SiouxSports.com Forum

Fixing the NCAA Hockey Championship Format

Siouxperfan7

This year's playoffs has been great so far. (Especially if you are a UND, Minnesota, Union, or Boston College fan). NCAA hockey playoffs are great every year it seems. Seems lately that every team has a shot to win 4 games and win it all. I love college hockey, especially the playoffs, but I think that it could be even better if they just tweeked a few things. These are certainly not new ideas, but I think that making these minor changes will increase the popularity of the sport and make the playoffs experience better for everyone involved.

1. Regional sites should be hosted by the #1 Seeds.

There is nothing like a bunch of kids making the NCAA youtnament as a team for the first time, being told by their coach that this is the biggest game of their careers, and then skating out to 1500 fans in an empty arena. Obviously some sites get lucky when you have local teams in it (MN v St. Cloud at the X this year for example). But, there are just as many times where there are Regionals that are half full at best. It is odd that an organization that is all about making money (NC$$) that they wouldn't look at a way to increase attendance at these regionals to make more money!! This is certainly one of the hot topics in college hockey these days. Sure there are positives and negatives to both. One negative is it is much harder for a 4 seed to beat a 1 seed in their home rink. They have a much better shot on a nuetral site. I say, what is worng with that? These #1 seeds have earned that seed by playing consistantly good all season long. Shouldn't they be rewarded for that for giving them the best chance to get to the Frozen Four? Not only will it reward the #1 seeds, but attendace will be drastically better. Shoot, Hak even said he would much rather play at a teams home rink that is packed than a half empty arena thousands of miles from either school. I hope to see this change in the next few years. Given the fact they have only rewarded regionals for the next 2 years and not any further thinks that this may become arealty.

2. Frozen Four needs to be same weekend as the Final Four.

After a crazy end to a regular season with conference titles on the line followed by conference championships with playoff spots on the line followed by the first weeked of the NCAA playoffs after that, seems odd to bring all that momentum and excitement to a schreeching halt for 11 days. I realize that they don't want to compete with the Final Four. But in a way, that can help them. I think having the Frozen Four on Friday and Sunday of the Fianl Four would keep fans engaged in the playoffs without that long layover. The NCAA Frozen Four would be advertised and talked about at the Final Four as well. Not sure if they will do this because money controls all and trying to compete with the Fianl Four the same weekend could be tough. But having it on seperate days might work.

I am sure there are other suggestions to make the NCAA tournament better. But those are the big two in my opinion.

This year's playoffs has been great so far. (Especially if you are a UND, Minnesota, Union, or Boston College fan). NCAA hockey playoffs are great every year it seems. Seems lately that every team has a shot to win 4 games and win it all. I love college hockey, especially the playoffs, but I think that it could be even better if they just tweeked a few things. These are certainly not new ideas, but I think that making these minor changes will increase the popularity of the sport and make the playoffs experience better for everyone involved.

1. Regional sites should be hosted by the #1 Seeds.

There is nothing like a bunch of kids making the NCAA youtnament as a team for the first time, being told by their coach that this is the biggest game of their careers, and then skating out to 1500 fans in an empty arena. Obviously some sites get lucky when you have local teams in it (MN v St. Cloud at the X this year for example). But, there are just as many times where there are Regionals that are half full at best. It is odd that an organization that is all about making money (NC$$) that they wouldn't look at a way to increase attendance at these regionals to make more money!! This is certainly one of the hot topics in college hockey these days. Sure there are positives and negatives to both. One negative is it is much harder for a 4 seed to beat a 1 seed in their home rink. They have a much better shot on a nuetral site. I say, what is worng with that? These #1 seeds have earned that seed by playing consistantly good all season long. Shouldn't they be rewarded for that for giving them the best chance to get to the Frozen Four? Not only will it reward the #1 seeds, but attendace will be drastically better. Shoot, Hak even said he would much rather play at a teams home rink that is packed than a half empty arena thousands of miles from either school. I hope to see this change in the next few years. Given the fact they have only rewarded regionals for the next 2 years and not any further thinks that this may become arealty.

2. Frozen Four needs to be same weekend as the Final Four.

After a crazy end to a regular season with conference titles on the line followed by conference championships with playoff spots on the line followed by the first weeked of the NCAA playoffs after that, seems odd to bring all that momentum and excitement to a schreeching halt for 11 days. I realize that they don't want to compete with the Final Four. But in a way, that can help them. I think having the Frozen Four on Friday and Sunday of the Fianl Four would keep fans engaged in the playoffs without that long layover. The NCAA Frozen Four would be advertised and talked about at the Final Four as well. Not sure if they will do this because money controls all and trying to compete with the Fianl Four the same weekend could be tough. But having it on seperate days might work.

I am sure there are other suggestions to make the NCAA tournament better. But those are the big two in my opinion.

ncaa says the logistics are just too tight for fans and teams to play on same weekend as final four . Id like to see campus sites for regions also but preselected not at the #1 seed as i think thats too much of an advantage

ncaa says the logistics are just too tight for fans and teams to play on same weekend as final four . Id like to see campus sites for regions also but preselected not at the #1 seed as i think thats too much of an advantage

So you'd rather have a chance at a #2, #3, or #4 seed hosting the regional? For example, next year Notre Dame could be a #4 seed and be playing the team that earned the 1 seed at their home rink...that seem fair?

So you'd rather have a chance at a #2, #3, or #4 seed hosting the regional? For example, next year Notre Dame could be a #4 seed and be playing the team that earned the 1 seed at their home rink...that seem fair?

Hastol has been on record as saying he would rather play in an opponents rink that is filled versus the type of atmosphere that was like in Grand Rapids last year.

Had North Dakota played Michigan State or Ohio State in '98 at Yost instead of Michigan, I have zero doubt that UND would have steamrolled Michigan a week later in the Frozen Four. The "reward" for being a top seed should not be a regional trip to the lion's den.

It happened for us in 2006 :), #3 seed not 4, I guess .... What I think they are getting at is, there needs to be a way to increase attendance, but to keep a little bit of bracket integrity.

He was speaking to the idea of having the #1 team host the regional, not earning a #1 seed and having to go play an away game.

there is a rule or unwritten rule somewhere that when all possible they will try to keep a #1 seed from playing on an hosts school's ice, especially if they are the #1 or #2 overall seed. in 2008 UND had to go to the Kohl Center and the reason they had to was because Michigan would have but they were the #1 overall seed that year and they were protecting them so instead Michigan went to Albany. That was the first year the committee started to do that.

He was speaking to the idea of having the #1 team host the regional, not earning a #1 seed and having to go play an away game.

i dont like the one a d done format, all higher levels of hockey except the ncaa plays series. 2 out of 3 would be ok even, this format is assinine from a true hockey standpoint

there is a rule or unwritten rule somewhere that when all possible they will try to keep a #1 seed from playing on an hosts school's ice, especially if they are the #1 or #2 overall seed. in 2008 UND had to go to the Kohl Center and the reason they had to was because Michigan would have but they were the #1 overall seed that year and they were protecting them so instead Michigan went to Albany. That was the first year the committee started to do that.

I guess my point is if we are going to move back to campus sites(which I'm highly in favor of), let's just do it the correct way and allow the #1 seeds to host. That way we pack the buildings and avoid any #1 seed(regardless if it's overall 1 through 4), having to play an away game. They earned the right to have a home ice advantage throughout the season and with parity in college hockey these days having it at your home rink provides no guarantees of making the Frozen Four. And in cases of the #1 seed not being able to hold their rink for the dates, let them choose an alternative or 2. For example, if UND couldn't use the Ralph(highly unlikely), we could go to Scheel's Arena in Fargo or even the Xcel if we wanted to. Hey, maybe we could even throw ice in the Alerus! :lol:

The logistics of not having sites selected for the regionals until the bracket is announces would be very problematic. I like the 2 out of 3 idea, but it would be strange to have that format in the first two rounds and jump to one and done in the more important games.

The logistics of not having sites selected for the regionals until the bracket is announces would be very problematic. I like the 2 out of 3 idea, but it would be strange to have that format in the first two rounds and jump to one and done in the more important games.

things would have to be tweeked a little but play 2 out of 3 all way through with higher seed getting home ice. League tourney format could remain same

First two rounds best two out of three. Higher seed gets home ice.

That would take two weekends...the second during the BB Final Four.

Then, the following weekend, The Frozen Four.

Problem solved.

This puts asses in seats and rewards regular season success. Totally on board.

• Upvote 1

It happens for conference tournaments all the time! This year in the NCHC the seedings for home ice for a few of the series wasn't decided till the last weekend. They figured that out. Not sure why it wouldn't work again. I think these venues can keep that first weekend open in the case that they get to host an NCAA regional.

Keep the 1 and done scenerio. That's what makes the playoffs exciting.

It was done this way with an 8-team format for a number of years.

• Upvote 1

going back to on campus sites is almost virtually going to happen at some point here. we saw it with Notre Dame next year and I won't be surprised when the next round of sites it released that there aren't on-campus sites. out west here you will see The Ralph, Marriucci, Amsoil Arena, The Kohl Center and The World Arena all start to get regionals again.

going back to on campus sites is almost virtually going to happen at some point here. we saw it with Notre Dame next year and I won't be surprised when the next round of sites it released that there aren't on-campus sites. out west here you will see The Ralph, Marriucci, Amsoil Arena, The Kohl Center and The World Arena all start to get regionals again.

dont see them letting the ralph host, wouldnt for the women

dont see them letting the ralph host, wouldnt for the women

there reasoning for not letting UND host a frozen four for the women was that the Ralph is too big. and it makes sense if you think about it. we all bitch and moan about the men playing in empty arenas for the regionals and it would be the same thing for the women at the Ralph. you get what 1500-2000 tops for that and have 10000 empty seats, not a good atmosphere. the Ralph will host again, I would bet my house on it.

I actually like the one and done format. Yes, sometimes the overall better team doesn't advance. But all the higher levels of hockey that play best of series also have a significantly larger roster. Some of these college players can already barely walk by this point in the season; no need to add more games to it. Plus, I think it makes it more exciting. Not to mention I think crowds would suffer if you extend it that long...most people don't have that much vacation time and money.

The neutral site regionals have got to go. Or at least pick better locations. Empty arenas favor small schools because that's what they're used to. So how can the NCAA say a home site is an unfair advantage when the current format gives an advantage? Plus, when a team plays at a location several times per year (see: Gophers and Xcel arena), it's not really that neutral.

there reasoning for not letting UND host a frozen four for the women was that the Ralph is too big. and it makes sense if you think about it. we all bitch and moan about the men playing in empty arenas for the regionals and it would be the same thing for the women at the Ralph. you get what 1500-2000 tops for that and have 10000 empty seats, not a good atmosphere. the Ralph will host again, I would bet my house on it.

i hope so. I hope the ncaa doesnt play politics it would be a shame

How about this....

Since we all don't like the week off between the regionals and Frozen Four, eliminate that week, but take a week off between the conference tourneys and the regionals. This will give the arenas an extra week to sell out, eliminate the week off between regionals and F4 AND keep college hockey's grandest showcase on a different weekend that college basketball's! BOOM!

• Upvote 1

How about this....

Since we all don't like the week off between the regionals and Frozen Four, eliminate that week, but take a week off between the conference tourneys and the regionals. This will give the arenas an extra week to sell out, eliminate the week off between regionals and F4 AND keep college hockey's grandest showcase on a different weekend that college basketball's! BOOM!

I like that idea best. Going from conference playoff weekends to conference tourneys to regionals to Frozen Four without an extra off week in there somewhere would be brutal. Given most people not liking the two weeks off between regionals and F4 (I personally don't mind it much), this is the next best option.