SiouxSports.com Forum

Poll: Would you be interested in fundraising for new green unis for th

geaux_sioux

31 members have voted

1. 1. New Green Jerseys?

• I am willing to contribute $20 and feel confident in my ability to find at least 10 people who would also be willing to contribute $20
    • I am willing to contribute more than $20 and feel confident I can find at least 10 people who are willing to contribute at least $20
    • I am willing to contribute $20 but am not confident I can find at least 10 people who are willing to contribute $20
    • I am willing to contribute between $20 and $100 and can find 5 others to do the same
    • I am willing to contribute over $100 and can find 5 others to do the same
    • I am willing to contribute over $100 and can find 5 others to contribute at least $20
    • I live outside of UND country and am willing to contribute between 20-100 bucks and won't be able to find anyone else to contribute
    • I live outside of UND country and am willing to contribute over $100 and can't find anyone else to contribute

Because if we go through them they will take 10% off the top, like usual. :silly:

Do you think that some website is going to do it for free? Costs will vary, but it normally costs something. I believe that the costs for the site that Cratter listed is 5% plus $1 for transactions up to $25 or $2.50 for transactions above that. For a donation of $20 that would cost you 10%. They have different structures depending on the size of the organization. But wait, there's more. I believe that the website has to have an account with the organization so that they have the 501©3 information on record. Otherwise you can't get your deduction. Someone can't just set up a fundraiser for say the UND Football Team, if the UND Football Team doesn't have an account set up with the site. The website doesn't know if the organization is a 501©3 or not. The website can't promise that the donation is tax deductible without that information.

As far as I can tell, the only entity from UND associated with the website that Cratter listed is the UND Foundation. So the money would still have to funnel through the foundation, and they would take their 10% off also. Now for your $20 donation, only 81% of it will get to the project itself, rather than the 90% that would get there if you just went through the Foundation. Websites like this help make fundraising convenient for people, but they don't do it for free. They have bills to pay, people to hire, etc. If you want to use a website like this to make it more convenient for people that's fine. But don't kid yourself and believe that it means 100% of the donation is going to get to the project.

Maybe a cash drive is not the answer. Bemidji State has a golf event every year called the Galen Nagle (a former Beaver player who died of cancer a few years back). The event raises around $30,000 every year and all proceeds go to BSU mens hockey. Maybe we should push for an event like this. That might be our best avenue. Plus it stirs more interest in the program and gets former players together every year.

There is already a golf event for former players every year at Legends in Prior Lake. I believe it raises close to two scholarships per year.

Have we determined yet whether the funds would be for jerseys or the IPF? I would provide a donation for the jerseys just to help the cause a bit but I don't really care if we have green uniforms or not. I would be much more interested in writing a larger check for the IPF. I think it would be great to purchase something within the building that they would not have been able to have without our contribution.

• Upvote 2

As I tried to say a page or so back, the big missing fact here is the target. I would think step #1 in fundraising is establishing a target. I have no idea what uniforms cost, but 85 of them can't be cheap. An IPF, though, is in such a different class that it's probably simply unachievable by "small" donations. I'm not trying to throw cold water on the idea, rather I'm quite happy to support any of these causes, but there does have to be a common understanding of the goal (which, in this case, is a dollar number).

As I tried to say a page or so back, the big missing fact here is the target. I would think step #1 in fundraising is establishing a target. I have no idea what uniforms cost, but 85 of them can't be cheap. An IPF, though, is in such a different class that it's probably simply unachievable by "small" donations. I'm not trying to throw cold water on the idea, rather I'm quite happy to support any of these causes, but there does have to be a common understanding of the goal (which, in this case, is a dollar number).

As I said before the cost of jerseys for a team is about 10 grand.

I really think they should start. Promote the whole next level thing. Pride of the Sky Montana does it.

I think it would help the fans connect with the team. Was it last year or the year before: who's QB now? Is that 13 or 18?

I don't wanna memorize names and numbers of 20+ regulars.

Call me crazy though.

Enlighten me - do we know for sure that the UND FB program and administration want green jerseys or is this just our wish?

They want them, its just a matter of budget and priority.

Last season they got alternative blacks, but they quickly transformed into the primarys because of the better fit and just plain better design compared to thier old greens. So, to match those blacks, Mussman wants to first get tight fitting away uniforms (whites) before going to another home jersey option.

If we can get this fundraiser going and its successful, the team could get all of thier uniform plans out of the way this offseason, rather then in two!

Last season they got alternative blacks, but they quickly transformed into the primarys because of the better fit and just plain better design compared to thier old greens. So, to match those blacks, Mussman wants to first get tight fitting away uniforms (whites) before going to another home jersey option.

If we can get this fundraiser going and its successful, the team could get all of thier uniform plans out of the way this offseason, rather then in two!

Just think how pumped the players and coaches will be when they hear that fans randomly funded a set of needed new jeaseys for them.

OK - I'm in!

Maybe we can successfully assist with this and then try to fund something in the IPF that isn't in the plan due to budget constraints - something that would really assist the program, recruiting, etc. At this point, I have no idea what that might be but I am sure there will be quite a few things that will fall into that category - nice to have but they don't have the $ for it!

As I said before the cost of jerseys for a team is about 10 grand.

Oops! Sorry about that, my mistake.

$10k is conceivable but ambitious. It would clearly require going beyond this community, as at $20 a pop you'd need 500 donors. Add in some $100 whales and you're still looking at 20 $100 donors and 400 $20 donors, etc... It either needs some pretty big numbers of people or some pretty big donations.

My point in doing that math, though, was going to be to contrast it with some of the larger ticket ideas being floated. If that's what it takes to raise $10k, raising a significantly larger number simply requires some pretty dig donations; sheer volume of small donations is unlikely to work.

For $10k, though, the "small" donations are clearly quite helpful, but if there were also a way to juice some "big" ones that would go far.