SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX-gopher Saturday Game

Fedorov

Parise played the puck way above the crossbar........ when the puck is played with a high stick, the other team has to play it before your team can touch the puck.

My only question would have been whether the puck bouncing off the gopher guy would classify as being played. If it does classify as being played, that nulifies the high stick and the goal was good.

But since this is a regular season game, it doesn't matter cause there is no instant replay. :D

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF SHEPARD'S CRAP! SOMEBODY IN THE WCHA NEEDS TO REALIZE THAT HE IS ONE OF THE WORST REFS EVER! HE CALLS SO MUCH STUFF AGAINST THE SIOUX IT'S JUST GETS A LITTLE RIDICULOUS! I HATE SHEPARD!

Good game you stupid little Goophers

My feelings on the game aren't quite as enthusiastic, although it is nice to see Sioux fans with passion.

I thought the Gophers deserved the win tonight. Holding the Sioux to 13 shots is not easy. Good calls or bad calls, the Gophers played a tough game tonight. This is a program much like UND's that has pride and tradition, and they are not gonna roll over and let someone, especially a rival, sweep them on their ice. They are a good team with a lot of talent, and we may very well meet them again down the road. It would have been good to sweep them on their ice, but I would rather lose to them now, then try for a fifth win a row sometime in the playoffs.

One of the things I am taking from this weekend as a Sioux fan, is the fact that we have some goaltending this year. Brandt was solid last night, and Parise played well tonight. He scares me a bit in net because he seems out of position sometimes and seems to sprawl around too much sometimes, but overall he played a good game tonight and gave the Sioux the opportunity to win. Nice to have a good 1-2 combo in net.

Great series for a hockey fan. Both teams showed why they are a couple of the top teams in the country. Congrats to the Gophs on the win tonight. Congrats to the Sioux on a solid road weekend. :D

The %^@&^%& vermin are without redeeming value whatever. There's not a one of them that wouldn't benefit from an once-a-day complete thrashing. And I want the name of ass-clown u assistant ad that kicked our players out of the press box so I can send him an e-mail to let him know exactly what I think of his lame useless ass.

The rules then have definitely changed, since I thought a high stick was an immediate whistle no matter who touches the puck next.

As long as i can remember as soon as a player plays the puck with a high stick the play is blown dead if that team is the first to touch the puck. Once the other team touches the puck, the high stick should be waved off and play continues as usual.

Once again awful call - goal should have counted. As much as I want to blame Shepard for the loss, we just didn't play up to our usual standard. J Par kept us in it till the last, but 13 or so total shots on goal with the fire-power we have? I just have a very hard time believing the rodents have that good a D.

I just didn't see the intensity coming from our guys, but that's watching it on TV and on a "homer" station as well. Maybe somebody who was at the game would have a better idea if UND had more intensity than I saw on TV.

Not sure I'ld want to be Denver next week - the guys are going to be out for blood (goals.)

All I can say is congrats to Lucia compliments of Sheperd.

Sheperd wanted a split badly so that he could give Minnesota's coach his 400th at home.

Gophers played a good game all officiating aside. Murray scored the game tying goal since it bounced off a Gopher, but can't have that. A lot of make up calls.

Prpich is the player that stuck out at me as being the worst Sioux player on the ice tonight. Although, his elbowing penalty was dangerous, I was pleased that Taylor took the hit. Can't feel too sorry for that cheap chump.

Parise had a great game as did Murray and Lundbohm. Stafford looked strong on the ice. Greene had a pretty good series.

So what happens now? Will we move down the polls?

According to the rules, the goofer player would have had to control the puck, which he did not. There could be a different interpretation though. However, Shepherd didn't call the play be the rules all weekend. Obviously the clutching and grabbing is still allowed in this league, as well as the goofers trying to start fights. It really is the Worst College Hockey Association with the current officials. :silly:

No doubt the other team played well enought to win, but when you have several trips and blatant interferences by the opposition go without a call and then a VERY marginal call goes against Andy, something is very rotten in Denmark. Then the call on the equalizer. Gee, guess someone in the league office wants to make sure a certain team makes it to the Final Five.

As long as i can remember as soon as a player plays the puck with a high stick the play is blown dead if that team is the first to touch the puck. Once the other team touches the puck, the high stick should be waved off and play continues as usual.

Sprig is right on.

USA Hockey Rules

http://www.usahockey.com/FileServlet/relat...%20Rulebook.pdf

(d) Batting the puck above the normal height of the

shoulders with the stick is prohibited and when it

occurs there shall be a whistle and the ensuing

face-off shall take place at one of the end face-off

spots adjacent to the goal of the team causing the

stoppage unless:

(1) the puck is batted to an opponent and the opponent

gains possession and control of the puck in

which case the play shall continue, or

(2) a player of the defending team shall bat the

puck into his own goal in which case the goal

shall be allowed.

(Note) When a player bats the puck to an opponent

under subsection 1, the Referee shall give the

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2004/200...ockey_rules.pdf

c. When the puck is above the height of four feet [1.22m] it shall not

be batted with the stick, and when it occurs there shall be a whistle

unless:

(1) The puck is batted to an opponent, in which case the play shall continue.

When a player bats the puck to an opponent, an on-ice official

shall give the washout signal immediately.

Didn't realize College hockey switched to 4ft, it used to be the crossbar. I still think ZP made contact when his stick was below the X-bar. Not sure about 4 ft though. If the puck went off a Gopher the question is: Is batted to an opponent mean they get possession? I would think not this is what the rule says about a delayed penalty, where possession is required:

Note:

Sprig is right on.

USA Hockey Rules

http://www.usahockey.com/FileServlet/relat...%20Rulebook.pdf

(d) Batting the puck above the normal height of the

shoulders with the stick is prohibited and when it

occurs there shall be a whistle and the ensuing

face-off shall take place at one of the end face-off

spots adjacent to the goal of the team causing the

stoppage unless:

(1) the puck is batted to an opponent and the opponent

gains possession and control of the puck in

which case the play shall continue, or

(2) a player of the defending team shall bat the

puck into his own goal in which case the goal

shall be allowed.

(Note) When a player bats the puck to an opponent

under subsection 1, the Referee shall give the

Here it is from the NCAA rule book, section 19A:

If the puck, after being batted in the air by a high stick, is controlled first

by an opponent, all players are eligible to play the puck and play shall not

be stopped. If the puck, after being batted in the air by a high stick, is controlled

first by that player or by a teammate, play must be stopped immediately.

Don't think it's arguable that Murray wasn't the first to control the puck after the ZPar high stick. Wish Shepard had missed it, he sure missed everything else.

Here it is from the NCAA rule book, section 19A:

If the puck, after being batted in the air by a high stick, is controlled first

by an opponent, all players are eligible to play the puck and play shall not

be stopped. If the puck, after being batted in the air by a high stick, is controlled

first by that player or by a teammate, play must be stopped immediately.

Thanks sprig.

Long and the short of it IMO is that the Sioux got it handed to them tonite. Yeah, the goofers got more PP's. Sioux could have been called for some more too.

First period I think the Sioux looked like the better team, but it all changed a few minutes into the second. I always want the Sioux to win, and I was smacking my ceiling when we thought we scored with 14 seconds left, but the fact of the matter is sometimes it might be ok to lose when you should lose. Maybe you learn more from that than squeeking one out.

I watched the game on TV only, but man, the goofs looked awfully good. And like someone else said, I wouldn't have wanted to squeek this one out and then try and beat them down the road in the playoffs with everything riding on it. They won't feel cheated this way.

Props to Parise tonite. For the domination the Sioux were handed the last couple of periods and he only lost 2-1 is pretty good. Just when we thought maybe Brandt was going to take the goaltending reins down the stretch it seems the competition for the #1 goalie just keeps getting stronger. Brandt played well last night too, but can you say Parise was worse tonite? I don't think so.

Not happy with some of the penalties our boys took. Canady last night did try to hold up but shouldn't have been in that situation, and Prpich tonite threw out that blatant elbow to the head (however, couldn't have happened to a nice Taylor). We gotta be smarter about some of that stuff.

Hale played a good game tonite, and I thought Parise looked great again too.

Murray looks like he's going to be special but still is 6 inches from making a bunch of special plays each night. Hope he starts clicking on them soon.

O well, we got 2 points and I won my total goals bet so all in all I'm satisfied with the weekend. Next week I get to see the Sioux in person. I've been looking forward to this yearly trip all season!

There ya have it, looks like a decent call to me. Fact is, if the Sioux had played the entire game with that kind of enthusiasm and drive, they wouldn't have needed that goal to tie the game at the end. They had a 14 game unbeaten streak, those things eventually come to an end. Better now than in March or April.

Fact is, if the Sioux had played the entire game with that kind of enthusiasm and drive, they wouldn't have needed that goal to tie the game at the end.

No doubt, if the clock had another 30 ticks on it, I think the game would have been tied.