SiouxSports.com Forum

Offensive Ineptitude

Matt

In one year this offense has gone from among the most prolific in the country to one of the worst.

The drop off in level of play is perhaps the most obvious at the QB position. As Tom Miller pointed out, since redshirt freshman quarterback Joe Mollberg was named the starter, he’s thrown for no touchdowns and six interceptions. In the last four weeks, UND’s quarterbacks have thrown one touchdown to eight picks.

However, despite familiar names back on the O-line, has that unit's level of play dropped off significantly from last year or did last year's veteran signal callers simply make them look better than they were?

The drop off is so bad the question is worth asking: who/what is responsible for the lack of production?

It doesn't help mollberg out when they roll him out to the left to throw the ball. Just stupid stuff. I realize he has made some boneheaded throws too but the play calling isn't helping him whatsoever. Why are we never going over the top to Hardin? The one time we did it it was a touchdown but hardin dropped it probably because he was so surprised that mollberg had enough time to get the ball off. It also doesn't help when the defense doesn't have to respect the run game because we have a 100 lb RB that can't break a tackle or make a guy miss starting for us and we won't experiment with others (sparks). The only thing I like about our offense right now is how we have been getting it to Jackson. He has clearly been our best player the past couple of weeks. Where is this OC that was such a good hire/promotion in the offseason? Mannausa looks like he was clearly better. Vent over.

• Upvote 2

It doesn't help mollberg out when they roll him out to the left to throw the ball. Just stupid stuff. I realize he has made some boneheaded throws too but the play calling isn't helping him whatsoever. Why are we never going over the top to Hardin? The one time we did it it was a touchdown but hardin dropped it probably because he was so surprised that mollberg had enough time to get the ball off. It also doesn't help when the defense doesn't have to respect the run game because we have a 100 lb RB that can't break a tackle or make a guy miss starting for us and we won't experiment with others (sparks). The only thing I like about our offense right now is how we have been getting it to Jackson. He has clearly been our best player the past couple of weeks. Where is this OC that was such a good hire/promotion in the offseason? Mannausa looks like he was clearly better. Vent over.

Well Mannausau was the defensive coordinator so I doubt him leaving has much to do with the offensive play calling.

After watching SU suck the life out of SIU, it is evident that you HAVE TO RUN THE BALL to win at this level. The UND era of PlayStation play calling has to end. NCC mentality smash mouth offensive FB needs to be restored. SU's O-line was so dominant vs a team that averaged giving up just 85 on the ground/game that they just flat out quit late in the 3rd. That is how you win games...on the road...and in Frisco.

Is there an Oline out there, I know there is a center, since someone has to snap the ball, but, after that, seems that absolutely no one gets blocked. Muss say Molberg needs to hit the eject button a bit faster, but he didn't even have time to twitch before he was hit. A brutal o performance, I could see the receivers getting frustrated having to run patterns over and over with almost no hope of ever getting the ball.

After watching SU suck the life out of SIU, it is evident that you HAVE TO RUN THE BALL to win at this level. The UND era of PlayStation play calling has to end. NCC mentality smash mouth offensive FB needs to be restored. SU's O-line was so dominant vs a team that averaged giving up just 85 on the ground/game that they just flat out quit late in the 3rd. That is how you win games...on the road...and in Frisco.

NDSU doesn't play "smash mouth", they have built a O-Line that is dominant with the run and pass. This isn't about running the ball or "playstation", this is about having the talent to accomplish the goal. Don't get me wrong, we do have some talent, but over the past 6 seasons, Muss has failed to bring in the talent on the O-Line, thus we don't run the ball well and our pass protection is terrible. You can have the best QB,RB and WR's in the world but winning comes in the trenches. Obviously you want to recruit playmakers on both sides of the ball, but if it was me, I would be searching high and low for the best OL/DL players that I could get my hands on.

A lot of factors at play here but obviously the penalties and turnovers are the biggest.

UND has a young quarterback with all the potential in the world but he's just not playing smart football. He single-handedly accounts for at least one interception each game. The other interceptions are a result of the pressure he's under. UND doesn't have a running game, which is so important for a young quarterback that hasn't seen all of the coverages a starting Big Sky quarterback is going to see. If Brock Jensen at NDSU was asked to throw the ball 40 times a game with no running game during his freshman season, you'd probably see similar results. What UND is capable of doing right now just doesn't fit well with a freshman quarterback.

And, on top of poor quarterback and O-line play, UND has no Big Sky-caliber running backs. Consistently playing Jake Miller and Jer Garmin will not work. They are both sub 180 lbs and they can't break tackles to produce on their own. They need great blocking ahead of them and this offensive line is not giving them that.

Bottom line, I think this offense, and ultimately the entire team, has packed it in for the season. Mussman has lost his group and they are now a unmotivated bunch that don't care anymore. A team that doesn't play with passion is a team that doesn't win many games. We'll see more of what we saw yesterday throughout the coming weeks.

NDSU doesn't play "smash mouth", they have built a O-Line that is dominant with the run and pass. This isn't about running the ball or "playstation", this is about having the talent to accomplish the goal.

Really??? You didn't watch the SU game yesterday or basically any of their games the last 3-4 years. Their main goal on O is to break your will and ability to stop the run...period. The 2nd half of the SU game yesterday was a joke...they lined up, basically said we are going to run it until you stop it...which didn't happen. 200+ in the 3rd quarter alone is smashmouth IMO.

Really??? You didn't watch the SU game yesterday or basically any of their games the last 3-4 years. Their main goal on O is to break your will and ability to stop the run...period. The 2nd half of the SU game yesterday was a joke...they lined up, basically said we are going to run it until you stop it...which didn't happen. 200+ in the 3rd quarter alone is smashmouth IMO.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. It would take UND another 4 yrs and a new roster to implement that style of play. This roster can't be effective with the finesse style for which it was assembled, let alone line up and run it down someone's throat, playing for field position and time of possession, with good defense.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. It would take UND another 4 yrs and a new roster to implement that style of play. This roster can't be effective with the finesse style for which it was assembled, let alone line up and run it down someone's throat, playing for field position and time of possession, with good defense.

Doesn't matter? You don't think much of the O and D issues are because Muss's team couldn't pound it down even a HS team's throat? We wasted 6 years w Muss...what's another 4??? You have to be able to effectively run the ball and stop the run to have any sustained success at the FCS level.

And without change this will still look the same way in 4+ years. Best to start over from scratch, it's going to be several years before UND football is back in the mix.

Doesn't matter? You don't think much of the O and D issues are because Muss's team couldn't pound it down even a HS team's throat? We wasted 6 years w Muss...what's another 4??? You have to be able to effectively run the ball and stop the run to have any sustained success at the FCS level.

The argument about the nuances of ndsu's power game doesn't matter. I agree with you-this roster is incapable of that style of play. They aren't even coached up well enough to run their current style well.

If the next coach wants to implement an ndsu style of play, the roster will need to turn over. Those horses are not on the current roster.

Not necessarily. The right guy could get things going in a hurry.

Last year, with essentially the same team (i.e Braden Hanson), this squad did have offensive firepower. How is it possible to for it to regress so much. QB leadership? Coaching? Freshman QB? OL regress? If Mussman's insistence that two freshman QB would lead us to the promised land, that just goes to show how delusional Mussman is. There was opportunities to bring FBS QB transfers and it didn't happen. This team will likely never have as good of WR depth as it has now. Bring in somebody else to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Last year, with essentially the same team (i.e Braden Hanson), this squad did have offensive firepower. How is it possible to for it to regress so much. QB leadership? Coaching? Freshman QB? OL regress? If Mussman's insistence that two freshman QB would lead us to the promised land, that just goes to show how delusional Mussman is. There was opportunities to bring FBS QB transfers and it didn't happen. This team will likely never have as good of WR depth as it has now. Bring in somebody else to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

I feel like they had a good offseason and had a good fall camp and felt too good about themselves going into the season and expected things to just happen. They've been too loose as a team and it showed with all the penalties and undisciplined play/behavior. Ultimately if they had a Sabban type control freak that would be on them about every tiny detail this season would probably be going differently.

Having a strong running game isn't "smashmouth" football. Running a power offense that relies solely on a running game is "smashmouth". NDSU has the ability to run or throw, but when the defense is giving up large chunks on the ground, why throw. The point I was trying to make is you win in the trenches with a strong OL/DL and we obviously do not have that.