SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympics (Parise,Oshie,Toews, LamTwins) - Sochi, Russia

AZSIOUX

Did anyone see Tom Chorske say that there should have been more Minnesotans on the Olympic team but they weren't taken because they were from Minnesota? Seems to me they got a lot of Minnesotans on the team, including several that were on the bubble like Oshie, Wheeler and Martin.

Even more from the women's side

@SchlossmanGF: Once Toews is announced on Team Canada, UND will have 9 current/former hockey players headed to the 2014 Sochi Games.

What am I missing here? I count:

Parise

Oshie

J. Lamoureaux

M. Lamoureaux

Toews

Who are the other 4?

What am I missing here? I count:

Parise

Oshie

J. Lamoureaux

M. Lamoureaux

Toews

Who are the other 4?

Karvinen, Fallman, Eisenschmid and Fellner. I thought it was 5 more that were going. The fifth being Tapani for Finland, but I may be wrong on that. I would never question Schloss.

Did anyone see Tom Chorske say that there should have been more Minnesotans on the Olympic team but they weren't taken because they were from Minnesota? Seems to me they got a lot of Minnesotans on the team, including several that were on the bubble like Oshie, Wheeler and Martin.

Didn't hear Chorske, but I'd say the only MN "snub" may have been Okposo...other than that the only chatter I've heard is about Bobby Ryan and Yandle who aren't from MN. Maybe Erik Johnson? He may have been at the expense of Martin if selected. I suppose keeping Orpik and Martin together was the strategy.

Didn't hear Chorske, but I'd say the only MN "snub" may have been Okposo...other than that the only chatter I've heard is about Bobby Ryan and Yandle who aren't from MN. Maybe Erik Johnson? He may have been at the expense of Martin if selected. I suppose keeping Orpik and Martin together was the strategy.

This year's Olympics are going to have a ton of TOUGH teams. I had high hopes for this USA team, and am still hoping they come away with a medal, however after seeing the roster I'm not sold on them - mainly the D. They're going to be VERY young and inexperienced. I would have rather they taken Yandle and possibly Jack Johnson. Bobby Ryan would also have fit nicely on this team up front. The only USA defenseman that would crack Canada's lineup is Suter.

Having said that, I suppose when I go back and look at the 2010 roster I probably felt the same, so I hope they prove me wrong.

I'm pretty surprised but thankful they released such an in-depth look at the process. It makes it a bit harder to question their selections when you know how the team was put together. Oshie makes it mainly because the coaches really want him there...not a bad quality for a player. I still think Bishop or Schneider would've been a better call than Howard, but ideally that guy won't play much anyway.

Edit: and by "they released" I mean "they were dumb enough to say whatever they were thinking with reporters in the room."

As expected, Toews officially named to Team Canada.

Got any other big scoops for us today, keikla?

Is Canada among the favorites to win gold medal in hockey at the Olympics?

Got the 49ers over the Packers despite the cold in Lambeau?

NDSU looking like a sure-thing three-peat in FCS football?

:lol:

Got any other big scoops for us today, keikla?

Is Canada among the favorites to win gold medal in hockey at the Olympics?

Got the 49ers over the Packers despite the cold in Lambeau?

NDSU looking like a sure-thing three-peat in FCS football?

:lol:

Here's a prediction for you, MM. I'm going out on a limb and predicting that Canada won't medal this year at the Olympics.

Here's a prediction for you, MM. I'm going out on a limb and predicting that Canada won't medal this year at the Olympics.

In anything? I'll take that bet.

I think Russia will really be out for revenge in men's hockey - especially after the whoopin' Canada put on them in the last Olympics.

I think Russia will really be out for revenge in men's hockey - especially after the whoopin' Canada put on them in the last Olympics.

HA! I was assuming we were discussing the Canadian Olympic hockey team and that we were all on the same page about that! Please allow me to re-phrase:

I'm going out on a limb and predict that the Canadian Men's Olympic Hockey Team won't medal at the 2014 Olympics being held in Sochi, Russia.

HA! I was assuming we were discussing the Canadian Olympic hockey team and that we were all on the same page about that! Please allow me to re-phrase:

I'm going out on a limb and predict that the Canadian Men's Olympic Hockey Team won't medal at the 2014 Olympics being held in Sochi, Russia.

I knew what you were saying...but still had to razz you. What's your predicted order of finish? Or should that be "Finnish"?

But most of us thought Canada would be out for revenge in this year's WJC and look how that one turned out.

I knew what you were saying...but still had to razz you. What's your predicted order of finish? Or should that be "Finnish"?

Ooohh boy...that's a tough one. I really think that this year's Olympic hockey will be some GREAT hockey. I think the following teams could probably take Gold or not even make the medal rounds (and I'm sure I'm missing some here):

Canada

USA

Sweden

Finland

Russia

Czech Republic

Slovakia

As the Olympics get closer, we'll need an Olympic Hockey thread in the Non-Collegiate sports section on SS.com. Heck, I'll go create it now. That'll be a great thread for some Olympic hockey talk and we can get into predictions as the games draw near!