SiouxSports.com Forum

Will Zach sign with Devils after this season?

A.B.T.G.

Reading in the Pioneer Press today "Shooter" (Charly Walters) reports:

LOOK FOR NORTH DAKOTA SOPHMORE STAR ZACH PARISE THE TOP SCORER IN THE RECENT WORLD JUNIOR HOCKEY CHAMPIONSHIPS IN FINLAND, TO SIGN WITH THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS AFTER HIS COLLEGE SEASON.

Any validity to this?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not familiar with source...is this guy the National Enquirer of sports or what?

Sorry for beating a story to death...just curious. Hoped to watch Zach at UND for at least one more full season.

WPoS is right on this one. The Shooter-Man is just jumping on the World Juniors bandwagon. Walters couldn't throw a strike in the major leagues, and he sure as heck can't throw one in the hockey world, much as I like the guy.

I have it on solid information that Zach will return for BOTH his junior and his senior seasons at North Dakota. :ohmy:

The Maven.

Here's hockeys future take on ZP.

The Devils will be patient with this future star, and will likely let him play at least 2 more seasons at the NCAA level before he turns pro.

This profile was posted in September so anything could change after the WJC performance and how he does the remainder of the season.

Then there is the CBA, etc, etc, etc, already discussed at length. At any rate, the decision is between ZP and the Devils. Shooter hasn't a clue, and yes, no doubt wishful thinking.

Hockey'sfuture profiles NJ's #1 prospect

By the way WPoS, you mentioned, in another thread, JBSU.

Who, or what, is that? I assume the Huskies, but for what does the acronym stand?

JBSU = Jan Brady State University

Something about a reference that U of MN is the "Marsha" and JBSU (SCSU) complains "its always Marsha, Marsha, Marsha"

I believe that is how it goes......anyone please correct me if I am wrong...

Walters may have just been listening to Lou Nanne on KFan. It was Nanne's position that many college players (Vanek and Parise by name) would try to sign immedietely after the season under the old CBA.

I don't see the teams motivation to sign them, but if the team thinks it can get a good price at the time, players will bolt.

In the Parise case, my opinion is that Zach will decide if he has any improvements to refine in the college game. Or if he feels he has anything left to prove.

However, he has established himself as argueably the best amature player in the world at his age. So I don't think if someone gets lucky and beats the Sioux in the playoffs that an NCAA ring will be a strong enough reason to come back, by itself.

So much uncertainty ahead, it is better to focus on the present anyway.

I don't know if anyone else caught it, but when Tim O'Keefe interviewed the Devils' scout (don't remember his name) between periods at SCSU, he made the comment that Zach will have his degree when he leaves UND.

As I recall, the scout said something like, "when Zach leaves UND..." and then corrected himself to say "when Zach graduates from UND..."

I thought it was an interesting comment.

The Devils have never rushed talent into the NHL. I think this is one reason that Gionta has done well, and Hale and Martin have pretty bright futures there. With a lockout/strike more than likely to happen, I doubt NJ will pay Zach first round dollars, only to see him play in the AHL or Europe. If he burns up the second half of the season and UND goes to the FF in April, NJ might be more tempted to sign him, but I'd bet they'll wait at least one more season. He's still developing and has a very strong upside.

As far as Shi..., er Shooter, he seems to get most of his hockey info from message boards, Sid and the bottom of a Grain Belt bottle. :ohmy:

Skill wise ZP is ready to turn pro, he demonstrated that clearly at the WJC where he stood out amongst players where most Russian, Finnish, Czech, Swedish, Canadian and US players will be or currently are pros. His supposed lack of point production this year will only be mentioned by stats dorks who don't watch the kid play. A great offensive player will get his points, but what's more important is how many opportunities he generates for himself and his teammates. Not only when he is on the ice, but also by what happens when he's on the bench. Zach digs pucks out of corners that touch three other players sticks before going in the net (no statistical assist), Zach exhausts opposing players so other teammates can score. The bottom line is ZP makes plays at the pro level. ZP also backchecks ferociously and is tough to knock off the puck in the corners. Playing at the highest level is when ZP shines. At his size and everything, he reminds me of my namesake here. I predict one more year at the NCAA level not because ZP isn't ready for the NHL, but because he isn't quite ready to be a first line center in the NHL. As skilled offensively as he is right now, I can't picture him going head to head with guys like Forsberg, Modano and Fedorov in the corners. Watching him at the WJC showed me that he is almost ready. We've got him one more year. Why don't we win two in a row and shut up those Gopher fans!!

As far as Shi..., er Shooter, he seems to get most of his hockey info from message boards, Sid and the bottom of a Grain Belt bottle. :ohmy:

what you got against Grain Belt?!?! Please don't use those two in the same sentance! At least Premium tastes and looks good!

WPoS

JBSU = Jan Brady State University. SCCC = St Cloud Community College. You get the drift...

WPoS

JBSU, SCCC, Marci=Means program envy of the Gophers or you could insert other sucessfull programs. The Middle sister If I remember right in the Brady's family from the Brady Bunch. Yes I watched this show when I was young...

I know this topic has been beat to death, but after watching the games on tv this weekend, I have one question for everyone.

Do you think the decision to go pro will be made easier for Zach given the fact that he cannot move on the ice without being clutched, grabbed, mugged and pulled down? I know this also happens in the NHL, but not near as much as I have seen over Zach's two years thus far. Also, he won't be the targeted man right off the start and won't get the attention he does now. Does he leave to find some open ice? Just a thought I had and was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were.

Do you think the decision to go pro will be made easier for Zach given the fact that he cannot move on the ice without being clutched, grabbed, mugged and pulled down? I know this also happens in the NHL, but not near as much as I have seen over Zach's two years thus far. Also, he won't be the targeted man right off the start and won't get the attention he does now. Does he leave to find some open ice? Just a thought I had and was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were.

I think it will ultimately be NJ that decides when they want ZP to come, and hopefully, the CBA and pending lockout will prevent that from happening for at least one more season.

Maybe NJ thinks this is good experience dragging people around the ice. It certainly builds endurance.

It's a shame that we may never see the total ZP game until he plays in the NHL. The WCHA crew is rapidly turning college hockey into a joke.

BTW, we have it on good authority (Suze) that UAA does not play clutch and grab. I don't disagree, what we saw this weekend was so far beyond clutch and grab that it needs a new name, clutch and grab doesn't come close to describing it.

I find it almost impossible to believe that Shepard, when meeting with Mason to critique the performance this weekend, would label it a good job. On the other hand, looking at all the complaining from the CC/Gopher series, it's apparent that teams are starting to clutch and grab. If it's allowed over and over, it will only continue to get worse.

Wonder if Michigan Tech has learned to do it yet?