SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL expanding to Seattle in 2014?

MafiaMan

29 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Seattle’s AHL team is going to be in Palm Springs in a new 10k seat arena. It was between Palm Springs and Boise for the location of their AHL team.

Sorta surprised. Boise already has an established ECHL team and would be a star attraction during the winter.  I guess it is hard to say no to a new, shiny area. 

3 hours ago, northernraider said:

Sorta surprised. Boise already has an established ECHL team and would be a star attraction during the winter.  I guess it is hard to say no to a new, shiny area. 

Not really.

It's January; you've suffered an injury and have to bring in a goalie. 

Would rather have them rushing to Seattle from Palm Springs or Boise? 

On 7/26/2019 at 8:35 PM, SiouxVolley said:

The Islanders seem to have gotten all the necessary Ok’s from New York State to proceed building next to Belmont Park.  The arena will be a Long Island RR stop and next to an expressway.

Here are renderings:  https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/photos-belmont-arena-renderings/c-294225596

So you are telling me the Islanders fuinally realized that having seats with THIS view is unacceptable and justified moving to a new arena?!!! :D

il.jpg

On 7/30/2019 at 8:18 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

So you are telling me the Islanders fuinally realized that having seats with THIS view is unacceptable and justified moving to a new arena?!!! :D

il.jpg

Similar to the first few years of the Phoenix Coyotes...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

From Stub hub, the teams with the highest ticket demands:  Guess Vegas has so many hockey visitors, but maybe that’s true also for Nashville.  The Blues have moved up after last year.

upload_2019-9-28_3-18-40-png.258241

My how things have changed in Nashville. Lived there during the early years and they couldn't give away tickets on some nights. Upper bowl tickets went for $15 on game day. Most people where there for the novelty factor and wanting to see fights. When the Red Wings played, there were tons of red and white.  Now, cheap tickets are a thing of the past and arena is rocking every night. 

2 hours ago, northernraider said:

My how things have changed in Nashville. Lived there during the early years and they couldn't give away tickets on some nights. Upper bowl tickets went for $15 on game day. Most people where there for the novelty factor and wanting to see fights. When the Red Wings played, there were tons of red and white.  Now, cheap tickets are a thing of the past and arena is rocking every night. 

Nashville also has been at a high pace of growth, attracting fans by its culture and entertainment, no state sale tax and moderate weather.  Perhaps this is proof that with the demand the Predators want college hockey nearby with a new rink in Clarksville and Austin Peay.

One other city that should look into college hockey is Tampa, but the local schools are limited:  DII Tampa and Florida Southern and G5 USF.  Presume that Lindenwood will take the DI plunge with the Blues practice facility.

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Winnipeg Jets nine year sellout streak comes to an end, in part due to bad weather.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/jets-fans-still-fueled-by-passion-not-fooled-by-prices

Jets prices were super reasonable when I looked my senior year of college a couple years back. I was able to get 2 seats vs the Wild in Winnipeg for $85 USD total. 

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

The price for tickets to any of the 4 major sports is absolutely gross.  Good luck taking your family to a game (for most people)...

There is an interview that the Florida Panthers now want a downtown stadium in either Miami or Fort Lauderdale for the team to play.  The American Airlines Arena in Miami does not have a hockey layout.  The Panthers have five years remaining on their lease in Sunrise, which is far away from many possible fans.  Maybe this is the start of them getting ready to move.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

An article on why Houston deserves an NHL team.

https://bigjolly.com/houston-deserves-a-national-hockey-league-team/

Really going to the bottom of the barrel to find this opinion piece.

For reference, the author's previous article is about fighting in the NFL but randomly ends with this gem:

"The NFL has a much, much bigger problem than players fighting, and that’s the disrespect for flag and country by players that was started by a disgraceful Colin Kaepernick. Instead of fining players for fighting, the NFL should kick out any player who refuses to stand for the national anthem. President Trump would love for people to hear NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell shout: “Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!”