SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Quality Goalies

Fetch

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one thought Phil Lamoureax would work his way to the NHL at some point in time during his career. Talk about a hard working goaltender. Still is playing in the Austrian League. Almost had a chance with the Sabres, but at this point in time its looking like an overseas career for him.

Can't say that right now I see an NHL future for either Gothberg or Saunders. But I say this as I'm typing on a computer sitting in my living room as my two year old screams because he's ticked off that its bed time.

I for one thought Phil Lamoureax would work his way to the NHL at some point in time during his career. Talk about a hard working goaltender. Still is playing in the Austrian League. Almost had a chance with the Sabres, but at this point in time its looking like an overseas career for him.

Can't say that right now I see an NHL future for either Gothberg or Saunders. But I say this as I'm typing on a computer sitting in my living room as my two year old screams because he's ticked off that its bed time.

Yeah. And I'm reading this as I'm ticked off because it's the off season and we don't have really much to talk about.

But I say this as I'm typing on a computer sitting in my living room as my two year old screams because he's ticked off that its bed time.

Boo hoo son! Daddy's on SiouxSports.com right now...someday you'll understand!

We sure have not had many

Especially Stanley Cup Quality

Who have we had besides Casey & of course Eddie

Michigan's had Marty Turco...Michigan State's had Ryan Miller...Minnesota's had Robb Stauber (an NHL bust, mind you)...seems to me that UND is one or two up on most colleges not named Wisconsin when it comes to goalies.

I think it shows a couple of things. First of all how tough it is to play at an NHL capable level at the goaltender position. Secondly, how blessed we have been to watch NHL capable players play in front of us over the years (Toews, Oshie, Parise, Zajac).

Of all the starting NHL goaltenders in the playoffs right now, how many played college hockey? Off the top of my head, you've got Howard from Maine, Elliott from Bucky, Quick from Umass. Who am I missing?

Seems like the best goaltenders in the world come from Canada or come from overseas, and typically they play their junior hockey up in Canada. And then the best ones from the United States like Campbell or Gibson head up to Canada nowadays.

Michigan's had Marty Turco...Michigan State's had Ryan Miller...Minnesota's had Robb Stauber (an NHL bust, mind you)...seems to me that UND is one or two up on most colleges not named Wisconsin when it comes to goalies.

Don't forget that Darren Jensen played quite a bit in the NHL as well. As you say, Wisconsin has been unreal in getting goalies in the NHL. Since there are so few positions available, I would bet a lot of teams haven't placed many goalies in the NHL. Would be interesting to see the stats on how many drafted goalies make it to the NHL, and how that translates from higher picks to lower picks.

Don't forget that Darren Jensen played quite a bit in the NHL as well. As you say, Wisconsin has been unreal in getting goalies in the NHL.

30 games of NHL experience with the Flyers...well-played. Totally forgot about him.

Actually thought he would have played more games than that because of the death of Pelle Lindbergh.

29 of those 30 were in the 1985-1986 season...I'm assuming most, if not all of them, after Pelle's death in November of 1985.