SiouxSports.com Forum

Old arena

WPoS

Since you guys have such a nice new arena, the question begs, do you miss your old barn?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Since you guys have such a nice new arena, the question begs, do you miss your old barn?

• Nope, the New Ralph is perfect!
    • Sometimes, the old barn had some good memories!
    • Yes, nostalgia baby!
    • Who cares, as long as UND is playing!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And here I thought it was spelled "Minysoda" Thank goodness for WPoS and the fan handbook :glare:

I miss the old arena but only because students had more ownership in the arena and its operations. We owned half the seats in the arena so what we said, went. However, for our athletes, I think the new Ralph has so much to offer them it isn't funny.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Without question my favorite Sioux hockey game that I ever saw. Unbelieveable comeback.

Good thoughts on the new arena, and they certainly held true on the atmosphere end. Overall, though, I think its a good thing for Sioux hockey, Grand Forks, and North Dakota. While we can lament what we've lost at the old place, we should also be elated in what we've gained. :glare:

Wasn't that the game that the LIVE gopher got tossed out on the ice? That was great!!! Too bad I was stuck at home watching it on TV that day.

I must say, there was nothing quite like standing in line for a Gopher-Sioux hockey series or any series for that matter. Students with beer or any alcoholic beverage in hand stretching down the sidewalk all the way to Memorial Stadium. The final push starting ten minutes before the doors opened. (you had better had ticket and id out already, cause there was no reaching your pockets :lol: ) Yes there was just something about that place that gives me goose bumps when I think about those classic games. We will miss The Ralph and her cozy confines. :glare:

But REA is slowly building momentum and offers stuff for everyone. It brings in players we may not have got. It brings events we never would have had. And most importantly, it brings in fans from far reaching areas. (I know Sioux fans who drive up from Sioux Falls, Fergus Falls, and Bismark for every home series, not to mention Sioux Fans living in Fargo)

So we shall imbrace our new home REA and lead it to NC's and loud crowds insane for their beloved team! For it is ours, and nobody can ruin that but us.

I must say, there was nothing quite like standing in line for a Gopher-Sioux hockey series or any series for that matter. Students with beer or any alcoholic beverage in hand stretching down the sidewalk all the way to Memorial Stadium. The final push starting ten minutes before the doors opened. (you had better had ticket and id out already, cause there was no reaching your pockets :lol: ) Yes there was just something about that place that gives me goose bumps when I think about those classic games. We will miss The Ralph and her cozy confines. :glare:

But REA is slowly building momentum and offers stuff for everyone. It brings in players we may not have got. It brings events we never would have had. And most importantly, it brings in fans from far reaching areas. (I know Sioux fans who drive up from Sioux Falls, Fergus Falls, and Bismark for every home series, not to mention Sioux Fans living in Fargo)

So we shall imbrace our new home REA and lead it to NC's and loud crowds insane for their beloved team! For it is ours, and nobody can ruin that but us.

Morley....Myself and a bunch of others I know have season tickets and make the trek up from the cities (fly or drive) for most of the home games. It is a haul and tough when they play back to back weekends but well worth it in my opinion. I would rather have season tickets to Sioux hockey than the Wild or Vikings any day.

Thanks Canuck! That almost brought tears to my eyes. The games at the old ralph were great, but it was time for an update. The atmosphere in the new ralph is getting better and better, and the building is undoubtedly a great recruiting tool.

We are nostalgic about the old Ralph because of all the memories there. The building itself is just materials. When we hang another NCAA banner up in the new Ralph it will start to feel like home. I grew up going to the old Ralph. I remember my Dad used to park by University Park and we would run against the bitter cold up to our seats, and I can remember leaving and pretending to be Troy Murray in my basement the whole next day. I will always love the old Ralph for those memories with my dad, of my childhood, and of the times I was fortunate enough to play there in the state tournament. I'm sure it means just as much to students who had great times supporting their team. Once the new Ralph has been around long enough to have created memories like that for kids and for students it will take on that same level of nostalgia. I agree that the new Ralph doesn't have the same home ice advantage and ferocity as the old one, but it is definitely a nicer facility. It's like moving from your childhood home. It takes a while for any new place to feel that comfortable. Let's break it in with the first of 2 consecutive NCAA titles this year. :glare:

One of my best Sioux memories, of many from the old barn, was as a kid welcoming the 87 Championship team back on the Ice to show us fans the trophy.

What a great team that was.

The barn, rest it's soul, has many of my childhood memories from hockey. I've spent many days/nights there. I've seen hundreds of games there - There was something about the electricy of that place - hopefully the new REA will someday match that - it'll just take time to build that many memories that the old bard holds.

The old Ralph was amazing. I was introduced to hockey and to the greatest college hockey program in the world. Watching some of the greatest hockey players UND has ever had such as: Jeff Panzer, Jason Blake, and who can forget Karl Goehring. Some great moments in the old Ralph.

I can remember getting chills when the fans in the old Ralph would go nuts while playing the Gophers. The hostility that the old Ralph had was amazing. The student section and the diehard loud fans wasn't matched by any other team.

I think it's only a matter of time before the new Ralph has that same hostility. One could argue that it already has that hostility.

If only they had some super-cool electronics, like a lighted display ring or Daktronics video and score boards, to put the lyrics on .... :glare:

And get rid of the advertisements?! *gasp* Blasphemy! I remember the one game that they attempted to put the words to the school songs on the scoreboard, and it didn't go so well. The words came up during the wrong time during the song, and nobody sang along. It's hard to follow along with the band when they're on they upper level anyway. Otherwise I definitely think it would be great if we could get the entire arena singing Fight on Sioux.

The old arena was great. I still think back to the last game played there against the Manitoba Bison, with one of the greatest fights I've seen in college hockey. :lol:

the thing I find odd is this: while you guys miss your old arena, and us Gopher fans miss ours...most of the reasons are the same (except of course for the drubbings we gave UND in the old barn)...to some degree I find it sad that the old places go away. Fans, regardless of affiliation, all seem to appreciate the same things, both past and present. The Ralph I am sure, will generate new feelings soon enuf as GE put it. I know that while I miss the old Williams field house, I have lots of new good memories in the new Mariucci.

WPoS

Funny, my memories of that old place aren't so fond. Although the comeback in the story hurt, the one that haunts me is the Gophers coming in on a 19 game unbeaten string in maybe '95-'96 and just getting smoked.

I think that also happened in 90 or 91. I remember the Gophers being at the top in the standings and the Sioux team somewhere in the lower 1/3 of the pack. Friday night UND blew them out 9-0....then took Sat's game as well. It didn't make much of a difference in the standings ( I think the Gophers had a comfortable margin built up for the conference lead) outside of a little pride for the Sioux fans. I do remember standing in line with my student ID (games were free back then) for about 4 hours...ducking into east hall in shifts to warm up and for a beer (yeah thats right we drank beer in the residence halls in those days) then back in line.

Funny, my memories of that old place aren't so fond. Although the comeback in the story hurt, the one that haunts me is the Gophers coming in on a 19 game unbeaten string in maybe '95-'96 and just getting smoked.

Ha! Actually, that's the first Sioux-Gophers game at the old Ralph I ever attended. I believe we were unranked at the time and UM was #1.

That was also the first time I was introduced to "O-VER-RATED....O-VER-RATED..."

Ahhh, I just got a warm fuzzy....

anyone here remember when rodents were actually thrown on the ice when the sioux would score? ahh what memories :glare:

Yeah I do!

What was must impressive wasn't the little dead Gophers sliding across the ice trailing blood - it was this guy that smuggled a dead badger into the old Ralph ina tuba case and managed to get it over the boards and on the ice after a Sioux goal. That thing must have weighed about 40 pounds - it was huge! I think he got expelled from the university for doing it but damn looking back - it was worth it!

anyone here remember when rodents were actually thrown on the ice when the Sioux would score? ahh what memories :glare:

I love memory lane threads like this.

I went to one game at the old REA - MN v. UND in January (??) of '87. UND wasn't to bad. :huh: I think ya'll completely depleted the North Dakota Gopher population that weekend. It was pretty cool though, one of my distant cousins is married to a (from what I've heard) significant contributor to the UND hockey program. He got us seats for the game and I swear it was Gasperini's personal friend section - Everyone but my buddy & me had on a green sport coat. We then headed over to EGF with the rest of the under 21 crowd and got plastered with a fun group of Sioux fans. :lol:

I love memory lane threads like this.

I went to one game at the old REA - MN v. UND in January (??) of '87. UND wasn't to bad. :huh: I think ya'll completely depleted the North Dakota Gopher population that weekend. It was pretty cool though, one of my distant cousins is married to a (from what I've heard) significant contributor to the UND hockey program. He got us seats for the game and I swear it was Gasperini's personal friend section - Everyone but my buddy & me had on a green sport coat. We then headed over to EGF with the rest of the under 21 crowd and got plastered with a fun group of Sioux fans. :lol:

Wasn't Frenchy's (RIP) the place to be after the game back in the late 80's?

nothing beats the old Jim Archibald fights in the 80s though -

you know that plexiglass partition that was in the old penalty box to divide the players? that was added thanks to Jim and a little squirmish that errupted in the penalty box - now that guy was nuts!

Yes, but I was hardly more than a twinkle in my mother's eye back then. Unfortunately I missed the great teams of the 80s.