SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ Notre Dame - gobble gobble

AZSIOUX

It's going to take a little time for not only our guys to get used to Berry's system but for Berry and Hak to totally get on the same page, let's not forget that Hak and Eades worked together forever and understood what the other was thinking and what the overall philosophy was, there has to be at least somewhat of a learning curve between the coaches too. So while the defense has not looked too fluid and comfortable so far, I think we should climb off the ledge for a while, maybe the flat-footedness and cautious advance is being caused more by not being totally comfortable adjusting to a new coaches gameplan than being slow and lazy like has been discussed on here recently.

I'm hoping that's the case anyway.

46 SOG by UMD Friday was ridiculous, but what was even more disturbing was UND played pretty well defensively to hold the Dogs to 14 SOH thru 2 periods Saturday but then got out shot 17-7 in the 3rd/OT. Corrections defensively seemed to be made Saturday, but then the 3rd period started and our D play reverted back to Friday's poor D.

If we play defensively anywhere near what we did vs. UMD at the other ND, it's going to be a long weekend.

I was at both game this past weekend...no duckies and bunnies here. Very lucky to come away with 3 points.

Very lucky to get 3 points and I think most observant fans would agree to that! They found a way to pull one out sat! Hope that can be a jump start but who the hell knows :)

Very lucky to get 3 points and I think most observant fans would agree to that! They found a way to pull one out sat! Hope that can be a jump start but who the hell knows :)

Yeah it could have easily been a goose egg, hopefully they're having a good week of practice.

You think our defense is the worst in the country?

We give up 2.4 goals per game... 4th in the WCHA.

I'd watch some more teams before you label us the worst.

I'd be careful with the stats, as they can always be manipulated-

We gave up 1.5 gpg against the powerhouses from Alaska for the first 4 games of the year. (2-1-1 record)

Then 3 gpg against BU, SCSU, and UMD, including 3 games where we had 4 or more hung on us in the last 6 games. (3-2-1 record)

Yes, the Sioux should be happy to come away with 3 points last weekend, but if the Sioux outplay Notre Dame this weekend and end up losing, will the fans focus on the performance or the fact that they lost. I can guarantee you that the performance won't matter to many because they will always find something that isn't perfect. The loss to Michigan in the Frozen Four is a perfect example.

• Upvote 1

I was at both game this past weekend...no duckies and bunnies here. Very lucky to come away with 3 points.

Hadn't heard duckies and bunnies for a while....made me laugh. :lol:

Tough not to be a realist about what we're seeing defensively. Its calling a spade a spade.

be careful some on this board might think you aren't being positive about this upcoming weekend.

Are you talking about me? Because I disagree with a Gopher mole that says our team defense is the worst in the country and we haven't been the better team other than one game this season?

We all don't have to buy into the constant doom and gloom around here: "Damn you, Brad Berry!", "OMG 46 shots!", "THE SEASON'S OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11"

(and I'm sure if we shut Notre Dame down defensively over the weekend, you will come back here and admit you were overreacting about our team defense. :silly: All of you armchair experts and your brilliant theories make me laugh.)

Are you talking about me? Because I disagree with a Gopher mole that says our team defense is the worst in the country and we haven't been the better team other than one game this season?

We all don't have to buy into the constant doom and gloom around here: "Damn you, Brad Berry!", "OMG 46 shots!", "THE SEASON'S OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11"

(and I'm sure if we shut Notre Dame down defensively over the weekend, you will come back here and admit you were overreacting about our team defense. :silly: All of you armchair experts and your brilliant theories make me laugh.)

I wasn't referring to you by that.

Simple question...did you watch in their entirety both games this weekend?

Defensivley we were pretty awful for most of the weeknd...doesn't mean season is over, but to sugggest anything else is having your head up Berry's...

No doubt defensively UND will turn the corner, but so far this season the defensive play has been less than stellar.

Our defense in our own zone (both offensemen and defensemen) has to be the worst in the nation....just has to. We have been outshot in almost every game and it appears to me everyone is standing around watching the opposing team. I have yet to figure out why this team isn't playing up to their potential. In every game they have played (except Friday's BU game) I thought they have looked like the inferior team. I have no doubt they will figure it out....but I hope it is sooner rather than later.

"Worst in the nation". Get real! Might want to ask Clarke Saunders about that since he routinely saw the number of shots we saw Duluth mount on Friday, and by the way Saunders himself said that total was skewed because many of the shots were from the perimeter.

"Worst in the nation". Get real! Might want to ask Clarke Saunders about that since he routinely saw the number of shots we saw Duluth mount on Friday, and by the way Saunders himself said that total was skewed because many of the shots were from the perimeter.

They were still getting shots....correct? I don't care where they were coming from...they were still coming from our own zone.

You think our defense is the worst in the country?

We give up 2.4 goals per game... 4th in the WCHA.

I'd watch some more teams before you label us the worst.

Sorry, I was over-exaggerating a bit, but I have played hockey my entire life and have watched this team for the past 14 years and can tell you I have not seen them this bad in their own zone before. The past few years the problem was letting in weak goals (14 shots against....3 goals allowed, etc.) this year Saunders is doing a fine job but he is getting peppered. Those SCSU games are a great example....SCSU was on the door step all night. Those shots all came from inside the circle(s). Yes, I like your GAA stat...that means Saunders is playing well....nothing else.

On a more positive note, our offense has been fine all year. I have a hunch MacMillan and Kristo are going to have a great years.

I think Big Mac asside we don't have any really defensive defenseman. we have a lot of skilled offensive d. we have been spoiled over the past how many years with bigger bruising dmen whose main objective was to make opponents pay with pain not to score and create offensive opportunities.. we don't have that this year. hence our in zone d has been a liability so far and probably will for the most part this season. which makes it more important that they find a way to score 4 plus goals a game. as we'll be giving up 3-4 on a more consistent basis.

• Upvote 1

I think it's too easy to blame the D for our 3rd period woes on Sat. The ice was tilted our way because UMD clogged the neutral zone, didn't allow us puck time in their zone, and created a bunch of turnovers that led to lots of puck time in our end. Our forwards/ didn't adjust to the UMD trap - they didn't get open.

re: coaching - all our coaches from Blais forward, including assistants, have been Gino disciples. I don't believe from a philosophy standpoint there is much of a diff between Hak, Sandy, Eades, Berry, Blais.

Sorry, I was over-exaggerating a bit, but I have played hockey my entire life and have watched this team for the past 14 years and can tell you I have not seen them this bad in their own zone before. The past few years the problem was letting in weak goals (14 shots against....3 goals allowed, etc.) this year Saunders is doing a fine job but he is getting peppered. Those SCSU games are a great example....SCSU was on the door step all night. Those shots all came from inside the circle(s). Yes, I like your GAA stat...that means Saunders is playing well....nothing else.

On a more positive note, our offense has been fine all year. I have a hunch MacMillan and Kristo are going to have a great years.

But you can't say the offense if fine if you are ignoring the defensive and bachchecking responsibilities they are not living up to. The D zone is pretty big, and there are 5 defenders covering it.

• Upvote 1

I think it's too easy to blame the D for our 3rd period woes on Sat. The ice was tilted our way because UMD clogged the neutral zone, didn't allow us puck time in their zone, and created a bunch of turnovers that led to lots of puck time in our end. Our forwards/ didn't adjust to the UMD trap - they didn't get open.

re: coaching - all our coaches from Blais forward, including assistants, have been Gino disciples. I don't believe from a philosophy standpoint there is much of a diff between Hak, Sandy, Eades, Berry, Blais.

Exactly, you don't give up 48 shots on goal if you spend more time in the offensive zone and you backcheck when you aren't in the offensive zone. Everybody needs to improve a bit to bring those stats down. Usually this time of year we are talking where is the offense. Now it is where is the defense. Not sure I like having either one of those conversations, but hopefully the defense will come around and the offense will only get better.

But you can't say the offense if fine if you are ignoring the defensive and bachchecking responsibilities they are not living up to. The D zone is pretty big, and there are 5 defenders covering it.

I am saying that they are getting tons of scoring oppurtunities and, more importantly, are scoring goals. I have liked the total number of scoring chances we get each game, however, the turnovers, errant breakout passes and overall lack of urgency in our own zone (by all 5 players) is dissappointing. I was never putting all the blame on our defensemen....forwards have to be just as responsible in their own zone.

@SchlossmanGF: Good news UND fans: Notre Dame will have a free webcast of this weekend's games

Would like to see the number of viewers they get this weekend from Sioux fans. Can't believe a network such as NHL or hell anyone wouldn't pick at least a game up this weekend.

I think Big Mac asside we don't have any really defensive defenseman. we have a lot of skilled offensive d. we have been spoiled over the past how many years with bigger bruising dmen whose main objective was to make opponents pay with pain not to score and create offensive opportunities.. we don't have that this year. hence our in zone d has been a liability so far and probably will for the most part this season. which makes it more important that they find a way to score 4 plus goals a game. as we'll be giving up 3-4 on a more consistent basis.

As soon as Rocco quits hitting posts that should add at least 4 more goals a game:)