SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Pacific (Oregon Tournament Day #3)

FSSD

There are guys shooting three's that should not at this point. Yes they started the year good but in the last 3 games it's not working and Coach Jones the way to beat a zone is penetrate thru the initial line and kick it. We are still setting high screens like they are running man to man. It's not working. I am positive teams will zone us and why shouldn't they, we are killing teams when they play us man to man and getting destroyed when they zone. Oh well we have this week to work on it hopefully with a full team and against Butler we will be a huge underdog.

There are guys shooting three's that should not at this point. Yes they started the year good but in the last 3 games it's not working and Coach Jones the way to beat a zone is penetrate thru the initial line and kick it. We are still setting high screens like they are running man to man. It's not working. I am positive teams will zone us and why shouldn't they, we are killing teams when they play us man to man and getting destroyed when they zone. Oh well we have this week to work on it hopefully with a full team and against Butler we will be a huge underdog.

Huff has made only 1 of his last 19 threes and Hooker has yet to make a three and Nash is just as bad lately but these are the ones shooting most of our threes. A lot to figure out and conference play begins in just a few weeks.

I also think playing Huff, Nash and Anderson for 37+ minutes last night had a huge impact in the 2nd half tonight. Huff and Nash especially looked totally spent in the 2nd half, they could not move on defense and looked like their legs where gone. That was a huge mistake last night. Our defense is also horrible right now. However, we do have time to fix things and missing Schuler was huge against all the zones with his shots and he is very calm and composed on the court.

My question now is how bad is NDSU? We were both supposed to be good veteran teams. These three games will kill the teams RPI and seeding if they make the tournament.

Saul at NDSU was dumb enough to run man to man all night against us.

Did I really see 4 people outside and 1 in when they ran zone these 3 games? I don't think I saw 1 time a UND player in the gap at the free throw line. I would seriously run a 1-3-1 offense when they play 2-3. I would put Nash/Traylor/Huff/Schuler right at the free throw line and make them pay. They need to quit dribbling so much in the zone and actually pass faster to keep them moving.

GET TO THE GAPS OF THE ZONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its that simple to beat a zone, it really is!

Did I really see 4 people outside and 1 in when they ran zone these 3 games? I don't think I saw 1 time a UND player in the gap at the free throw line. I would seriously run a 1-3-1 offense when they play 2-3. I would put Nash/Traylor/Huff/Schuler right at the free throw line and make them pay. They need to quit dribbling so much in the zone and actually pass faster to keep them moving.

GET TO THE GAPS OF THE ZONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its that simple to beat a zone, it really is!

I agree 100%. Get the ball in the middle of the defense and make the defense converge and the find the wide open guy. I would put either Huff or Schuler in the middle cause Huff from that position can get to the rim and Schuler will make the correct pass or have a wide open 15' shot that he will easily make.

Why does it feel like every positive step forward with Men's BB is followed by two steps back? It has gotten to the point where I anticipate a "reality check" following any big win. Jones has this program real close to being a consistently winning Big Sky program, but we have to start producing consistently from one game to the next. And a team full of seniors like this one shouldn't have that problem.

Why does it feel like every positive step forward with Men's BB is followed by two steps back? It has gotten to the point where I anticipate a "reality check" following any big win. Jones has this program real close to being a consistently winning Big Sky program, but we have to start producing consistently from one game to the next. And a team full of seniors like this one shouldn't have that problem.

I am still at the same point I've been for about three years--expect to beat everybody at home, and expect to lose to nearly everybody on the road/neutral court.