SiouxSports.com Forum

FROZEN FACEOFF - Sioux vs Miami Friday

AZSIOUX

I get MN....although they have a soft schedule, relatively speaking, they do only have 4-5 losses all year. They deserve #1 in my opinion. Mich and Mank state confuse me.

Where do you get the soft schedule part? Minnesota played 17 games against teams that are still in the running for the National tournament, while UND has played 6 games against teams still in the running, 10 if you want to count Western Michigan. When I say still in the running, I mean pairwise wise.

Get ready for some Friday night #MACtion, Miami hitting their stride with McKay and Coleman back on top of their game...

http://www.collegeho...nd_thoughts.php

http://www.muredhawk...=50608&start=-1

Bowling Green, Miami, Western Michigan all playing well (but not UMass). Rumors of Buffalo starting hockey surface often, I hope they do. MAC Hockey Blog:

http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-hockey

and your point??? they split with ND and Duluth, they only played SCSU 1 once and Miami just rolled them, I have already stated that in a prvious post that their BC sweep in the only legit contest in their squishy schedule. so your claiming that because they swept Mankato they should be ranked 1 in the country??? if that's what you believe I will give you that, good job you swept Mankato, just say that out loud to yourself a few times and get back to me on that one

The question was about Minnesota's strength of schedule. Playing 17 games against teams still in the pairwise hunt says a lot. Who do you think has a tough schedule, and I could pick apart their wins and losses as well. Who else could they have played that you would consider legit? Hey, I hate Minnesota as much as the next guy, but if we had their schedule we would be defending it loudly.

Get ready for some Friday night #MACtion, Miami hitting their stride with McKay and Coleman back on top of their game...

Bowling Green, Miami, Western Michigan all playing well (but not UMass). Rumors of Buffalo starting hockey surface often, I hope they do. MAC Hockey Blog:

Serious question that's not really on topic..... what the heck is UMass doing in the MAC? There's nothing Mid-American about Massachusetts.

Serious question that's not really on topic..... what the heck is UMass doing in the MAC? There's nothing Mid-American about Massachusetts.

They are football only in the MAC at this time but they may join for all sports. MAC is moving east just like the Big Ten. Buffalo was promised some eastern partners just like Penn State was when they joined the Big Ten.

Rumors of University of Delaware and James Madison also joining the MAC. MAC is renegotiating the TV deal with ESPN right now and our regional TV deal is changing too where Comcast is buying TWC Sports Channel so NBCSN may be involved with wanting some basketball games or something too. Consequently, NBCSN and CSN have the A10 and CAA TV packages and Delaware, James Madison, and UMass are very important pieces in that.

We'll see, but most would be happy to get those schools in the MAC all sports and expand to mid-atlantic and northeast seaboard for TV purposes.

I have already stated that in a prvious post that their BC sweep in the only legit contest in their squishy schedule.

It's the end of the season, strength of schedule isn't an opinion at this point its fact. According to the computers the Gophers have played the toughest schedule in the nation. Not sure why you continue to perpetuate this myth that it's "squishy."

I'll just leave this here :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAOvCCYpyrQ

• Upvote 1

and your point??? they split with ND and Duluth, they only played SCSU 1 once and Miami just rolled them, I have already stated that in a prvious post that their BC sweep in the only legit contest in their squishy schedule.

BC swept by Minnesota? Further evidence how shoot-outs perpetuate the myth of victory if you win it and tie if you lose it.

• Upvote 1

BC swept by Minnesota? Further reason why shoot-outs perpetuate the myth of victory if you win it and tie if you lose it.

I was going to correct him on that as well. Tied Friday and won Saturday. I was at the Friday game and can't remember who won the shootout. Your post indicates the Gophers did so I'll go with that. :)

I was going to correct him on that as well. Tied Friday and won Saturday. I was at the Friday game and can't remember who won the shootout. Your post indicates the Gophers did so I'll go with that. :)

I don't think they did a shootout.

Edit: Guess I was wrong about the shootout, BC won the shootout.

Nobody of significance but 27-9-3 is a heckofa record.

We have 3 more losses and we are playing much better teams. The best team they played is Mankato and Mankota lost to both Duluth and SCSU. Look at Ferris' losses, Colgate twice (their best losses), St. Lawrence, swept by Mankato, lost to MTU, Bemidji, swept by Alaska. They really have 0 good wins. Go look at their schedule....it's hilarious.

I see that now, either way this started with the strength of the BIG 6, and MN playing the likes of Penn State and Ohio State and even Michigan State on occasion, IMO the NCHC is hands down a tougher conference then the Big 6, is MN the best team in the country, apparently on paper, which looking at their schedule just seems to be inflated with too much credit being given to many of their opponents. We'll see how this tournament thing plays out

I see that now, either way this started with the strength of the BIG 6, and MN playing the likes of Penn State and Ohio State and even Michigan State on occasion, IMO the NCHC is hands down a tougher conference then the Big 6, is MN the best team in the country, apparently on paper, which looking at their schedule just seems to be inflated with too much credit being given to many of their opponents. We'll see how this tournament thing plays out

I have no doubt that MN and BC are the two best teams in the country....my problem is all the ECAC and other small schools ahead of us.

Not this year, not even close really.

A lot of the disputes on these related topics (strength of schedule, UND's pairwise predicament) are due to the NCHC's poor performance in non-conference play and qualitative opinions on whether those results reflect the real strength of the conference's teams. There's really no arguing the math, which is based on the results of all the games played.

At this point, the only way to support an argument in favor of the NCHC's quality beyond its results would be for its one to three NCAA tournament participants to do well there.

In any typical season in the last 15 years or so, the NCHC's teams would have done well enough that the top two or three would be NCAA locks, with others having a shot at qualifying. Whether this season is an abberation or a sign of things to come will need to wait for future results.

The "eye test" tells me CC last weekend was about as good as the CC team that went on a run through the WCHA tournament last year, beating UND and MN (foreshadowing Yale) before falling to Wisconsin. Their record was abysmal, though, so bad that UND winning two of three drove its PWR down to the extinction zone. I suspect we will see a similarly impressive Miami team Friday.

C'mon...Penn State is awful so you're down to five. Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State are mediocre at best. Now you're down to Wisconsin and Minnesota

Yeah, beginning of the year I believed Michigan was decent but when you lose 4-0 to Penn State then get beat by them in your own building, your credibility goes out the window. At best they're very inconsistent.

C'mon...Penn State is awful so you're down to five. Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State are mediocre at best. Now you're down to Wisconsin and Minnesota

How is Michigan mediocre? They're ahead of UND in the pairwise and they're our third best team while UND was one win away from winning the conference. There are two teams in the Big Ten, UW and Minnesota, who are a big step above any team in the NCHC and that's why it's better.

I gotta agree with MafiaMan on this.

Western Michigan swept Michigan State in a 2-game series

Western Michigan beat Michigan

Miami swept Ohio State in a 2-game series

Miami split with Wisconsin

WMU and Miami went 6-1 vs the Big Ten out of conference.

Yeah, beginning of the year I believed Michigan was decent but when you lose 4-0 to Penn State then get beat by them in your own building, your credibility goes out the window. At best they're very inconsistent.

But UND lost at home to CC who is a whole one spot ahead of Penn State in the PWR. Does UND's credibility go out the window?

Not this year, not even close really.

MN 14 wins, WI 13 wins

SCSU 15 wins , UND 15 wins

bottom feeders Penn ST 3 wins Michigan ST 5 wins

Miami 6 wins CC 6 wins

it's not even really apples to apples with the Big 6 to NCHC more like Apples to rotten peaches