SiouxSports.com Forum

Old arena

WPoS

Since you guys have such a nice new arena, the question begs, do you miss your old barn?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Since you guys have such a nice new arena, the question begs, do you miss your old barn?

• Nope, the New Ralph is perfect!
    • Sometimes, the old barn had some good memories!
    • Yes, nostalgia baby!
    • Who cares, as long as UND is playing!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The plexiglass partition in the penalty box was the result of legendary Sioux tough guy Dean Dachyshyn who fought a Wisconsin player when they were both in the box. The fights that occurred were legendary at the old Ralph. The best part of it was that a fighting penalty usually only drew a double minor back in the 80's. I remember Dan Brennan fighting the same guy three times in a game once.

Favorite Old Ralph Memory-- The final Gopher game in the arena with a greatest bon fire in the history of hockey... A couch went up!!! It was cold as anything but people who you didnt know would be quick to offer up some libations to warm you up. There seemed to be a great fell of camraderie that was done away with at the new ralph.

From what I have heard the arena atmosphere has improved but it will take a national championship or 4 to regain the fervor and anger of the old arena. That building was loud and angry and teams trully feared playing there. REA is a great recruiting tool and it is a great hockey building but it is still a blank slate. The tradition of Fighting Sioux Hockey is still there but a new house doesnt become a home for a little while. It takes time but it will happen.... but yes I do miss the old arena, It will always have a soft spot in my heart.

You forgot the two best things!

1. The drunk guy without a shirt dancing on the heating vent. That was classic. :glare:

2. And of course, smoking those dirty rodents out of their locker room.

Poor 01Grad. I can still see him clutching to the one couch coshin, watching in fear as the couch went up in flames.

What was must impressive wasn't the little dead Gophers sliding across the ice trailing blood - it was this guy that smuggled a dead badger into the old Ralph ina tuba case and managed to get it over the boards and on the ice after a Sioux goal. That thing must have weighed about 40 pounds - it was huge! I think he got expelled from the university for doing it but damn looking back - it was worth it!

One of my first experiences watching Sioux hockey in person was this very UND-Wisconsin game (unless badgers were thrown on the ice on more than one occasion). I was 6 or 7 years old and in the same game, a badger was pitched over my head onto the ice (and the fan removed by security), an older man was absolutely creamed in the head with a stray puck in the first period about 7 or 8 rows above me and CAME BACK TO HIS SEAT for the third with a huge bandage, a massive fight broke out... oh yeah, and the Sioux rallied to win in the last 3 minutes of the game, followed by everyone throwing their plastic cups onto the ice. It was one of the most glorious experiences of my childhood.

Remember in '87 how the fans would throw their cups on the ice after every win? There were hundreds and hundreds of those things on the ice. I also miss the taunting cheer when an opposing player was sent to the penalty box. Everyone would make these alligator chomping motions with their extended arms as the trombone and tuba section played the Jaws theme. Not sure what the reference was... maybe that UND was about to go on a feeding frenzy or something... but it was fun to do as a kid.

One of my first experiences watching Sioux hockey in person was this very UND-Wisconsin game (unless badgers were thrown on the ice on more than one occasion). I was 6 or 7 years old and in the same game, a badger was pitched over my head onto the ice (and the fan removed by security), an older man was absolutely creamed in the head with a stray puck in the first period about 7 or 8 rows above me and CAME BACK TO HIS SEAT for the third with a huge bandage, a massive fight broke out... oh yeah, and the Sioux rallied to win in the last 3 minutes of the game, followed by everyone throwing their plastic cups onto the ice. It was one of the most glorious experiences of my childhood.

Remember in '87 how the fans would throw their cups on the ice after every win? There were hundreds and hundreds of those things on the ice. I also miss the taunting cheer when an opposing player was sent to the penalty box. Everyone would make these alligator chomping motions with their extended arms as the trombone and tuba section played the Jaws theme. Not sure what the reference was... maybe that UND was about to go on a feeding frenzy or something... but it was fun to do as a kid.

Oh my gosh I remember those white plastic cups with the green writing on them that everyone would throw on the ice - I bet my parents still have one of those serving some perpose around the house!

what a great thread this has become!

The REA needs to legalize Gopher and Badger chucking again.....

The ASPCA would have a stroke.... PETA would protest... The Grand Forks Herald would cry foul... But it would be worth it!!!

Before one specific Gopher game I was with a group of guys calling pet stores looking for Gophers... For some reason they didnt want to sell us any rodents... would couldnt understand why. :glare:

The ASPCA would have a stroke.... PETA would protest... The Grand Forks Herald would cry foul... But it would be worth it!!!

Before one specific Gopher game I was with a group of guys calling pet stores looking for Gophers... For some reason they didnt want to sell us any rodents... would couldnt understand why. :glare:

I believe the practice for those that brought them to throw was - shoot them in the fall....freeze them in the winter and bring them into the arena in an old plastic bread bag under then arm in a large coat. Worked everytime I was told.

Years ago, back whens most of youse guys and girls were probably just little kids, or gleams in your pappy's eyes, I was at the old Ralph. Late 70's. Lousy Rube Bjorkman-coached teams, but still entertaining WCHA hockey.

I believe that we were playing Denver. Goalie was getting toasted. Someone threw a live chicken onto the ice, near the goaltender. Hilarious.

Couldn't tell which one was more afraid. The Pioneer goalie, or the chicken, as they both stood there trying to get comfortable before a mocking crowd.

Great stuff.

To make a long story even longer, I am of the opinion that this comeback - and so many others like it over the past quarter of a century - would never have happened at the soon-to-be completed Engelstad Arena. An arena that big sterilizes the emotional aspect of hockey. An arena that big is nothing more than a cavern with ice. An arena that big will be next-to-impossible for a town of 55,000 to fill, let alone energize.

Sure...there's NOTHING but a cavern and ice....

It really hasn't had a struggle to fill it....Sure it will be harder to make the noise that you could in the Old Ralph, but suffice it to say that I'd rather have 11K-strong in the new building than 6K in the old one.

I think a lot of people loved the Old Ralph, myself included. However, I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I appreciate very much the opportunity to attend a hockey game at the finest college hockey facility in the nation.

It seems to me that some of those people that "Old Ralph" proponents are also the first to bark at the New Ralph for playing the wrong music or running out of sour cream for the Taco in a Bag... :glare: Hope you're not the same...

I wonder how long it took the fans to "take" to the Old REA when it was built...

I definitely appreciate the better opportunity to land tickets (anyway possible) to get up for a weekend every year. I love that it's a great asset to keep our team strong.

I hope the atmosphere can be something that opposing players love to hate.

Niketown,

I agree that far too many people are much too eager to complain about everything.

Don't get me wrong; I, for the most part, am very proud of the new arena itself. And I'll admit, I never thought it would be near-capacity night in, night out. Although, god forbid we have some lean years like the end of the Gino era...then it might be a different story.

As many have pointed out, the atmosphere and home-ice advantage is steadily improving. I don't think the fans are any less enthusiastic. It's just that the logistics of a building that size don't allow for the same noise level as the old building.

But it certainly feels much more like our home rink than it did two years ago.

Anyone know if the Old ralph is still functioning?

Just think if the Sioux had an exhibition game there in the near future. Just for the fans...no corporate tickets sold. 1/2 the arena to students the other half goes to season ticket holders from the old ralph and those who would be lucky enough to get the last remaining tickets.

That game would be crazy fun :glare:

March 15, 1998, UND versus the hated Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Not to get too picky, but I believe that game was actually on February 15th, 1998. At least that's what I have written down on my tape of the game :glare: That game is the single best time I've ever had at a sporting event. I was sitting on the glass in the student section to the right of the box (even have a few pictures that were taken from the other side of the arena, possibly by PCM?). I have never been anywhere as loud as it was when Jason Blake scored the goal to tie it up.

As far as new arena vs old, I don't think the new arena will ever be able to match the crazy intensity of the old arena. No more standing, subdued swearing, lower % of students, and the division of the student sections have eliminated that possibility. However, I was there for the playoff series vs DU last year, and it was proven that the New Ralph can be loud and fun. Good times either way.

Are you serious about the hat thing?

I don't neccessarily think students have to be able to stand the whole game for there to be a great atmsphere. I do think that the students need to feel welcome and appreciated though. Right now the percieved attitude is neutral to disdain for students. When REA stops listening to the 1% of whiners, things will get better. But if they keep pulling the crap that they did for the Gopher series, the students will remain ticked off and feel like they aren't wanted.

Are you serious about the hat thing?

I don't neccessarily think students have to be able to stand the whole game for there to be a great atmsphere. I do think that the students need to feel welcome and appreciated though. Right now the percieved attitude is neutral to disdain for students. When REA stops listening to the 1% of whiners, things will get better. But if they keep pulling the crap that they did for the Gopher series, the students will remain ticked off and feel like they aren't wanted.

Well Scott made the warning about getting a penalty after the hats were thrown. It is my understanding that the warning can only be given by the ref.

I still remember the time we received a little card going into the student section and I thought it was another complaint. What a good psych job. :glare:

Well Scott made the warning about getting a penalty after the hats were thrown. It is my understanding that the warning can only be given by the ref.

Actually, I think that's a standard warning. The rule says that fans can't throw anything on the ice. It makes no exception for hat tricks, which is pretty silly.

Oh the memories...

I was hooked on Sioux hockey that February weekend. Being in junior high and amongst all the college students for maybe the first time I was emersed. Yelling Screaming...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember in that fateful Saturday game that, not only did I get my first Sioux hockey jersey, when the sioux went ahead and the Goofs pulled the goalie... didn't Dave Spehar knock the net off on purpose to prevent an ENG? ...which we got later anyway

SPEHAR...SPEHAR...SPEHAR...BULLSH... :lol:

..."Mom, what are they saying, I can't make it out"...

"DON'T CHEER ALONG WITH!!"

I couldn't hear myself think, but the force of the cheers was pressing on me like the sky was falling. From that moment on, I learned the game, I followed the game/players/teams, I loved the game.

You guys, this is probably the most fun you can have on a thread... I'd love to do this by a campfire sharing refreshments outside the old girl. :glare:

I was sitting on the glass in the student section to the right of the box (even have a few pictures that were taken from the other side of the arena, possibly by PCM?).

They weren't taken by me. I didn't starting shooting hockey photos until the 1999-2000 season, which was a pretty darn good season to start. :glare:

My usual kneejerk reaction to some of the discussion here is how ridiculous it is to characterize the first three years of the new Ralph to the last 5 of the old. A lot of the atmosphere in those years was generated by some of the best Fighting Sioux hockey in history. Easy to cheer when the team is winning McNaughton Cups and NCAA titles. A little harder when your team, in an unfamiliar building, drops to 8th place in the WCHA just coming off a year where they played in the NCAA title game. Play the 01-02 season in the old Ralph, especially the dismal series against Mankato-State, and then critique the "atmosphere".

As much as the old Ralph was wonderful, there were plenty of lean times there as well. Many empty seats during lackluster series against teams like Mich Tech or Alabama-Huntsville. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to enjoy one of the best years there as a student and pep band member-- 1986-87. Unforgettable. Yeah, I miss that place.

But, I enjoy the new Ralph even more. Why? Because it is everything a generous old man wanted it to be. The finest facility in the world. Fitting for a program with such a storied tradition. Dropped smack dab in the country's favorite butt of jokes, North Dakota. Too fancy for midwestern folk? Perhaps. A little to "corporate" and disciplined for raucous students? Maybe. But no question this place has magic to it.

My favorite "new Ralph" times are the DU series in 03 WCHA playoffs, Kansas BB, and of course the opening night standing ovation for Ralph on Oct 5, 01. Very special memories for me. Not quite like that come-back game against the Gophers in 98 (I was there, Wow!), but not that far behind either.

My vote is both are wonderful. The Old Ralph was just as plush and sanitized when it opened up in the early '70's as the new Ralph appears today. Let the palace wear for a few years. It's already created a definite home ice advantage. 11K+ fans are a force to be reckoned with, even if a lot of them are munching on Sioux-per dogs and beer. It is drawing top talent away from other programs. It is bringing in the World Juniors. It is p!ssing off the leftist goofballs. It is good.

taz