SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

UND Fan

Was the Nudell girl someone that UND was interested in? Were we going after her at all? I would think that we have no chance on the Jacobson girl since her Mom played for NDSU.

Normally you'd probably be correct with regard to Jacobson, but given where the NDSU women's basketball program has been the past several years, I would never concede a recruit to them if I was Brewster.

Jacobson has unofficially visited already this year

One other factor that might play into UND's favor. UND Asst. Coach Adam Jacobson's dad Tim is Sarah's coach at Shanley...Pretty sure that is Adams dad anyways. I don't think they are related to Sarah, but that has to help UND a little maybe. Still an uphill battle with the NDSU connections i would think, but a UND connection at least. 

Shout out to Oxbow in the Jones thread for making me remember that.

Without looking back in the thread, is this Sarah Jacobson Pat Smykowski's kid? If so, doubtful she will come to UND.

You are correct. Her brother is also AJ Jacobson who plays for the Bison men. I have to think our chances aren't good, but the fact she unofficially visited means there is at least some interest. She might not even play for the Bison either as I saw some rankings where she was ranked top 5 in the 5 state area (ND, SD, MN, IA, NE) for girls in her class. If she is that highly thought of she'll probably have some Big Ten interest similar to what Hannah Stewart had. 

A couple videos of interest. First is a feature on Lexi Klabo. I think UND is glad she was kind of under the radar nationally and they signed her so early. She is dominating Class A ball and is going to be a very good player for UND. 

Second one is a feature on Hannah Stewart. Talks a little bit about how she was going to come to UND until she played AAU last summer and blew up. Great for her, but man if she would've not played AAU and signed with UND that would've been something with her and Klabo in the middle and Frejie on the wing for 4 years.

Once the UND strength and conditioning gets a hold of Klabo the sky is the limit for her.  I do see her as eventually more of a forward than pure center, creating matchup nightmares for opponents.

Also, landing Jacobson from Shanley would of course be nice, but is extremely doubtful given that UND just grabbed a very promising point guard from the gophers.    So Jacobson would most likely find herself competing for playing time all 4 years here.  My bet is that she picks a program that needs her more than we do.

Freije went for 47 and 16 tonight in the region final...........wow! That was against  2 college level players (hagler & kilvang). Kilvang  had 16 and 10 and I do think she plays D1 basketball or volleyball as well. At 6'4 the potential is off the charts for her.

I'm guessing you've seen Freije play before. Is her game at all similar to Madi Buck's?

Similar games in that they are both around 6 ft and can do a little bit of everything. I do think Frejie is maybe a little better coming out of high school (did have 5 plus D1 offers I think) but she has a lot of work to do to get to Madi Bucks level. By the time Madi was a Sr. She was playing at an extremely high level. Her Sr year was one of the best i've seen by a player in a long time. She's probably a top 5-10 player in UND history. I would say Frejie has good potential but she'll have to develop a lot in college to get to where Madi was by the time she graduates.

Women's basketball can offer 15 scholarships. There are currently three seniors. UND signed six players in the fall, and I have to assume Grace Coughlin will be on scholarship, as well. So I'm not sure whether that means not all underclassmen on scholarship right now will be returning next year, not all of the 15 scholarships were actually used this year, or not all of the signees are going to be on scholarship? Keep in mind that unlike in division II, there is no splitting of scholarships.

• 2 weeks later...

I would add Shanley's Lauren Rotunda to the list of prospects for '16.  She is a very versatile 6' forward who does a little bit of everything.  She also seems to come up big in crucial games/moments when her team needs a lift. (Just ask Hannah Stewart).  She was all over the court at the State A this weekend.

• 1 month later...

With 15 underclassladies on this year's roster and seven newcomers arriving this fall, it appears many current players will not be playing for us next fall.  It will be interesting who remains.

Several early departures seem inevitable. With 15 scholarships, the lack of quality depth this year was a bit alarming. I wouldn't be surprised if there only end up being about four total juniors/seniors-to-be returning on scholarship.