SiouxSports.com Forum

Portland State GDT

geaux_sioux

If I were Bartells I would tell Muss to cram it and transfer - then hope I came back to beat his ass -if he were still around

y

Bartels would have probably been sacked ten times today. His best chance at getting playing time is to stay at UND and wait for an opportunity fill if after a Molberg injury which is probably going to happen if our O-line doesn't get better.

How can our O-line be so bad? Mussman played the o-line for Pete's sake. I agree that our RBs are undersized, but Miller had no problem running between the tackles against Fresno state a couple of years ago. This position has steadily gotten worse every year.

How can we not find a play that works whe we know they are rushing 7? A middle screen? Trips on the right with somebody isolated on the left? Screen to the running back in the backfield? Something.

Can we stop handing the ball off to Jackson in the backfield? I think everyone has that figured out.

On the bright side, defense played well today

The defense was fantastic today. They bent a little bit, sure, but they gave up only 1 big play. They gave up 0 points when PSU started a drive before the 50 yard line. Kotelnicki has these guys playing better and better. The best part is seeing Kuksa lead the team in tackles, he's starting to really play well. Our tackling of Adams was 100X better this year than last year. I don't know what to say about the offense..... literally I've got nothing.

y

Bartels would have probably been sacked ten times today. His best chance at getting playing time is to stay at UND and wait for an opportunity fill if after a Molberg injury which is probably going to happen if our O-line doesn't get better.

How can our O-line be so bad? Mussman played the o-line for Pete's sake. I agree that our RBs are undersized, but Miller had no problem running between the tackles against Fresno state a couple of years ago. This position has steadily gotten worse every year.

How can we not find a play that works whe we know they are rushing 7? A middle screen? Trips on the right with somebody isolated on the left? Screen to the running back in the backfield? Something.

Can we stop handing the ball off to Jackson in the backfield? I think everyone has that figured out.

On the bright side, defense played well today

How would you feel standing on the sidelines watching the last couple of games? What has to happen to get him in - how could our play be worse?Wouldn't blame him a bit if he told Muss to suck eggs and went elsewhere-

How would you feel standing on the sidelines watching the last couple of games? What has to happen to get him in - how could our play be worse?Wouldn't blame him a bit if he told Muss to suck eggs and went elsewhere-

What don't you understand about an immobile qb being a liability when the o line can't protect for a guy that can actually run?

What don't you understand about an immobile qb being a liability when the o line can't protect for a guy that can actually run?

Muss is basically telling him - you're not getting in no matter how crappy Molberg plays. How would you like that as a freshman?

What chance does he ever have of winning the starting job?

The defense was fantastic today. They bent a little bit, sure, but they gave up only 1 big play. They gave up 0 points when PSU started a drive before the 50 yard line. Kotelnicki has these guys playing better and better. The best part is seeing Kuksa lead the team in tackles, he's starting to really play well. Our tackling of Adams was 100X better this year than last year. I don't know what to say about the offense..... literally I've got nothing.

The best part is your safety leads the team in tackles?

When that is the "best part" you are coming from a dark place.

If I were Bartells I would tell Muss to cram it and transfer - then hope I came back to beat his ass -if he were still around

Maybe he's not a quitter. Quitting isn't the answer to every adversity in life. I hope he sticks it out. He and Mollberg will make each other better over the years, no matter who ends up getting the lion's share of playing time. And you never know when your number might be called; e.g., you never know when the starter might suffer a game-ending/season-ending/career-ending injury or when the coach might decide to make a change. For example, Bradley quit last year after losing the competition for the starting job to Hansen. Had he not quit, he probably (unfortunately) would have been first in line to take over after Hansen broke his leg. Unfortunately for him and fortunately for us, he had quit and Hendrickson took over and did an outstanding job. To take it a step further, if Hendrickson had been a quitter and not had the character to stick it out for 4 (5?) years as a second/third stringer, he wouldn't have had the outstanding senior year that he had, either. But he stuck it out and was ready when opportunity presented itself. Sticking it out doesn't guarantee that you'll get the opportunity, but quitting guarantees that you'll never experience those kind of opportunities.

Maybe he's not a quitter. Quitting isn't the answer to every adversity in life. I hope he sticks it out. He and Mollberg will make each other better over the years, no matter who ends up getting the lion's share of playing time. And you never know when your number might be called; e.g., you never know when the starter might suffer a game-ending/season-ending/career-ending injury or when the coach might decide to make a change. For example, Bradley quit last year after losing the competition for the starting job to Hansen. Had he not quit, he probably (unfortunately) would have been first in line to take over after Hansen broke his leg. Unfortunately for him and fortunately for us, he had quit and Hendrickson took over and did an outstanding job. To take it a step further, if Hendrickson had been a quitter and not had the character to stick it out for 4 (5?) years as a second/third stringer, he wouldn't have had the outstanding senior year that he had, either. But he stuck it out and was ready when opportunity presented itself. Sticking it out doesn't guarantee that you'll get the opportunity, but quitting guarantees that you'll never experience those kind of opportunities.

Great point. Except for Hansen. Quitting and transferring was absolutely the answer to his adversity.

Great point. Except for Hansen. Quitting and transferring was absolutely the answer to his adversity.

Well............except that we'll obviously never know what might have happened had he stuck it out at UNC for his 5th year. Maybe something, maybe not. Plus, he did have the character to stick it out for 4 years there.

O line this o line that....same o line that last year different quarterbacks did much better than mollberg this year?

I agree last year Hanson and Hebdrickson was lighting up defenses with pretty much the same O line. What changed? Oh yeah the QB's. They are still very immature and hopefully they can mature before next August against San Jose State.

Might want to go back and check your facts on that one.

This is so true.

Last season, the experienced senior QBs had a certain feel in the pocket when they sensed pressure and reacted accordingly. You probably won’t see that as much early on with the freshman QBs, so the protection up front becomes even more important.

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/page/4/

This is so true.

Last years the normal starting line was from left to right Lynch-Anderson-McGurran-Gillson-Deneui though there were some other starters due to injuries.

This year it is Kleason-Anderson-Walker-Meehan-Barton/Deneui

So you have a new left tackle, who protects the QB's blindside and a new center, who calls the protections for the line (and replacing a guy who had started every game for 4 years) on top of having a new RG. Yeah, sounds pretty much the same.