SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

GeauxSioux

And yet CFO Marnocha refuses to say what the benefit is. If it's $1000 below $2 mill he can say its false and he wouldn't be lying.

Football at St Cloud, Mankato, and Duluth (in spite of the recent success at Kato and Duluth) will always be loss leaders. Financially, they can't afford to play football with scholarships. Mankato resents being left behind St Cloud and Duluth in hockey, and wants to regain an edge. Omaha folded two programs that were huge loss leaders (wrestling and football) to concentrate on those that could make money (hockey and basketball).

You can conveniently disregard what he said, but the reality is that the rumor is that the money was coming from BTN. BTN money is split evenly between the member schools. To say they would bend those rules for hockey seems pretty silly.

As for football at those schools, I'm pretty confident you haven't seen the financials of Mankato. From everything I understand from speaking with the admin, MSU has an athletic department that breaks even because of football, basketball and hockey. We're in a conference that limits the number of scholarships to hold down costs and don't travel long distances to games. As for "resenting" St Cloud and Duluth, that is far overstated from a fans perspective. Were people happy about what happened? Of course not, but saying that Kato "resents" them is a reach at best.

And again, MSU just did a viability study of going to D1. It was a resounding theme that it wouldn't and shouldn't happen in the near future. Maybe in 10 years, but that's even a stretch. The situations in SCSU and Duluth are not much different either.

And again, MSU just did a viability study of going to D1. It was a resounding theme that it wouldn't and shouldn't happen in the near future. Maybe in 10 years, but that's even a stretch. The situations in SCSU and Duluth are not much different either.

So Mankato did a DI study just recently? Sounds like at least someone there desires DI enough to have brought about a study. There wouldn't be a study unless there was at least on open Summit League offer.

Considering the struggles of Alaska-Anchorage, Alabama-Huntsville, Michigan Tech, and Lake Superior State lately, I'd be stunned if one or more schools don't CONTRACT hockey as opposed to additional schools adding it as a sport.

Considering the struggles of Alaska-Anchorage, Alabama-Huntsville, Michigan Tech, and Lake Superior State lately, I'd be stunned if one or more schools don't CONTRACT hockey as opposed to additional teams adding it as a sport.

Agreed...the formation of the Pig10 and NCHC will be the death knell of the sport for some of the smaller schools IMHO.

• 1 month later...

They've been making BC's stuff for at least a few years now:

L11121105D1-c.jpg

Does Under Armor make anything other than jerseys for Boston College, that would be a no. Until Under Armor starts making gloves, shoulder pads, shin pads, sticks, etc. I don't see the CEO of Under Armor funding Maryland to start a hockey team.

Does Under Armor make anything other than jerseys for Boston College, that would be a no. Until Under Armor starts making gloves, shoulder pads, shin pads, sticks, etc. I don't see the CEO of Under Armor funding Maryland to start a hockey team.

They don't make football pads or helmets. They only make shoes unis/compression gear and gloves for football.

They don't make football pads or helmets. They only make shoes unis/compression gear and gloves for football.

True, but the guy played football for Maryland. I'm not against Maryland starting a hockey program, I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

With the Pinnacle Back Arena Nebraska, to me, looks to be the closest B1G school to add hockey.