SiouxSports.com Forum

World Juniors - US/Canada

siouxgrad

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was wondering why I kept hearing Kesler with Parise and Stafford with O'Sullivan. Here's an excerpt from a news release that tells about the changes Canada made to start the game to contain the Parise line and Eaves changes for the third period:

Canada did a nice job shutting down tournament MVP Zach Parise in the first two periods, playing its top quintet of Getzlaf, Jeff Carter, Brent Burns, Dion Phaneuf and Derek Meech against the Americans' first unit in order to force Parise to backcheck more vigorously. But a strategy change by Team USA head coach Mike Eaves in the second intermission changed the flow of the game.

Eaves sent Dan Richmond, Mark Stuart, Suter and Jim Wisniewski up ice more frequently from their rearguard positions, and moved Ryan Kesler from the second line to the first, dropping Brady Murray off the left wing in order to pair Kesler with Parise and Stephen Werner. That new top line, in addition to the second line of Patrick Eaves, O'Sullivan and Drew Stafford, was responsible for creating more scoring chances in the third period than the Americans had in the first two combined.

Kesler replaced Murray on line one and Stafford was moved up from line 4 to line 2 to replace Kesler. Stafford must have impressed Eaves somewhere along the line to get moved into this position with the game on the line. In addition, check the size of Kesler and Stafford, obviously a factor in forechecking the very big Canadian Dmen.

Kesler 6'2" 195

Stafford 6'2" 200

The above comes from another article on SI

"Being down 3-1, we talked about, 'What are the things that we can control?' We talked about working hard and manufacturing some goals," said Eaves. "I don't know who's the first guy that said it, but I know a lot of athletes have said it: When you work hard, you make your own good luck. The kids just kept pounding away. The first two goals were good goals and the last one was a little bit of a fortunate one. But we worked darn hard to get there and we created our own luck."

This is a quote from the USCHO article. Could it be that Patrick Eaves is trying to quote Ralph?

us_flag.gifus_flag.gifus_flag.gifus_flag.gifus_flag.gifus_flag.gif

What a great victory this is for Team USA and the UND players on team. It's truly an honor for Zach Pairse to be named MVP, best forward and to make the all-tournament team. Now let's make it perfect by winning an NCAA championship. Wow.gifyay.gifworship.gifthumbsup.gif

This is a quote from the USCHO article. Could it be that Patrick Eaves is trying to quote Ralph?

Ok, I can't find any reference to this, but my grandpa used to say "luck is the point where hard work and preparation meet."

He always credited the quote to former UCLA coach John Wooden. Is this originally Wooden's quote? I don't know but I always liked it and it seems similar to what Eaves what trying to say.

Doing some searching myself, it looks like there's a bunch of similar quotes. One of Ralph's mottos was: "The harder you work, the luckier you get." But, a lot of other people used the same one (or very similar ones). I'm not sure who is credited with saying it, or something like it, first.

In any event, WAY TO GO, USA!!!! Are any of you Grand Forkers going to meet Zach & Co. at the airport???

Ok, I can't find any reference to this, but my grandpa used to say "luck is the point where hard work and preparation meet."

He always credited the quote to former UCLA coach John Wooden. Is this originally Wooden's quote? I don't know but I always liked it and it seems similar to what Eaves what trying to say.

I've seen that quote, or something similar, also attributed to Henry Ford and Albert Einstein. I think it was actually Al Gore though, right after he invented the internet. :lol::angry:

My favorite statistic:

* in 6 games against the world's best,

* Zach Parise was not on the ice for an even-strength goal against,

* Neither was Brady Murray,

* Nor was Drew Stafford.

As close to perfect hockey as it gets, eh?

Amen to that... :angry:

And SiouxFaninBoston, it was MIKE Eaves who was "quoting" Ralph, at least in all of the articles I read, it was. But we all know what you meant. :lol:

And SiouxFaninBoston, it was MIKE Eaves who was "quoting" Ralph, at least in all of the articles I read, it was.  But we all know what you meant. :lol:

Yup, I think you're right. On the USCHO article, Mike is quoted, then several paragraphs down they mention Patrick feeding a cross-ice pass, and then several paragraphs down from that is the "Eaves'" quote we're talking about. I guess I saw the mention of Patrick with his pass, so thought it was his quote. I think I'll stick to last names from now on... :angry:

One of Ralph's mottos was:  "The harder you work, the luckier you get."  But, a lot of other people used the same one (or very similar ones).  I'm not sure who is credited with saying it, or something like it, first. 

Thomas Jefferson?

I don't know if anyone's posted this here, but someone did on the USCHO board. (It was originally posted on Hockey Future's message board by the guy from Kingsmediazone.com who produced it). It's a video tribute of the Championship Game -- set to music, etc. It's good (music choice could have been better, but I think a Canadian made it :angry: ).

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=41250

Thanks SiouxFanInBoston. That is a nice video. The best part is, you can save it and watch it as many times as you want.

You're welcome. I've already watched it several times ....

If I could also make another suggestion -- if you didn't listen to the playing of the Star Spangled Banner after the game, go to the USAhockey.com site and click on the archived audiocast. Go to the very, very end (at about 3:07 or so) -- you may have to listen to a few minutes of talk first (but it's not boring -- most of it is about GF and next year's tournament), but then the National Anthem is played. You can hear the players just belt out the song. I've listened to that a few times, too! (Here's the link: http://www.usahockey.com/usa_hockey/04worldjrs/04worldjrs/ ).

{EDIT: For some reason, my original USAhockey.com link didn't work, so I'm trying it again...}

Using the WJC national anthem sounds like it would be cool.

Unfortunately, I can't get any of the archived audio links on the USA Hockey Web site to work for me. :angry: The archived video highlights work fine, however.

I best chime in here--- Congrats to Team USA.

It is trully a shame that the US media chose to gloss over this tournement and very few of us (not me) got to see what might have been one one the greatest hockey games in US history. Obviously this is second to the Miricle on Ice, but it is still incredible none the less.

Congrats is Zach Parise especially- Now the world knows what kind of force he will be in the future. The beauty of this tourney tends to be a show case for future NHL talent. Being a big time goalie fan I would also like to give props to Al Montoya who is yet undrafted probably rocket up the pick chart from a second or third round goalie to a top 10 pick. The team never let up more than 3 goals for the tourney, and had a 27-8 GF - GA stat... That is insane. True donimance. The first 2 games of the tourney (Austria and Slovaka) were won by a combined score of 13-0

Congrats now Zach, Brady, and Drew lets carry that momentum so you guy can add a National Championship to that gold medal on the mantle!!!

P.S. Awesome video!!