SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-Gopher series

01grad

Brandt played better against Boston College than Parise did, giving up 2 goals on 22 shots as opposed to Jordan's 4 goals on 22 shots. The difference was that the Sioux scored 6 goals when Parise played and only 1 goal when Brandt played. Brandt also played well in the loss to SCSU, another game in which the Sioux scored only 1 goal. I don't think you can blame UND's two losses on Brandt.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was one of the more insightful things I've heard from Woog. Are we sure he wrote that? Or does he have a stat lackey working for him? Maybe he does the idiot act on TV on purpose. He mainly speaks from his arse and never pulls out stats on broadcasts, but used them well in the article.

Let's not sell Briggs short. He also shut down CC in CC, which is no small feat. I think if we start comparing Briggs' wins to Parise's, we're basically splitting hairs.

True...I watched both of those CC/UMN games and Briggs looked REALLY sharp - albeit their D played well also.

Let's not sell Briggs short. He also shut down CC in CC, which is no small feat. I think if we start comparing Briggs' wins to Parise's, we're basically splitting hairs.

He had the motivation. It was his hometown in front of family and friends. Though some can't handle this. So I am impressed. I also don't think CC is as good as their record. They looked terrible in that series.

CC did look horrible in that series, on their home ice. It makes me wonder what kind of team they really are and how tough they are going to play down the stretch.

I wasn't impressed with CC going into the UM series, as the best teams they had faced were SCSU, DU and UW.

Certainly not impressed now. I will be shocked if they make either the Final Five or the NCAAs.

I'm thinking Woog has a stat lackey or some kind of an assistant who wrote that piece for him. Way to impartial for him to have written it.

If people actually listenened to the Wooger during a broadcast, they'd hear how often he compliments the Gophers' opponent and finds ways to criticize things the Gophers have done. Sure he's a homer, but no more so than any other college hockey announcer that does a local broadcast.

If people actually listenened to the Wooger during a broadcast, they'd hear how often he compliments the Gophers' opponent and finds ways to criticize things the Gophers have done. Sure he's a homer, but no more so than any other college hockey announcer that does a local broadcast.

Wooger isn't as bad that that Mazzocco (Sp?) clown. Hair Club for Men or what?

Everyone listened to Woog in the last game when he criticized UND. Obviously some people didn't like him before, but he made it worse last Saturday. Of course I will listen to TH this weekend, but I'm sure I will get a kick out of what Woog will say because I'm sure it will get posted here.

Everyone listened to Woog in the last game when he criticized UND. Obviously some people didn't like him before, but he made it worse last Saturday. Of course I will listen to TH this weekend, but I'm sure I will get a kick out of what Woog will say because I'm sure it will get posted here.

Do you think a Sioux announcer has never said anything bad about the Gophers? You act as if he was the Japanese breaking a promise not to start a war with the United States. He says one bad thing about the Sioux and all of a sudden he's the anti-Christ of hockey announcers? I just said if you actually listened to him you'd realize he's very prone to complimenting Gopher opponents, but if you want to focus on one comment que sera, sera.

Do you think a Sioux announcer has never said anything bad about the Gophers? You act as if he was the Japanese breaking a promise not to start a war with the United States. He says one bad thing about the Sioux and all of a sudden he's the anti-Christ of hockey announcers? I just said if you actually listened to him you'd realize he's very prone to complimenting Gopher opponents, but if you want to focus on one comment que sera, sera.

What the hell is it to you if Sioux fans hate Woog? Who are you, his kid? Your understand that Woog should be pro-UMN since that is who he works for, but don't understand why Sioux fans are anti-Woog? Go bark up a different tree. :(

Your understand that Woog should be pro-UMN since that is who he works for, but don't understand why Sioux fans are anti-Woog?

I can understand it but not for the reasons given. People can hate or dislike whomever they want, I simply responded to erroneous comments regarding how Woog announces. :(

Woog is a Gopher homer. UND has Sioux homers among its media. Nobody should be surprised that there are homers on both sides of the fence. But perhaps I can shed some light on why I think Woog bugs some Sioux fans so much.

First, none of the pro-Sioux media have the same stage that Woog has. What they write about and broadcast is mostly heard, seen and read by Sioux fans. Woog's comments are broadcast well beyond the Gopher kingdom. Many Sioux fans must listen to Woog if they want sound with the game they're watching.

Assuming that Woog actually wrote the analysis of the Sioux-Gopher game that was posted on this board, he did a pretty good job of summarizing the matchup. I don't see any Sioux fans upset about his take on the game.

My guess is that because the Sioux and Gophers are playing this weekend and Woog will be providing commentary during the games, he's taken time to research what UND has done since the two teams met early in the season. With some facts in hand, he's shown that he's very capable of providing an intelligent assessment of the upcoming series.

But having listened to some of Woog's comments about UND during games in which the Sioux aren't playing, it seems fairly obvious that he bases most of his opinions on what happened with UND last season. He makes the assumption that what happened last season is happening or will happen this season.

Knowledgeable Sioux fans operate with this season's perspective, not last season's. Therefore, when Woog directly or indirectly implies that the Sioux have the same problems or weaknesses that they had a year ago, it drives people crazy. It makes him appear as if he doesn't know what he's talking about. And the truth is, many times he doesn't.

However, I can cut him some slack on that score. I know that my knowledge of the Sioux is always much better than my knowledge of other teams in the WCHA. I tend to gather information on the team UND is playing during the week of the series. As a result, I'm in a better position to state opinions based on facts rather than making assumptions based on what happened last season.

About four years ago, I was one of those Sioux fans who liked to pick on Woog for some of the nonsensical comments he made about UND. But over time, I've come to realize that it's not realistic or reasonable for me to expect him to know all that I know about the Sioux. Do most Sioux fans know as much about the Gophers as Woog does? Of course not.

A college professor once told me that used to hate cats because they always seemed so stuck-up and arrogant. But then he found out that the reason cats act that way is because they have tiny brains and they're actually very stupid animals. Once he learned to look at cats from that perspective, he found them much easier to tolerate.

Just think of Woog as a cat. :(

So if we've grown to hate the gophers and Woog's comments, we should throw dead gophers and cats on the ice now? :)

It sounds like other U of M status wanabe teams such as Mankato are starting to copy our tradition of the gophers. It must be tougher at the new arena to do this as I haven't heard of it happening yet. Or perhaps it is too sad to see a dead animal of any sorts on the ice in ND, which is probably highly unlikely with the great hunting and fishing.

I am really upset right now because I had somebody guarantee me tickets a month ago and now it appears they aren't going to come through for me. :(

Woog is a Gopher homer. UND has Sioux homers among its media. Nobody should be surprised that there are homers on both sides of the fence. But perhaps I can shed some light on why I think Woog bugs some Sioux fans so much.

First, none of the pro-Sioux media have the same stage that Woog has. What they write about and broadcast is mostly heard, seen and read by Sioux fans. Woog's comments are broadcast well beyond the Gopher kingdom. Many Sioux fans must listen to Woog if they want sound with the game they're watching.

Assuming that Woog actually wrote the analysis of the Sioux-Gopher game that was posted on this board, he did a pretty good job of summarizing the matchup. I don't see any Sioux fans upset about his take on the game.

My guess is that because the Sioux and Gophers are playing this weekend and Woog will be providing commentary during the games, he's taken time to research what UND has done since the two teams met early in the season. With some facts in hand, he's shown that he's very capable of providing an intelligent assessment of the upcoming series.

But having listened to some of Woog's comments about UND during games in which the Sioux aren't playing, it seems fairly obvious that he bases most of his opinions on what happened with UND last season. He makes the assumption that what happened last season is happening or will happen this season.

Knowledgeable Sioux fans operate with this season's perspective, not last season's. Therefore, when Woog directly or indirectly implies that the Sioux have the same problems or weaknesses that they had a year ago, it drives people crazy. It makes him appear as if he doesn't know what he's talking about. And the truth is, many times he doesn't.

However, I can cut him some slack on that score. I know that my knowledge of the Sioux is always much better than my knowledge of other teams in the WCHA. I tend to gather information on the team UND is playing during the week of the series. As a result, I'm in a better position to state opinions based on facts rather than making assumptions based on what happened last season.

About four years ago, I was one of those Sioux fans who liked to pick on Woog for some of the nonsensical comments he made about UND. But over time, I've come to realize that it's not realistic or reasonable for me to expect him to know all that I know about the Sioux. Do most Sioux fans know as much about the Gophers as Woog does? Of course not.

A college professor once told me that used to hate cats because they always seemed so stuck-up and arrogant. But then he found out that the reason cats act that way is because they have tiny brains and they're actually very stupid animals. Once he learned to look at cats from that perspective, he found them much easier to tolerate.

Just think of Woog as a cat. :(

I agree with Slap Shot too, and PCM's comments.

Woog is a homer. At the same time, he's willing to call a spade a spade regarding the play on the ice. And that's about all I ask for. I like listening to him because he's insightful as far as how the game is played, and colorful, even if he's not polished.

It could be worse. It could be Reed Larson...

Oh man, I thought he was better than Reed!

Reed was a piece of camel dung and there is a reason he is no longer with the Gopher. Reed was simply a hateful homer and I think he offended even the most obonoxious gopher homers...

Okay, it's finally game day!!!

Pioneer Press (Same as the article in GF Herald on Parise/Vanek, Friday)

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/7775497.htm

Star Tribune (Crying about how they were missing players in GF series)

http://www.startribune.com/stories/512/4334849.html

GF Herald (Bochenski/Vanek Hobey talk)

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/s...ota/7776020.htm

GF Herald (Defensive showdown, Virg Foss)

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/s...ota/7776107.htm

LET"S TAKE IT TO 'EM SIOUX!!!

From Grandpa Sid's column today:

Sonmor likes Gophers

Gophers ticket manager Dan Teschke said only rush tickets will be available for tonight's game between the Gophers and No.1-ranked North Dakota at Mariucci Arena.

Glen Sonmor, a scout for the Wild and a commentator for Gophers hockey games, said he is not sure the Gophers can be as good as last season's national champions, but he's confident they will be a contender.

"It's hard to say if they're gonna be as good as that, but from what we saw at the start of the year and the terrible start and now, they're a team that's definitely going to be a contender," he said. "They will definitely qualify for the final 16, and then they'll have as good a chance as anybody."

Sonmor said he likes the Gophers' depth.

"They have four lines that probably only one team that I've seen can match, and that happens to be North Dakota," Sonmor said. "They wear people down with their speed and puck-handling, and they put so much pressure on you, and that's what you see happen: They wear teams down and eventually they just roll over them. They may have a harder time doing that to North Dakota. But their defense, now that Keith Ballard and Chris Harrington are back, is so much better, and then of course the young freshman goalie, [Kellen Briggs], has come through very well.

"The big question: Is he going be one of those who's good enough to take them through the end of the year? But he sure looks right now like he's developing into that," Sonmor said .

Sonmor loves the ability of Gophers' Thomas Vanek, the No. 1 draft choice of the Buffalo Sabres.

"He's probably the most talented college player in the country," Sonmor said. "Once in a while, he doesn't show it to you, but he shows it to you enough. And he's going again right now. I think he was a little worn out -- both mentally and physically -- from the World Juniors and the trip over to Finland and everything. But he was great this last weekend again."

Well, one thing is certain: Don Lucia and his coaching staff have done a great job bringing this team back after a horrible start.