SiouxSports.com Forum

Of power plays

jimdahl

As many predicted, the difference between UND's and UMN's power play was the difference tonight, but not in the way Gopher fans expected.

UM 1/7 (14% -- 86% kill for UND)

UND 2/4 (50% -- 50% kill for UM)

As Sioux fans, we know the game isn't over until the 3rd period ends. UND holds up its third period tradition, scoring on 2 of their first 3 shots in the period (both PP) and an empty-netter, while allowing no goals. +3

Unfortunately, UND fell short of its 5 goals/game average, so we'll have to make up for that tomorrow night to keep the average up :D

Boy, that game sounded ridiculous. I'm almost glad I could only hear it on the Internet and not actually see it. I may have hurt myself, or at least thrown something heavy through my television screen. :D

6 goals tomorrow night and all will be well with the 5 goal average. :p

As many predicted, the difference between UND's and UMN's power play was the difference tonight, but not in the way Gopher fans expected.

My son and I were watching the game and when the Sioux went on the power play with the scored tied 2-2, I said to him, "Let's get a goal here and beat the Gophers at their own game."

And they did. :D

During the 1980 National Semifinal, the Sioux trailed Dartmouth 0-1 after 2 periods. A reporter from Hockey News came down to talk with us, and after we each said "we're a 3rd period team" 3-4 times, he got the picture about how supremely confident we were going into any 3rd period.

This year's Sioux gives me that same feeling.

(PS those 1980 Sioux scored 4 unanswered in the 3rd .... and the rest is history.)

During the 1980 National Semifinal, the Sioux trailed Dartmouth 0-1 after 2 periods. A reporter from Hockey News came down to talk with us, and after we each said "we're a 3rd period team" 3-4 times, he got the picture about how supremely confident we were going into any 3rd period.

This year's Sioux gives me that same feeling.

(PS those 1980 Sioux scored 4 unanswered in the 3rd .... and the rest is history.)

Anyone get word of who threw the rat (gopher) out on the ice before the start of the game? I presume it was a Sioux fan - who may or may not have been tossed out? I want to buy that person a case - reminded me of the old Ralph and practically brought tears to my eyes.

Anyone get word of who threw the rat (gopher) out on the ice before the start of the game? I presume it was a Sioux fan - who may or may not have been tossed out? I want to buy that person a case - reminded me of the old Ralph and practically brought tears to my eyes.

Is that what that was? I thought it was a second puck.

UM 1/7 (14% -- 86% kill for UND)

UND 2/4 (50% -- 50% kill for UM)

As Sioux fans, we know the game isn't over until the 3rd period ends. UND holds up its third period tradition, scoring on 2 of their first 3 shots in the period (both PP) and an empty-netter, while allowing no goals. +3

Unfortunately, UND fell short of its 5 goals/game average, so we'll have to make up for that tomorrow night to keep the average up :D

The Sioux PP sure seems to click against the Gophs. That is five this year in three games.

Although PP's look like the difference on paper, I think Brandt (or Briggs) was the difference. He single handedly prevented the Gophs from getting a 2 goal lead.

Then when the Sioux took the lead, the rest of the team really stepped up and shut down the Gophs. I don't think the Sioux gave the Gophs a good chance to tie the game despite the late PP.

Although PP's look like the difference on paper, I think Brandt (or Briggs) was the difference.  He single handedly prevented the Gophs from getting a 2 goal lead.

It's tough to argue that Brandt had a good game, but really so did Briggs; quite a few clutch saves for both goalies. While that may have been the turning point/spark for the team, I thought the difference in power play really came down to the Sioux D, and frankly quite often, Parise. Though Brandt did step up and make saves when the puck came toward the net, I thought the Sioux penalty kill did a great job of preventing shots and clearing the zone; there were a few times I was hoping a for a short-handed.

If I had to point to a difference between Briggs and Brandt last night, it would be the rebounds. Briggs gave up quite a few that don't show up on the boxscore because they weren't converted into goals, whereas Brandt did a pretty good job of covering the puck.

Maybe the PP goals for the Sioux shouldn't surprise us. I have to give Woog/whoever his stat boy is credit for displaying how good the Sioux PP has been. During pregame, they showed that the Sioux PP the last 4 or 6 games is around 30%. It was actually better than the Gophers. The Gophers PK the last like 8 games hadn't given up a goal in 22 chances.

A Koalska quote following the game:

Their defensemen are big, but they aren't the best skaters.

If you listen to Matt's comments on KFAN he said a few other classic stuff. However, our defensemen have our team ranked number one in Defense in the leauge. By the way in case anyone is keeping track UND is 6-0-1 on the road this season. I wonder if we need to email Wooger and let him know that... I wonder if he is going to say we have a questionable road schedule too...

Just another round of stats for some: UND is the top offense in the country with 5.0 goals per game and UND is 7th in Defense with 2.27. Third in the Nation in penalty killing. Incidently 2nd in the league in PK and third on the PP in the WCHA. That is a pretty solid team for having some big slow defensemen.

If you listen to Matt's comments on KFAN he said a few other classic stuff. However, our defensemen have our team ranked number one in Defense in the leauge. By the way in case anyone is keeping track UND is 6-0-1 on the road this season. I wonder if we need to email Wooger and let him know that... I wonder if he is going to say we have a questionable road schedule too...

Just another round of stats for some: UND is the top offense in the country with 5.0 goals per game and UND is 7th in Defense with 2.27. Third in the Nation in penalty killing. Incidently 2nd in the league in PK and third on the PP in the WCHA. That is a pretty solid team for having some big slow defensemen.

We're 2nd in the WCHA in PP? :p:D

I think I need to rethink my beliefs on our power play unit. I could have swore we weren't that great on the PP.

We're 2nd in the WCHA in PP?  :p  :D

I think I need to rethink my beliefs on our power play unit.  I could have swore we weren't that great on the PP.

Over the last few games we've been well over 30%, which helps the stats a lot. Here's how things look after last night:

Power Play:                    Totals    SHA       PCT
 1   Minnesota                25/ 81      1      30.9
 2   Minnesota-Duluth         21/ 82      3      25.6
 3   North Dakota             17/ 84      1      20.2
 4   Michigan Tech            13/ 66      1      19.7[/code] And:
[code]Penalty Kill:                  Totals    SHF       PCT
 1   North Dakota             80/ 91      2      87.9
 2   Colorado College         60/ 70      0      85.7
 3   St. Cloud State          74/ 87      4      85.1
 4   Minnesota                73/ 87      3      83.9