SiouxSports.com Forum

For the Love of Hockey

GeauxSioux

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/394604/group/Sports/

Brittany Gefroh, a junior at North Dakota State, often walks through campus wondering if the eyes of passing students are widening or rolling because of what she’s wearing. The 21-year-old journalism and web design student is not taking a religious or political stance with her clothes.

She’s just showing pride for her favorite team, which happens to be the University of North Dakota men’s hockey team.

Gefroh has combined her love of hockey and writing into a blog titled, “For the Love of Hockey,” which she writes about teams in the Dakotas and Minnesota, but she never tip-toes around where her allegiance stands.

“When you watch the Sioux, you’re going to see professional players,” Gefroh said. “I love hockey, and I love the Sioux. It’s that simple. If people can’t accept that, then that’s fine. It’s a passion of mine.”

Brittany's blog... http://loveofhockey.areavoices.com/author/brigefroh/

Good for you. I grew up in North Dakota, and I didn't attend either UND or NDSU. Most of the people that I've met who fit that criteria are UND hockey and NDSU football fans. I went to the University of Minnesota. (If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go to UND.) I feel no guilt rooting for both schools. It's folks from Grand Forks and Fargo who seem to have a dislike for the "other" university. Not so much North Dakotans even--as I've met many people from Fargo who root for UND hockey. It seems to be mostly out of state students or alum who attended one or the other. Those people generally don't realize know how much having championship-level programs like UND hockey and NDSU football means to most North Dakotans.

As my username suggests, I happen to be this NDSU student and UND hockey fan. Thanks for no negative replies on this post (granted, no one has replied). At least Sioux fans are classy unlike the Bison fans at Bisonville.com who want my head.

Lol so you are one of those people I hit with snowballs during the winter months.

As my username suggests, I happen to be this NDSU student and UND hockey fan. Thanks for no negative replies on this post (granted, no one has replied). At least Sioux fans are classy unlike the Bison fans at Bisonville.com who want my head.

My son graduated from NDSU in Dec 2011. He's a huge Sioux hockey fan. Four years at NDSU he refused to be brainwashed into the "Bison football is the only thing" mentality. You keep up the good work!

My son graduated from NDSU in Dec 2011. He's a huge Sioux hockey fan. Four years at NDSU he refused to be brainwashed into the "Bison football is the only thing" mentality. You keep up the good work!

Thanks. And that's good. I love Bison football and was down in Frisco for the championship game this year, but as fun and exciting as Bison football is, Sioux hockey is just as good, if not better. I personally slightly prefer Sioux hockey to Bison football, but I love both and don't care if Bison or Sioux fans and students have a problem with that.

I have degrees from both UND and NDSU. NDSU hates UND more than UND hates NDSU in my opinion. Some of my friends used to bash NDSU football to me and all I'd come back with is, "You realize you're talking to a NDSU alum, right?" Sometimes they just need a reminder. I was born and raised in Minnesota, so I don't have the history of the Sioux/Bison rivalry in me, so it was never a problem for me supporting both schools. I had a good experience at both schools.

I'm from Bismarck, but I didn't have the history of the rivalry either. My parents didn't attend either school, and I grew up not really a fan of either. I was a Kansas Jayhawks fan. The first time I ever really liked either school was when NDSU made the Big Dance a few years ago (ironically, against Kansas). The rivalry just isn't a big deal to me. When we renew the rivalry in football, it'll be a bigger deal, but even then, I'll still cheer for Bison football (sorry, Sioux fans) and Sioux hockey.

I am right there with you. Have been a Bison football fan for some time now and now that my nephew is the backup QB I am even more. But when it comes to my #1 allegiance it is and always will be Fighting Sioux hockey.

• 2 weeks later...

During my senior year, UND hosted Northern Colorado in football. My dad stood up during the game and showed everyone in our section his NDSU sweatshirt. Groan...

I always liked NDSU football, despite some UND fan objections to my opinion.