SiouxSports.com Forum

Star Diaper Article on North Dakota

MafiaMan

Meh! Who cares, I find these articles funny, some times, this guy has done these types of articles before if I am not mistaken. There's this attitude that people from the "Metro" are some how better than the unwashed rubes out west. It would be funny if this clown actually came out west and went into a bar and acted like this. For some stupid reason these clowns sure seem to find their way westward come duck hunting season and screw up the hunting and cause all of the best hunting land to get posted up tighter than a drum.

Edited by Goon

I generally don't bother reading this guy's drivel, but when I saw it was about North Dakota, I caved. Sure enough, more drivel. His column is an absolute waste of space; all he does is complain about how this sucks and that sucks. He should become a movie critic. :p

Almost as bad as anything CJ "writes".

Apparently, James missed the recent Strib article about how North Dakota is wooing Minnesota businesses with lower taxes, incentives, etc. which are the trip for the billboards.

Almost as bad as anything CJ "writes".

Apparently, James missed the recent Strib article about how North Dakota is wooing Minnesota businesses with lower taxes, incentives, etc. which are the trip for the billboards.

I don't read the Red Star and Sickle very much who is C.J. ?

Meh! Who cares, I find these articles funny, some times, this guy has done these types of articles before if I am not mistaken. There's this attitude that people from the "Metro" are some how better than the unwashed rubes out west. It would be funny if this clown actually came out west and went into a bar and acted like this. For some stupid reason these clowns sure seem to find their way westward come duck hunting season and screw up the hunting and cause all of the best hunting land to get posted up tighter than a drum.

Well, I live in Colorado. So, to me, a waste of vacation time is going to Minnesota.

Next week, I will be in North Dakota. I like my small town. I get a good weeks rest visiting my family and relaxing. It's quiet and quaint. If not for family, I probably wouldn't visit North Dakota. But, I never go to Minnesota. What do they have that would interest me?

Well, I live in Colorado. So, to me, a waste of vacation time is going to Minnesota.

Next week, I will be in North Dakota. I like my small town. I get a good weeks rest visiting my family and relaxing. It's quiet and quaint. If not for family, I probably wouldn't visit North Dakota. But, I never go to Minnesota. What do they have that would interest me?

Why, the most famous mall in the universe, of course! :lol:

That's the reason I decided to live in ND as well. I love the small town experience. :)

Glen Ullin? Killdeer? Larimore? Linton?

Is this story a hoax.. If it isn't, it must be written by a grade school kid. It certainly can't be written by a mature adult. He should be very proud of himself. There has to be more to this story for him to have that amount of bitterness against North Dakota.

Is this story a hoax.. If it isn't, it must be written by a grade school kid. It certainly can't be written by a mature adult. He should be very proud of himself. There has to be more to this story for him to have that amount of bitterness against North Dakota.

It most certainly is NOT a hoax...I even kept the print version of it from today's Minneapolis Star & Sickle, er, Star Tribune.

Grenora? Crosby? Newburg? Oakes?

Rhame? Golva? Elgin? Reeder? Watford City?

My family is from Crosby. But, that's not it. :lol:

My point was that, like Goon said, it's the small town experience. You can get that in Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Dakota, etc. But to prop up Minnesota to be some kind of cool epicenter of the universe is just a part of their illusory superiority complex. From their perspective, people in New York City think MPL-STP is full of backwoods hicks. Even I make fun of some things about North Dakota - it's got its quirks. But, it's a great place to grow up and live. Just like many places in the USA.

Heck, Colorado obviously has weirdness too...The whole legalization of marijuana in this state has made it a joke in the nation. Fort Collins in a few short years has went from allowing the sale of medical marijuana, to disallowing it, to allowing it. Now, they have to decide if the medical marijuana shops can sell to anyone, not just those with $100 bucks to pay some doctor to rubber stamp a pot prescription.

(Okay, here's the way it works. Pot is legal by state law, not by federal law. The feds will probably leave Colorado and Washington alone as long as it doesn't get out of control. You can possess a small amount, grow a small amount throughout the state. Growing it has to be under lock and key inside the home, not out in a garden for example. Throughout the state, you can smoke it in your home,or other peoples homes, but not in public. Home rule will decide if "pot shops" will sell retail...in other words Boulder will probably allow retail sale with a hefty sales tax, but Greeley will probably not. Colorado residents can buy larger amounts, about an ounce, than non residents who are restricted to about 1/4 of an ounce.

Now, if that isn't mind-blowing, I do not know what is! And, no...I do not smoke pot.)

Wildfires in the mountains of the front range cause smoke and ash to float over Fort Collins for good chunks of the summer. We have weird water laws, dry lawns, and empty lakes due to the drought, Heavy traffic and overcrowding in a state that since 1990 has went from under 3 million people to well over five million.

We also have beautiful mountain scenery, great brew pubs all over the place, tons of summer and winter activities, sun about 300 days a year, and a fairly moderate climate. Just like anyplace, there is the bad with the good.

The division isn't ND vs MN it truly is rural vs urban. The conflict between urban values and mindset and rural values and mindset is manifest everywhere- from this article, to the presidential election and politics in general.

Ding ding ding...we have a winner!!

The division isn't ND vs MN it truly is rural vs urban. The conflict between urban values and mindset and rural values and mindset is manifest everywhere- from this article, to the presidential election and politics in general.

When you look at the voting records of small town northern Minnesota, I would beg to differ...

There really is no difference between the two.

When you look at the voting records of small town northern Minnesota, I would beg to differ...

Ely and the like are in their own little world and are the exception. Every been up there?? Different group of people!

The range and the like is not where the current big divide is...they've been Blue Dog since before the term was popular. For generations republicans and democrats disagreed only on a few issues. The chasm that exists now is truly about urban collectivism vs rural individualism