SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-Gopher series

01grad

Okay, I just thought it would be good to start a thread to keep up with all of the hype for this weekend. This would make it so we don't always need to check the gf hearld or other papers and sites, but rather just look here when they are found. It would be easier to read articles in their own thread vs. having to scroll through other discussions or starting a new thread for each one. So if you find one, please post it here!!!

Here is one from the Pioneer Press (1-20)

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/7748938.htm

Could the adminstration possibly stick this up near the top of the forum for the weekend, since it will probably slip down since nobody will be adding comments?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is one from the Pioneer Press (1-20)

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/7748938.htm

And they say he has no class:

Blais, a former Gopher who grew up in International Falls, Minn., was a potential candidate for the Minnesota coaching job when Doug Woog resigned in 1999, although he did not apply. Lucia got the Gophers' job, Blais re-upped at North Dakota, and "I think they hired the right guy," Blais said

The series with Minnesota: The Gophers lead the all-time series 122-111-11, and Minnesota has won six of the last 10 games between the teams.

UND, however, has won three of the last four, including a sweep (7-3 and 5-3) of the Gophers on November 7-8 in Grand Forks.

I think this really tells the tale, UND has won 3 or the last 4 games it has played against the Gophers. I hope a nother streak is coming...

The Heard It and the Pioneer Press are both Knight Ridder papers.

They share alot of news content.

This is one of the reasons why the Pioneer Press kicks the Star and Sickle's hind end on Drew Sjodin coverage.

Did not know that. That would explain why their websites are set up the same. The Star does suck, they should just call it the Peoples Republic Daily.

I know this thread is for updates and I apologize in advance for asking a question on this thread. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I've never heard the answer. Why is there dispairity between each schools records against each other? The gophers claim to hold an 129-112-11 record against us, while we claim to hold a 111-122-11 record against the gophers. Does anyone out there know the real reason we differ in our records against one another? Thanks.

I know this thread is for updates and I apologize in advance for asking a question on this thread. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I've never heard the answer. Why is there dispairity between each schools records against each other? The gophers claim to hold an 129-112-11 record against us, while we claim to hold a 111-122-11 record against the gophers. Does anyone out there know the real reason we differ in our records against one another? Thanks.

I'd guess the difference is based off when each school started counting the games.

The Minnesota release claims the first game was in 1930. I think the UND stats may include only games that were "NCAA" games. Discarding the matchups in the pre-NCAA days. Just a guess though.

Why is there dispairity between each schools records against each other? The gophers claim to hold an 129-112-11 record against us, while we claim to hold a 111-122-11 record against the gophers. Does anyone out there know the real reason we differ in our records against one another?

UND's records date back to the 1947-48 season, which is regarded as the first "official" season in Fighting Sioux hockey history.

If you're interested, here is MN's weekly press release.

I've always enjoyed UM's hockey press releases. They are very thorough and interesting.

However, I noticed this year that the PC police must have found their way into UM's athletic department. They used the football logo and made no reference to UND's nickname anywhere in the release. Have they had that policy for a while? Do they have that policy against Illinois too?

Looks like UM is taking a page out of SCSU's handbook. :)

However, I noticed this year that the PC police must have found their way into UM's athletic department. They used the football logo and made no reference to UND's nickname anywhere in the release. Have they had that policy for a while? Do they have that policy against Illinois too?

Looks like UM is taking a page out of SCSU's handbook. :)

Did you honestly expect differently? It is the University of the People's Republic of Minnesota, after all.

Star Tribune brief write-up on the Parise boys (1-22-04)

I tried copying the link, but when you do this it says you need to have a login and password. The best way to find this then is by just going to www.startribune.com and finding the story.

Woog's Wisdom in the Minnesota Hockey Journal

#1 UND at #5 Minnesota

Get ready for this one as Minnesota has received plenty of requests for tickets and it should be a great atmosphere at Mariucci. Everybody is healthy for both teams and on paper, UND looks like they should do pretty well. In the standings the Sioux have two games in hand, yet 7 more points than Minnesota. But this series isn

Star Tribune brief write-up on the Parise boys (1-22-04)

I tried copying the link, but when you do this it says you need to have a login and password. The best way to find this then is by just going to www.startribune.com and finding the story.

Here is the text:

College hockey notes: The 'other' Parise steps up for Sioux

Dennis Brackin and Rachel Blount

Published January 22, 2004 CPUK22

When "Parise" appears in a headline associated with University of North Dakota hockey, it is no longer safe to assume it relates to the goal-scoring exploits of sophomore Zach Parise. It's just as likely to refer to the goal-stopping exploits of freshman goaltender Jordan Parise, who has emerged as one of the season's biggest surprises for the No. 1-ranked Sioux.

In an unexpected role reversal, Jordan -- cut or released by three junior teams two years ago -- has a 9-0-2 record sharing goaltending duties with junior Jake Brandt. Zach, a No. 1 draft pick (17th overall) by New Jersey in last year's NHL entry draft, got off to a slow start in part because of a knee injury.

The Parise brothers -- the sons of former North Star J.P. Parise -- have been clicking on all cylinders lately, helping UND to a 14-game unbeaten streak and first place in the WCHA entering this weekend's series against the Gophers at Mariucci Arena.

Zach failed to score a goal in nine of the first 12 games, and had only one multi-goal game through Jan. 10. But he was named MVP after the United States won the recent World Junior Championship in Finland and had four goals in last weekend's sweep of Michigan Tech.

"The knee was a problem earlier, and the point production wasn't there," Zach said. "It's all healed now, and my total focus is on the game."

J.P. Parise said Zach gained confidence with his performance at the World Juniors.

"In the world of hockey, you constantly hear about the wonderful players in other countries, but in college, you don't go head-to-head with them," said J.P., the hockey director at Shattuck-St. Mary's Prep School in Faribault, Minn. "He went there really prepared, and showed at least to himself that he could compete with those players."

Zach was so good that New York media began speculating he could join the Devils after the college season. Zach and J.P. say no decision has been made.

But UND coach Dean Blais believes there's a good chance Zach will return to college next year, partly because he enjoys being his brother's teammate.

Jordan, almost two years older than Zach, spent two years in junior hockey before joining UND. He set a school record by opening his college career with eight consecutive victories and is coming off his first shutout, 4-0 over Michigan Tech last Saturday.

"He's been a winner all his life," J.P. said of Jordan. "It could be 5-4 or 8-7, but somehow he finds a way to win. And he's getting better and better."

Said Zach: "His whole life, he's been one of the most competitive kids I've ever met. He's like me in that respect -- he's always trying to get better."

I think that's a pretty fair analysis by Woog. The only part I'd differ with is the comparison between Briggs and Jordan Parise. Brandt is a big part of UND's success, too, and has shown that he can beat good teams on the road. He might prove to be the real difference in the series.

I guess I haven't heard enough of Woog to ever HEAR him be this impartial.

The fact about Briggs holds little salt due to the audience that reads him and his affiliation with the Gophers. Dissing a freshman goaltender who has been put in a place that he really shouldn't have to be in this year is a tough burden to carry for the guy. In this manner Woog simply calls it impartially enough not to truly diss the Sioux goaltending situation but still give a small pat on the back to what Briggs has done this season.

No, I argue that Briggs has not defeated the most good opponents, having tied BU and beaten UNH as tough opponents that come to my mind. Parise has beaten UMD, UMN (I think), BC (something Brandt didn't do this season), SCSU, and DU (me thinks). However, Briggs isn't on a team like the Sioux. On paper, however, Briggs should be in a similar situation as Parise because of the depth of the Gophers.

So, I'll give the kid some kudos for doing as much as he has in awkward times in Gopher-land. It won't be enough to defeat the Sioux twice in a row, but who are they going to turn to? JJ? I'm sure BB hopes so.