSU has to fund title IX at 50/50. NDSU funds Title IX at 60/40. Which is kind of sad because NDSU has the largest female enrollment of all Dakota schools.

IMO - Toughest call going D-1

USD had the toughest call going D-1.. F/M ratio of 60/40 (in general ladies are not into sports), fund Title IX at 50/50, plus a much smaller enrollment and small local market.

SDSU must fund Title IX at 50/50 which matches enrollment ratio of 49/52, small local market. NOTE: SDSU added equestrian to go D-1 - it is the second most expensive sport at SDSU.

UND fund Title IX at 50/50, has more diverse sports offerings (recently started women hockey program), rebuild GF after flood (but it is nice sized local market), decreased enrollment for several years after flood.

NDSU fund Title IX 60/40, largest local market - lots of t-shirts/jersey and shorts sports.

NOTE: I didn't mention facilities.. USD/SDSU has had to foot the bill for all facilities. NDSU had an under utilized Fargo Dome available for them and UND had a very nice football facility built by the city.

Depends on how fare back you want to go UNI has been solid at FCS/I-AA since they left and UNC left before the Dakota schools. UNC got hurt by the loss of a major donor. But, they are starting to get established at D-1 now. Chapman had the easiest call on D-1 of all the Dakota schools. NDSU does not fund womens sports at the same level of the other Dakota schools. SDSU has to fund title IX at 50/50. NDSU funds Title IX at 60/40. Which is kind of sad because NDSU has the largest female enrollment of all Dakota schools.

IMO - Toughest call going D-1

USD had the toughest call going D-1.. F/M ratio of 60/40 (in general ladies are not into sports), fund Title IX at 50/50, plus a much smaller enrollment and small local market.

SDSU must fund Title IX at 50/50 which matches enrollment ratio of 49/52, small local market. NOTE: SDSU added equestrian to go D-1 - it is the second most expensive sport at SDSU.

UND fund Title IX at 50/50, has more diverse sports offerings (recently started women hockey program), rebuild GF after flood (but it is nice sized local market), decreased enrollment for several years after flood.

NDSU fund Title IX 60/40, largest local market - lots of t-shirts/jersey and shorts sports.

UNC and UNI in their markets are no different than Black Hills State in South Dakota and Minot State in North Dakota. If the four Dakota universities want to measure themselves, set goals, and aspire to improving their programs using the aforementioned secondary schools from any State they are not going to get the job done properly. If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch. As I stated in an earlier post if UND had hired Chapman and NDSU had ended up with Kupchella, IMO the roles in this whole D-1 thing would have been reversed.

I am not familiar with your Title IX funding comparisons and ratios. I would like to know more about how you arrived at your comments.

UNC and UNI in their markets are no different than Black Hills State in South Dakota and Minot State in North Dakota. If the four Dakota universities want to measure themselves, set goals, and aspire to improving their programs using the aforementioned secondary schools from any State they are not going to get the job done properly. If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch. As I stated in an earlier post if UND had hired Chapman and NDSU had ended up with Kupchella, IMO the roles in this whole D-1 thing would have been reversed.

I am not familiar with your Title IX funding comparisons and ratios. I would like to know more about how you arrived at your comments.

I pulled my data from this site: http://ope.ed.gov/at.../athletics/ By looking at the data you can see the differences in meeting Title IX in particular my numbers are based on enrollment and student aid.

And they suck in football now.

Similar to what would be the case if Minot State or Dickinson State attempted to do what Northern Colorado has done. Fine schools but they are not peers of UND or NDSU in North Dakota or CU or CSU in Colorado.

Minnesota-Duluth, Minnesota State University-Mankato, University of Northern Colorado, University Nebraska-Omaha, St. Cloud State University, and the like will only be millstones around the neck of any D-1 institutions that have conference affiliations with them. They are the weeds. USD. NDSU, SDSU, UND is the grass. Now I realize that with many of those there is an exception when it comes to hockey, but I have always felt UND's hockey deserved to be of University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin caliber not the former. Does that answer your what darell1976?

IMO, Mankato could be equally as successful at the DI level as UND or Omaha, but they would need to cull sports (ala Omaha) to be successful. Mankato's major sports would need to be . . .

Hockey, Basketball, Baseball . . . like Omaha

(or) Football, Basketball, Baseball . . . like NDSU

They would not survive: Hockey, Football, Basketball, Baseball . . . except at the DII level, too many $

IMO, Mankato could be equally as successful at the DI level as UND or Omaha, but they would need to cull sports (ala Omaha) to be successful. Mankato's major sports would need to be . . .

Hockey, Basketball, Baseball . . . like Omaha

(or) Football, Basketball, Baseball . . . like NDSU

They would not survive: Hockey, Football, Basketball, Baseball . . . except at the DII level, too many $

You are probably right on here.

Doesn't U of M have a monopoly on D1 in Minnesota? For some reason I remember chatter about schools in MN other than the U not being able to move up to full D1. I could be wrong here though...

You are probably right on here.

Doesn't U of M have a monopoly on D1 in Minnesota? For some reason I remember chatter about schools in MN other than the U not being able to move up to full D1. I could be wrong here though...

There may be no written rule as to who will be D-1 in all SPORTS in Minnesota, but from a practical point of view gopherville is not going to give up their spot as lead dog. Look at Nebraska, Wyoming, and Wisconsin as States where it's not going to happen either.

There may be no written rule as to who will be D-1 in all SPORTS in Minnesota, but from a practical point of view gopherville is not going to give up their spot as lead dog. Look at Nebraska, Wyoming, and Wisconsin as States where it's not going to happen either.

UNO, Creighton? Unless they don't count because no football.

UNO, Creighton? Unless they don't count because no football.

IMO, UNO without Football in the mix, the atmosphere of college athletics is just not the same. As for Creighton they are a private school and can do what they please.

The NCC should have become a D-IAA conference years ago. Imagine the rivalry with the BSC they could have created!

What a waste...

The core of 6 solid teams in the ncc; sdsu, usd, ndsu, und, Omaha, and Northern Colorado were pretty kick ass in their D2 days. Seems like which ever team won the conference made it to the Championship That core of teams stuck together for decades. The Dakota schools for a century. Its only a few schools away from gaining NCC type stability in the Summit. But the mvfc is different obviously with Omaha not playing football and UNC and UND in the BSC. It would be like a D1 version of the ncc minus the !@#!$ schools (and some new schools) and a ton of kick ass rivalries that fill the stands