SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching Change

SIOUXELEVENS

You know, I think Hakstol is doing a good job of bringing in great talent. That's tough to do, but let's face it...easier when you have the tradition and the finest facilities in the college hockey world, if not hockey itself...

...and here we go again with the 'tradition and best hockey arena in the history of civilization' as reasons why North Dakota should be winning NCAA champsionships by the bushel basket...

Tennessee has the best football stadium in the land and the bestest fans anywhere...no, wait, it's Michigan football...oh, but throw tradition in there and we're talking Alabama...or was it Notre Dame...wait, Florida has the greatest fans...but Ohio State has the nicest stadium...are we talking day games or night games though because then it's LSU with the best stadium in the universe...I'm so confused...who should win the college football title every year?

I'd actually say lettering in four sports is very hard- impossible if one is hockey.

I'd concur with that statement. Kids in the Bloomington Mite program are encouraged to play hockey year-round...lost a ton of baseball kids to that theory this summer...

...and here we go again with the 'tradition and best hockey arena in the history of civilization' as reasons why North Dakota should be winning NCAA champsionships by the bushel basket...

Tennessee has the best football stadium in the land and the bestest fans anywhere...no, wait, it's Michigan football...oh, but throw tradition in there and we're talking Alabama...or was it Notre Dame...wait, Florida has the greatest fans...but Ohio State has the nicest stadium...are we talking day games or night games though because then it's LSU with the best stadium in the universe...I'm so confused...who should win the college football title every year?

whoever the BCS wants to win it!

Watching the back and forth, I can see that if you know somebody well or are related to someone it appears there isn't as high of a standard as to what is acceptable. If you don't know someone, its open season on coaches even with a more than respectable record. I don't think the people that are all over Hakstol for a record he shouldn't have to apologize for, have the same expectation level of themselves or people they know.

Wow, I don't read Sioux Sports for 1 day and I come here and see that geaux_sioux has again outdone himself. I was going to reply directly to his posts, but after reading them all I'm not sure I have enough time in the day, nor would it be worth it. I'll just continue to let him show his ignorance by posting for himself.

I never said win it every year.or .by the "bushel or basket". I'm just saying that Hakstol rightfully should feel heat to win a national championship. People are turning up the heat, and they should. To be honest, if he doesn't in the next few years, he'll probably get canned. That's the way it goes.

On the other hand, I like Hakstol. The team plays at a high level. For the most part, Hakstol seems to emphasize academics with a high level of hockey. He's a no-nonsense guy,who demands a lot of his players. That's a great thing about him. But, there are expectations of national championships at UND, as well there should be.

• Upvote 1

whoever the BCS wants to win it!

Right! Michigan vs Ohio State? No, we can't have that...we just had that over Thanksgiving and Michigan lost. No conference title means no BCS title.

Flash-forward to LSU vs Alabama - well...the SEC has the best teams anyways...nevermind what happened a few years ago...

You know, I think Hakstol is doing a good job of bringing in great talent. That's tough to do, but let's face it...easier when you have the tradition and the finest facilities in the college hockey world, if not hockey itself.

I'll just keep pointing out what I point out all the time...having tradition and a nice hockey arena doesn't guarantee success. I don't know why fans think that leather seats, fireworks, and laser shows should guarantee titles. UND did just fine before the new arena was built...maybe the coziness and comforts are too much?

I'll just keep pointing out what I point out all the time...having tradition and a nice hockey arena doesn't guarantee success. I don't know why fans think that leather seats, fireworks, and laser shows should guarantee titles. UND did just fine before the new arena was built...maybe the coziness and comforts are too much?

That's a fair point. I believe it does help bring in the talent.

Also, just being a devil's advocate, I don't believe Hakstol was on a national championship team. Cary Eades, of course, was. I think it's fair to say that Eades has experience in how to win it all as a player. Does that translate to winning it all as a coach?

Of course no one thinks that having a nice arena guarantees success - that's why we have a coaching staff - that's their job. However, almost everyone but you thinks that having the best tradition, the best arena, and the best fans certainly doesn't hurt and probably helps in recruiting. Bringing a recruit to a game at the Ralph when the Sioux are rocking has to be somewhat impressive. The Ralph is icing on the cake, but hey, icing tastes pretty good. Sioux fans need to keep their expectations high.

Also, just being a devil's advocate, I don't believe Hakstol was on a national championship team. Cary Eades, of course, was. I think it's fair to say that Eades has experience in how to win it all as a player. Does that translate to winning it all as a coach?

Just being devil's advocate...both played for Gino Gasparini. Does that mean Gino was a 'good' coach in 1982 when Cary Eades was playing and suddenly lost it from 1988-1992 when Dave Hakstol was on the team? The 1990 team went to Boston and won the opening game of their three-game series. BU slogged down the ice the next two nights and UND lost both games and was eliminated. BU went on to the Frozen Four and lost to Colgate 3-2. The next two years, the team went steadily downhill...are you blaming THAT on Dave Hakstol too?

Of course no one thinks that having a nice arena guarantees success - that's why we have a coaching staff - that's their job. However, almost everyone but you thinks that having the best tradition, the best arena, and the best fans certainly doesn't hurt and probably helps in recruiting. Bringing a recruit to a game at the Ralph when the Sioux are rocking has to be somewhat impressive. The Ralph is icing on the cake, but hey, icing tastes pretty good. Sioux fans need to keep their expectations high.

I would say that several schools think they have the best tradition, best arena, and the best fans...that's very opinionated criteria you are using.

I would say that several schools think they have the best tradition, best arena, and the best fans...that's very opinionated criteria you are using.

Challenge accepted -

Best tradition - 5 championships in the 25 years before Hak took over - next closest is Lake Superior State with 3

Best fans - top 1 or 2 in home attendence and always sold out - name one team who's fans travel better

Best arena - name a better one

There is mounting evidence that there is perhaps a greater degree of parity in Division I hockey than there has ever been before. Look at all the No. 1 seeds in the NCAA that have been defeated by No. 4 seeds. As a general rule, that did not happen decades ago. And, just as a matter of comparison, how long did Michigan go without a national title under the direction of coach Red Berenson (I'm not criticizing Red--I think he's one of the great college hockey coaches of all time)? Didn't Michigan win a title in the mid-60s and then go all the way up until the mid-90s or so before winning another title, and then a second title shortly after that? Should Berenson have been fired sometime in the interim? Come on. Note also Minnesota coach Don Lucia's comments about the parity and the competition getting stiff. I know, I know: There's a deep unrest in Gopherland for the same reason. Let's be realistic: I don't think at this point firing Hakstol is the answer we are looking for. As I recall in the semifinal game with Michigan the year Minnesota-Duluth won the title, the pipes were the Michigan goalie's best friend in that game. There are a lot of fine Division I hockey programs out there. Just because Hak hasn't yet been the head coach of a national champion is no reason to fire him. It seems that this is turning into a "what have you done for me lately" bitch. Have people forgotten the late sports writer Grantland Rice's admonition something to the effect that it's not that one wins or loses, but it's how they played the game. As for the Kelly Green and White men's hockey teams collectively under Hakstol, oh, how they played the game. As for me, I'm very proud of the way UND has played the game.

None of our coaches have rings as players or coaches (other than Goerhing-goaltenders- not a full-time gig)

Minnesota yup

Wisconsin yup

UMD yup

SCSU yup

DU yup

UNO yup

Although I don't really agree that DU should have fired the Great and Powerful Gwoz...you have to admit, they may have gotten an awesome replacement.

And, I don't think Hakstol should be fired. But, face it. If he was, there are many high quality coaches that would love the chance to coach at UND.

Challenge accepted -

Best tradition - 5 championships in the 25 years before Hak took over - next closest is Lake Superior State with 3

Best fans - top 1 or 2 in home attendence and always sold out - name one team who's fans travel better

Best arena - name a better one

WSJ opinions on hockey arenas...

http://online.wsj.co...2675400454.html

Montgomery comments on 'storied past and tradition at Denver...' Talk about a cliche comment these days...

http://www.uscho.com...tion-at-denver/

I never questioned UND fanst traveling well...but as far as REA and all its splendor, I'm far more comfortable sitting in a backless seat at Yost than I am at REA. I was a season ticket holder at REA for several years...my row consisted of about 50 seats between aisles and I was close to the end. I'm scrunched into my seat like a sardine (I'm all of 5'10" and 185, ok, 200 pounds), and had to get up every 4 seconds for the 22 fans closest to my side of the aisle who wanted to grab a beer. Unlike the X, where ushers actually MAKE YOU WAIT UNTIL THE WHISTLE BLOWS BEFORE YOU RETURN TO YOUR SEAT, fans run rampant around REA constantly when the puck is in play. One game, I missed two goals because a beer-grabber decided to stop in front of me while watching the action. Then they're annoyed when you tell them to find their seat or get out of the way. No room for your legs when you're sitting...that's a big factor in terms of 'best arena' in my book. And I especially love how fans treat leather seats and cherry wood armrests by jumping all over them between periods...talk about a total lack of respect for the facility. Just my two cents.

• Upvote 1

Just watch any hockey east game where the arena holds 4000 people , they already say this! Than they add that most of their arenas are getting refurbished this off season which would make it the palace of college hockey. Them places could be storage buildings for the REA!

Just watch any hockey east game where the arena holds 4000 people , they already say this! Than they add that most of their arenas are getting refurbished this off season which would make it the palace of college hockey. Them places could be storage buildings for the REA!

Again, it's all opinion. I'm not sure what you're arguing.

Great post, again shows your lack of intelligence. Ask me if I thought Chuck Ness was a good coach when I was 16 or 17. Of course not, didn't like as a coach so what. Now I look back and I have a different opinion. I coached kids that played for Central in the mid 2000's and still am in touch with a few of them. They all have nothing but good things to say about Tony so not sure where you are getting your info. Did you not make the cheer team and have some bitter feelings?

You are not the only person I have heard that played for Chuck say the same thing. You forgot to mention not just that Tony is a good guy but so is the rest of his family. His dad is a helluva good guy.

Just being devil's advocate...both played for Gino Gasparini. Does that mean Gino was a 'good' coach in 1982 when Cary Eades was playing and suddenly lost it from 1988-1992 when Dave Hakstol was on the team? The 1990 team went to Boston and won the opening game of their three-game series. BU slogged down the ice the next two nights and UND lost both games and was eliminated. BU went on to the Frozen Four and lost to Colgate 3-2. The next two years, the team went steadily downhill...are you blaming THAT on Dave Hakstol too?

MM one thing those teams in the early 90's seemed to have in common with this year was guys playing for themselves a little too much. A lot of similarities in this between Ward and Kristo.

That's a fair point. I believe it does help bring in the talent.

Did Blais win a national title as a player at Minnesota? Gasparini at UND? Lucia at Notre Dame? York at BC? (The answer is the same for all.) Just because you don't win a national title as a player doesn't seem to be a factor in winning national titles as a coach. Can we at least drop that argument?

Did Blais win a national title as a player at Minnesota? Gasparini at UND? Lucia at Notre Dame? York at BC? (The answer is the same for all.) Just because you don't win a national title as a player doesn't seem to be a factor in winning national titles as a coach. Can we at least drop that argument?

Or you can say that just because someone was a great player does not make them a great coach. Gretzky is a great example. Does anyone know if any coach who won a national title won one as a player?