SiouxSports.com Forum

impact of new conference on TV broadcast

Anderson2200

I live in NW North Dakota, we get the Midco feed through our small, local cable company NCC. There are many, many Sioux hockey fans who watch and follow UND hockey. Many of them elderly, they don't have laptops,hdmi cables or even internet. CBSSN isn't offered through NCC cable. I guess once again they get thrown under the technology bus. Sad.

No one is being thrown under the bus, not by UND Athletics. Unfortunately, it's merely a fact of life that in 2013 there are now platforms other than television broadcasting games. I'm sorry if that comes off cold -- it certainly isn't meant to -- but it is reality. Heck, my 73-year old mother in Saskatchewan watches our games via webcast. As an athletics department -- as a University -- we must evolve with the times to keep up. This means our fan base will be asked to do the same.

Jayson, I believe you work with NeuLion or whatever that webcast company is... is there a possibility they could make the UND app available for Xbox? I'm sure there's a reason why, but when I webcast espn3 from there it's way better than if I do the same from my laptop.

We do indeed work with NeuLion. I'd be lying if I even attempted to answer this, so I'll try to find out :)

While personal viewing options is obviously important, I think a lot of us care about the overall exposure of the program. The main problem with webcasts has been quality, but another problem is that a webcast is a destination viewing option. Nobody stumbles across a webcast when browsing for something to watch. I think a lot of us were excited about the FCS deal, not just because that meant we personally got to watch games from our living room on TV, but because of the exposure opportunities for the program in general. I guess that's another frustrating part of this deal and, from the outside looking in, it makes it appear like UND is regressing, not progressing. But like you said, I don't have all the details. Just one fan's impression.

This is certainly fair and understandable. As I've stated numerous times, we as a department would obviously still like to have that national footprint as well. We'll keep working to get it back in some form or fashion. In the meantime, at least we have another option to view our favorite college hockey team.

Fr

From what I understand from reading about this subject - Conference games only. When UND plays a non-conference game at home, it can be broadcast nationally. At this point, I don't know what network would do that since the contract with Fox College Sports will be expired. Something for the Athletic Department to work on, I guess. BTW, telecasts of other sports can be broadcast nationally, if a network to do so can be found. It really is too bad about the FCS deal, but maybe UND broadcasts didn't help their bottom line much. There must be some reason they wanted out.

Not true. As stated before, the NCHC deal with CBSSN prohibits UND from broadcasting any game on a national basis unless it is on CBSSSN.

This TV deal alone is a "you're Fired" moment for whoever signed off on it.

THE most damaging thing that can happen to the University of North Dakota hockey program outside of dumping coach Dave.

There doeant seem to be any accountability right now but just wait until next year when everyone has to pony up the big $$ for a crappy web feed to see the games in Fargo and around the country.

There better be a head rolling along the frozen campus in Grand Forks.

Guess what...the team will play games and win games wether people are watching them on TV or not. sure it is not as good of a situation as it is now with FCS, but to say it is the most damaging thing that could happen to UND?? Now that is just crazy!! Faison has made some questionable decisions in the past, but being a leader in getting the NCHC formed was a pretty big accomplishment. Getting a National network to broadcast games is a pretty sweet deal two. Would you rather be playing in the WCHA playing on the FSSN? Sure next year is gonna be not as great, but that doesn't mean it can't improve in the future. ext year will be the first year of the conference and the new TV deal. It will get better. Just freakin RELAX!!!

Id rather be full time midco hd instead of part time and cbssn doubleheader fridays which half wont even feature us

Face it folks. We are regressing in the national footprint

Boycott cbssn!

I realize I'm now beating a dead horse with certain posters, but let me see if I get this straight: Your response/solution to having fewer UND games on national TV is to boycott the one network that will be showing UND games on national TV?

• Upvote 2

I realize I'm now beating a dead horse with certain posters, but let me see if I get this straight: Your response/solution to having fewer UND games on national TV is to boycott the one network that will be showing UND games on national TV?

Jayson - please excuse gfhockey. It appears that he somehow got out of his cage and found his way to a computer (or maybe a smart phone). He's not trying to act this way, it just comes naturally to him.

Thanks for coming on here and addressing our questions and concerns.

• Upvote 1

1. If you're watching on Midco now, nothing is changing. No. Wait. You're getting HD next year.

2. If you're watching nationally on FCS, we're sorry, but that three-year deal is up.

3. The new deal is in HD on CBSSN. It's not as many games as the deal with with the league, not UND.

4. Watching on the internet next year, if that's how you watch now or will be watching in the future, will be in HD.

5. All that could change is not known yet.

6. UND knows it's in its best interest to spread the "Gospel of the Green" to the masses. (Yes, Hajdu, you may steal that.)

I'm "lucky" enough to have Midco here in Bemidji, MN, so I assume since I already have a few Midco Sports Net channels, I will be able to watch UND hockey games next year. That being said, if I had to watch the games via webcast, I'd have two very simple requests:

1) Make the user interface as simple as possible

2) Make sure you go beyond the minimum for bandwidth. ESPN3 NCAA hockey tourney games were very high quality last year. I would hope UND can match their quality, but to do so, ya gotta have the horsepower!

I'm "lucky" enough to have Midco here in Bemidji, MN, so I assume since I already have a few Midco Sports Net channels, I will be able to watch UND hockey games next year. That being said, if I had to watch the games via webcast, I'd have two very simple requests:

1) Make the user interface as simple as possible

2) Make sure you go beyond the minimum for bandwidth. ESPN3 NCAA hockey tourney games were very high quality last year. I would hope UND can match their quality, but to do so, ya gotta have the horsepower!

I've asked my right-hand man, Matt Schill, to put together a response for those of you concerned about webcast quality going forward. He speaks the language, I don't.

1. If you're watching on Midco now, nothing is changing. No. Wait. You're getting HD next year.

2. If you're watching nationally on FCS, we're sorry, but that three-year deal is up.

3. The new deal is in HD on CBSSN. It's not as many games as the deal with with the league, not UND.

4. Watching on the internet next year, if that's how you watch now or will be watching in the future, will be in HD.

5. All that could change is not known yet.

6. UND knows it's in its best interest to spread the "Gospel of the Green" to the masses. (Yes, Hajdu, you may steal that.)

I am a sucker for alliteration.

I've asked my right-hand man, Matt Schill, to put together a response for those of you concerned about webcast quality going forward. He speaks the language, I don't.

Thanks Jayson. I doubt any other person with your job goes on fan boards and answers questions like you do. Biggest problem is we have been spoiled rotten with coverage for to long. No other fans have gotten to watch as much of their team living out of market as we have. New league new contracts. Live goes on.
  • Upvote 2

UND at home? Midco.

UND at Wisconsin? Do we see that now?

It was stated earlier that if CBSSN has a doubleheader that UND isn't involved in, midco won't be able to broadcast the UND game even if its at home. Although I know there's nothing UND could do about it, I find that to be the most depressing thing too.