SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Including no other school IN the state. Taylor seems that he is going to do it how he wants, no matter the "policy". Also seems Faison isn't capable of that. Ugghhh

His way around the policy is to hire one of the coordinators. Promoting from within is much easier. If he can't get that done than he will probably have to follow the policy and they have a longer listing period than UND.

Has it ever been brought up before as an issue for the athletic department? If not, who would have thought about changing it? The only other time I remember it being mentioned as an issue was when the President was hired. Obviously it is a much worse policy when it affects the hiring of a football coach, at least in the eyes of many.

Maybe this will be the impetus behind getting it changed. One can only hope. It just shouldn't take 30-plus days to hire a coach.

Maybe this will be the impetus behind getting it changed. One can only hope. It just shouldn't take 30-plus days to hire a coach.

Maybe it will. I just find it interesting that other coaching positions, and plenty of other important positions, must have been filled using this process yet no one got upset until it affects the football coach.

Maybe it will. I just find it interesting that other coaching positions, and plenty of other important positions, must have been filled using this process yet no one got upset until it affects the football coach.

As you know, football is unique due to the typical timing of a job opening coinciding with key recruiting season. Regardless, I can't think of a good reason a school would hamstring itself compared to its peers.

I guess when I'm watching NDSU on it's way to another semifinal game and see how far this FB program has sunk to and the fact other than hockey it's a huge revenue (potential) generator for the AD and now in the eyes of way too many this process is just another ring added to the circus known as UND FB and...

You need me to continue?

And BTW not every position at UND carries the same weight. Right or wrong the FB coach is a big deal.

Anyone have an idea of who is on this "search committee" that is doing the screening & conducting finalist interviews?

A mix of UND Football alums, UND Admin & HR types??? Please don't let it all be Admin & HR

If I remember correctly, after Glas left the committee consisted of Buning, the senior women's administrator (assistant a.d.) and Roebuck.

For the Bubba supporters out there, help this season ticket holder (and I think many others) understand why I should be excited about a Bubba hire. All I see is a slightly older Chris Mussman. An excellent coordinator with a .500 record as a head coach and not real smooth in front of a microphone, when I hear him I do not think "that is a leader of men".

And I dont want to hear anything about he "bleeds UND" Mussman did too and so did most of his staff.

I am open minded.......sell me.

I just don't see Bubba as the guy - we need someone proven at the DI level. His record with Lennon has been mediocre and I'm afraid that's what we would get here - not the disaster that was Muss, but not top level either.

I guess when I'm watching NDSU on it's way to another semifinal game and see how far this FB program has sunk to and the fact other than hockey it's a huge revenue (potential) generator for the AD and now in the eyes of way too many this process is just another ring added to the circus known as UND FB and...

You need me to continue?

And BTW not every position at UND carries the same weight. Right or wrong the FB coach is a big deal.

Too many people worry about what is happening in Fargo versus doing what is best for UND, and worry too much about what other people think. What is important is the final result of the search and whether they find a good coach.

For the Bubba supporters out there, help this season ticket holder (and I think many others) understand why I should be excited about a Bubba hire. All I see is a slightly older Chris Mussman. An excellent coordinator with a .500 record as a head coach and not real smooth in front of a microphone, when I hear him I do not think "that is a leader of men".

And I dont want to hear anything about he "bleeds UND" Mussman did too and so did most of his staff.

I am open minded.......sell me.

Although Bubba would be a solid hire, he definitely wouldn't be a sure thing or exceptional hire. He would have to prove he can lead a team as a head coach. When at UM-Duluth, he only had a .500 record. Saying his recruits went on to have success is just extreme sugarcoating. I'm not convinced because he has a mediocre head coaching record and a passive personality. He would need to prove himself in my opinion, and I'm not comfortable with taking that chance in terms of this hire.

Bob Babich resigned on Feb 4, 2002. Craig Bohl was hired Feb 28, 2002. Rich Glas resigned April 25, 2006 and Brian Jones was hired May 25, 2006. That is the most recent high profile coaching hires in the state that went national that I can think of. 24 days and 30 days.

Right now we are at 26 days. My guess is that the policy has gotten more cumbersome in the past decade with legal getting more involved to protect the University and state interests.

Although Bubba would be a solid hire, he definitely wouldn't be a sure thing or exceptional hire. He would have to prove he can lead a team as a head coach. When at UM-Duluth, he only had a .500 record. Saying his recruits went on to have success is just extreme sugarcoating. I'm not convinced because he has a mediocre head coaching record and a passive personality. He would need to prove himself in my opinion, and I'm not comfortable with taking that chance in terms of this hire.

I'm not 100% sold on bubba abut his recruits did go on to have success. It's not sugar coating, it's based in results.

Not to be sexist but what do these women have as qualifications for knowing what a football coach needs to have to be qualified?

I don't know anything about what they know about hiring a football coach, but at minimum it is probably a fair and legit question.

I would ask Brian Faison as he put it together himself. I will say having Baukol and Smith on it is a good thing.

Not to be sexist but what do these women have as qualifications for knowing what a football coach needs to have to be qualified?

Hiring a coach is more than just X's and O's. They have to cover things like academics, compliance, ability to work with other sports, dealing with the public, etc. Faison and Bruce Smith can cover the football stuff.

Hiring a coach is more than just X's and O's. They have to cover things like academics, compliance, ability to work with other sports, dealing with the public, etc.

Would that include background checks, previous criminal record checks, valid driver's license checks....little, petty, detailed stuff like that too?

And at Alabama but it is what it is...called reality.

And Saban just signed an extention on a contract that already paid him $5.6M per.

But in a duckies and bunnies world of some the chair of the department of Southern Culture is a bigger deal than a FB coach.

Not saying that's fair but...

Hey guys, long time follower, first time poster here. I really would like to see Pflugrad be the next head coach at UND. While people are talking about background checks, I am wondering if he was ever legally tied to any of the problems that happened in Montana? I know the QB was acquitted, but would any of that somehow show up on Pflugrads formal background check, and hinder his chances in the HR screening process?