SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX-gopher Saturday Game

Fedorov

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to say it, but it was a legal goal and ZP touched it well above four feet. You know how I know because you can count on FOX to show it seven ways to Sunday when it goes in the Goofers favor. Anytime that there is a questionable call for the Minnesota you got to see the replay at least 3 times. Where was the replay on the Schneider penelty (just one to name several).

Make know doubt about it the Sioux stopped playing after the first period and the Goofs earned a win, but if I were them I wouldn't be feeling great about a one goal margin win at home in a game that they had to win with one of our men in the box for most of the game. Sure they held us to only to the fewest shots all year, we were short handed most of the time.

There ya have it, looks like a decent call to me. Fact is, if the Sioux had played the entire game with that kind of enthusiasm and drive, they wouldn't have needed that goal to tie the game at the end. They had a 14 game unbeaten streak, those things eventually come to an end. Better now than in March or April.

Totally agree. Blais even sounded somewhat happy with the effort. It'll be nice to get back home for two next week. Gophs played well. Anytime you can hold the Sioux to under 15 shots, you deserve to win.

There ya have it, looks like a decent call to me. Fact is, if the Sioux had played the entire game with that kind of enthusiasm and drive, they wouldn't have needed that goal to tie the game at the end. They had a 14 game unbeaten streak, those things eventually come to an end. Better now than in March or April.

You are no doubt right, but it it's disappointing that it came:

a) by officials trying to call a split (blatantly, I might add IMHO)

b) at the hands of the despicable yellow vermin.

I thought the Gophs outplayed the Sioux a majority of the periods this weekend. UM really impressed me tonight. Excellent positioning, disrupting UND's passing, keeping the puck in the zone, clearing rebounds-- just great fundamental hockey. This team is tough (it makes me ill to admit that!).

I thought the Sioux got away with a few tonight, and Prpich should have been tossed for his hit. The last shot in the net was not a goal. Puck played with a high stick and Gophs never did control it. So, good call, no goal. Darn.

It's good to get 2 points out of Mariucci, but I would have liked to have seen better play from the boys tonight. Oh well. Gophs are good again. I just have to learn to accept that. :silly:

taz

Sorry I just got back from The John.

I stayed to watch the #@&*% Overtime. Ended in a 2-2 tie.

The only other comment I have right now is that whoever counts shots at The John does it with brown and yellow colored glasses. No way were shots really 28-14 or whatever they counted. Yes the brown rodents had more, but not that many.

We had a lot of chances EARLY (Zach, Porter, Hale, etc etc) and didn't convert. Lot of shots missing the net "just barely".

Then in the second, we didn't match their intensity ... plus D Sh!&herd decided to make sure the home team got their powerplays.

I still like our chances. But I'm grouchy tonight.

Gotta go take a shower and rinse off the scum. More later.

It all boils down to UND took 3/4 games from the Goofer this season. Sure we lost for the third time this season. Coach will probably have his teams full attention this week in practice and we should look forward to a sweep at home. Can't win them all, but I sick and tired of pi$$ poor officiating...

Boy there sure is a lot of complaining after a good weekend of hockey. Am I the only one that though Shepherd did alright this weekend?

After the first period, I thought for sure the Sioux were going to go home with a sweep. Would have been a good feeling. But the Gophers came back out during the second period and reminded us who we were playing. For the first time all season, I actually thought it looked like our players were getting a little gassed toward the end of the series. There was a good chunk of time where Gopher players were winning every race to the puck and causing turnovers in the 3rd. This would be a very interesting matchup indeed in the postseason.

Some positives I can take out of the weekend: most of us knew that a split was the most likely result, so there really isn't a whole lot of disappointment. Our goaltenders, while I didn't always think they had great positioning, are finding ways to make the saves. JPar and Brandt both played well this weekend, but I still am more comfortable with Brandt in net. The Gophers were only 1-12 (?) on the powerplay, and that one PP goal was a 5-3. Like Woog said at one point, Blais is able to just roll through the lineup and send the next two guys out on the ice for the PK, and it's looking good. I think our own powerplay is finally starting to look up as well.

It was fun watching the Sioux play a team who can skate with them. I say good games to both teams.

It seemed like the Gophers generated a lot of offense by going wide and deep into the corners with the puck. I wonder if they will be able to generate the offense at the X. I'm also starting to think that the best chance to knock off the Sioux in the tourney will be in the Colorado Springs regional. I just don't see players getting through the Sioux defense on NHL ice.

Sounds like Grant may be out for the season. I don't like to hear that. The Potulny brothers had no luck against the Sioux this year. Kind of reminds me of the Eaves brothers and their bad luck last season and now this season (the broken knee). :silly:

What happened to Grant? I didn't see any injury

What happened to Grant? I didn't see any injury

TH reported early in the 3rd that Potulny had a "3rd degree shoulder separation." Not sure what "3rd degree" indicates, but it doesn't sound good. It happened sometime late in the 2nd period.

My buddy went to the game, called Ryan Potulny while he was at the hospital and Ryan told him it was a 3rd degree seperation, this was sometime between 9:30-9:45. Not a good situation for this year and potentially his future. Grant, although being a Gopher, is someone I've known forever and is a great guy, has always worked his tail off through a history of injuries that goes back to major back surgery when he was 11 or 12, and is the ultimate winner and competitor on the field, ice, and diamond. He should be in everyone's prayers, hopefully he will play again and at the same level.

Quick whistle friday canceled a would-be big first goal. Game probably should have been a 3-3 regulation tie, though I think if there was an OT winner - UND had the advantage.

Saturday the would-be late goal was waived appropriately, there was definately no control by a Gopher player after the Parise deflection.

All in all, I think the wins went to the teams who deserved them more each night. No doubt in my mind that this series was the best hockey played this year.

WCHA playoffs will be interesting, but I'm more interested in seeing how the NCAA's stack up...lotta WCHA teams should be there. I just hope that Minnesota & UND stack up opposite so that they can play in the Frozen Four, preferably in the title game. There wouldn't be anything much sweeter then watching the Gophers hoist their 3rd straight trophy in front of some sobbing sioux...

-sioux suck