SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I work for a large corporation (excess of $2 billion) and that is exactly what our HR department is for.

To make judgment calls on gray areas such as NCAA violations? We're not talking about criminal background checks here. That comes later in the process and nobody is arguing that should be eliminated.

That is the entire point of HR regardless of position. The football coach has the same corporate responsibilities as any other position

Okay, you guys got it all figured out. UND is doing it right. Virtually every other DI school in the country is doing it wrong.

• Upvote 4

NAIA assistants who came into our house and punched us in the mouth without a single player on scholarship.

Yah your right. And look how good our staff turned out to be. They kicked the crap out of a staff that got fired due to their poor record, recruiting, and everything else. Congratulations - lets hire them!

I think we all need to step back and see what happens before we hang someone out to dry. I don't think anyone know exactly what is happening or the reasons things being done. I trust Faison though.

I think some on this board know what is happening. Hires like this are not made under a "cone of silence." Question is, are the sources reliable enough to put it out there.

To make judgment calls on gray areas such as NCAA violations? We're not talking about criminal background checks here. That comes later in the process and nobody is arguing that should be eliminated.

Okay, you guys got it all figured out. UND is doing it right. Virtually every other DI school in the country is doing it wrong.

We are talking about a coach not reporting a rape accusation...This goes beyond NCAA violations. I wouldn't want someone like that leading 18-22 year olds. By not reporting them he effectively covered them up.....let's look at our priorities a bit here

• Upvote 2

We are talking about a coach not reporting a rape accusation...This goes beyond NCAA violations. I wouldn't want someone like that leading 18-22 year olds. By not reporting them he effectively covered them up.....let's look at our priorities a bit here

You absolutely stop at nothing to defend the process that BF has in place and all they are doing. Interesting.

You absolutely stop at nothing to defend the process that BF has in place and all they are doing. Interesting.

There is more than one issue that is being discussed here. One is the overall process; the second is whether or not Pflugrad should be considered for the position. One can question the overall process and agree that Pflugrad should not be considered.

So one would also think a call was made to Caruso, who has not applied. And possibly Wristen.

Wristen is definitely someone I want Faison to be in contact with. I was pumped to hear EMU went in a different direction after he was rumored to be a favorite. You want a program builder? He literally built a program from nothing. In 6 seasons since re-starting football he's gone 4-6, 7-4, 9-2, 11-1, 12-1, and 11-1. They've gone undefeated in their conference each of the last three seasons. Wristen is a guy I want very badly.

Wristen is definitely someone I want Faison to be in contact with. I was pumped to hear EMU went in a different direction after he was rumored to be a favorite. You want a program builder? He literally built a program from nothing. In 6 seasons since re-starting football he's gone 4-6, 7-4, 9-2, 11-1, 12-1, and 11-1. They've gone undefeated in their conference each of the last three seasons. Wristen is a guy I want very badly.

I would agree, would be a great hire

You're changing the subject. Of course Faison can pass on Pflugrad for these reasons. I'm talking about the process.

You're changing the subject. Of course Faison can pass on Pflugrad for these reasons. I'm talking about the process.

HR has certain things that automatically disqualify an applicant for a job. I am not sure if that's what happened to Pflu or if Faison put the stop to it, but if he was automatically knocked out by HR because of the Montana thing I would have no problem.

I work in hiring for a worldwide company of more than 250,000 employees and work with HR on hiring on a weekly basis and it is the same way. I have say for a lot of stuff, but there are still guidelines. It is my job to get the candidate I want, if a person fails the background check or doesn't meet minimum requirements than there is nothing even I can do.

I am not saying it is right or wrong on the HR process, just that it is normal for HR to be involved, often times more so than I like.

• Upvote 1

Former Griz running back Beau Donaldson sentenced to 10 years for rape.

http://missoulian.co...1a4bcf887a.html

4 Montana football players accused of a gang rape potentially having drugged the woman; Pflugrad knows and doesn't tell his supervisors.

http://missoulian.co...1a4bcf887a.html

"But in January, UM President Royce Engstrom wrote in a draft of planned public remarks that then-Grizzlies football coach

Robin Pflugrad had disciplined some football players accused of raping a woman, but did not report the incident to his supervisors."

Quarterback Jordan Johnson acquitted of rape.

So during Plugrad's tenure at Montana one football player was convicted of rape; one was acquitted and four were accused but not charged.

However, when you take into consideration that the DOJ investigation found that the U of Montana police dealt with investigations of sexual assault so poorly that they rose to the level of a civil rights violation the fact that one player was acquitted and four weren't charged is pretty meaningless. The handling of the allegations were not conducted in a manner in which convictions could reasonably happen.

http://www.justice.g...find_5-9-13.pdf

But you know, Pflugrad is exactly who we should be bringing in as a coach at UND. An AD would have to be crazy to take that chance.

Just a few points for clarification on all this.

First thing to keep in mind is all of these players involved in the sexual assaults were recruited by Hauck and all these incidents except the Johnson incident happened early in Pflu's first year.

1) Donaldson was arrested and currently in prison.

2) The 4 football players accused in the gang rape were never charged, according to DOJ blaming poor handling by the UM OPS and the police department. Pflugrad is named in the investigation for not reporting it in a timely manner...which seems unusual because the victim reported it to police immediately and they were on campus investigating the next day and interviewing the players. The players were disciplined even though they were never charged, and that effectively became the end of it. He may have made an error in judgement by not contacting Engstrom immediately, but it's not like it was being covered up, everybody knew what was going on. Had they been arrested the situation would have been completely different, at that point it was an investigation with nobody arrested.

His quote after the incident:

“With the information I had at that particular moment in time – I did the right thing with the information I had,” he said. “And that was told to me by the Missoula Police Department. I was told I did an admirable job not only with my discussion with all those players, but my disciplinary process.”

3) Johnson incident which has been discussed.

In the end the two things that are are linked to Pflugrad are failing to report the mother of another player paying to bail two players out of jail which she was reimbursed for from one of the players grandfathers, and not immediately reporting the rape allegation which was already being investigated by Missoula police on-campus and which he had already disciplined the players for even though they were never charged.

I realize there are some concerns about these incidents and sexual assault had become an issue both on and off campus at UM (something like 50 rapes in 4 years according to police records), but implying Pflugrad was in any way responsible or tried to cover up anything done by the football team is laughable.

An HR department's job is the vetting process of candidates. If they know of one that just won't pass that process they won't pass the name along to save the committee's time reviewing someone who can not get the position. I've seen that when I've hired people.

Me: "I know X applied. Why aren't they in this stack?"

HR: "Uh, we know about this urine test result ... "

Me: "<curseword>"

An HR department's job is the vetting process of candidates. If they know of one that just won't pass that process they won't pass the name along to save the committee's time reviewing someone who can not get the position. I've seen that when I've hired people.

Me: "I know X applied. Why aren't they in this stack?"

HR: "Uh, we know about this urine test result ... "

Me: "<curseword>"

Haha ya that's the worst kind of surprise. Especially when the person was otherwise all on your list