SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-resident hunter in North Dakota

luapsided

I've lived in Grand Forks all my life and am moving to East Side. I plan to continue to hunt in North Dakota till the day I die, but wow, the regulations are harsh. Deer tags I can understand but as far as small game and bird hunting in general, wow. You pay $85 dollars for either a 14 day period or two seven day periods. What the hell is up with that? Not even an option to hunt the whole year without paying out of my ass... I guess besides any comments like, well its your fault you moved, I'm wondering what other people have payed nonresident fees and what they think about this or what they have done to continue to hunt in North Dakota. I almost feel since it is Grand Forks/ East Grand forks there should be some sort of conjoining laws or discounts since we are on the border. If I live in Minneapolis then of course thats different (maybe?) but being our location and cities are basically together, shouldn't the regulations be a little less harsh? I guess Im looking for a legit conversation on the matter. Thanks for whoever posts. :)

I've lived in Grand Forks all my life and am moving to East Side. I plan to continue to hunt in North Dakota till the day I die, but wow, the regulations are harsh. Deer tags I can understand but as far as small game and bird hunting in general, wow. You pay $85 dollars for either a 14 day period or two seven day periods. What the hell is up with that? Not even an option to hunt the whole year without paying out of my ass... I guess besides any comments like, well its your fault you moved, I'm wondering what other people have payed nonresident fees and what they think about this or what they have done to continue to hunt in North Dakota. I almost feel since it is Grand Forks/ East Grand forks there should be some sort of conjoining laws or discounts since we are on the border. If I live in Minneapolis then of course thats different (maybe?) but being our location and cities are basically together, shouldn't the regulations be a little less harsh? I guess Im looking for a legit conversation on the matter. Thanks for whoever posts. :)

NONRESIDENT LICENSES

Deer – Firearms (18 & over) $140

Deer – Firearms

(youth ages 10-17) 13.00

Deer – Archery (18 & over) 140.00

Deer – Archery

(youth ages 10-17) 13.00

Deer – Muzzleloader (18 & over)

Deer – Muzzleloader

(youth ages 10-17) 13.00

Deer – Bonus Permit 68.50

Deer – Disease Management Permit 1.50

Bear 200.00

Small Game (age 18 or over) 84.50

Small Game (youth) 12.50

Wild Turkey 83.00

Sandhill crane permit 3.00

Wolf hunting 250.00

Furbearer Hunting (raccoon and bobcat) 160.00

Trapping (landowner only) 73.00

Wild Rice Harvest (One Day) 30.00

How does this compare to ND's non-resident fees?

Interesting timing to be moving from ND to Minnesota....I live in Fargo and have quite a few friends in Moorhead that are considering moving across the river to ND.

Also, nonresidents are prohibited from hunting PLOTS or other public lands the first weekend of pheasant season. I don't hunt waterfowl, so I don't know if this is the case for them as well.

I guess it's all about whether or not you feel it's worth the expense. I only hunt pheasants in ND opening weekend (private land), so some may say I'm crazy to pay $100 to shoot 6 birds; but the trip is more than just the birds. It's spending time with great friends that I've hunted with for 20 years. Holy moly...20 years already???

The small consolation is the resident MN fishing license if you're an avid angler! ;-)

Try not to kill any dogs while you are in God's country. Some a-hole mouthbreathing hunter shot our dog on our land on the opening day of deer season, last year.

In fact, you should buy or rent an x-box and play call of duty, instead of coming around to where I live and killing things and pretending you're a badass.

kthxbai :silly:

Having lived in MN and having a brother that lives in Minnesota that hunts here in ND and also in SD... It's a tough deal and it's expensive for nonresident license fees.

So hunt in Minnesota;)

I don't think they have as many ducks because a lot of the Minnesota Hunters are hunting over in ND. I know my Brother hunts ducks in Minnesota and a sub-par to mediocre hunt in North Dakota seems to satisfy them. SD hunting licenses for Pheasants were 108.00 last time I hunted there. Ouch, I am sure they are more now.

Come on guys!

Are we really discussing 85 bucks to hunt 14 days?? I grew up in North Dakota, and have lived in the Minneapolis metro area for the past 23 years. I've hunted both Dakotas every year as a non-resident since 1990. If paying 6 bucks a day to hunt North Dakota is a budgetary stretch for someone, they have much bigger problems to worry about than a 6 dollar per day non-resident fee.

Not trying to be argumentative.......just sayin.

• Upvote 1

It is the people on the border who suffer. My father grew up in ND and hunted geese there for 20+ years. A number of years after moving to MN they changed the rules. The out of state fees and limited days eventually caused us to stop going there and we spend our hunting $$ eslswhere.

It would be the equivalent if MN put similar fees and limited days for out of state fishing. MN is smart enough to realize that they would rather have the tourism dollars.

I believe that North Dakota Game and Fish sets the fees the way they do in part to control the demand, and in part to take advantage of the demand. It is kind of like UND charging more for Minnesota hockey tickets than they do for Anchorage. Demand is high for hunting licenses, and they want to limit the number of hunters to control the harvest, so they charge significantly higher fees for out of state. They consider the available game a resource for state citizens first, so pricing is quite a bit lower for citizens. If Minnesota had concerns about the number of fish available they would either increase fees or limit days for out of state fishermen. From what I've heard, North Dakota is not lacking for hunters, both in state and out of state. The only demographic they have concerns about are young hunters because not nearly as many kids and young adults have gotten into hunting.

• Upvote 1

It does control the demand. As I said, my group quit spending our money in ND.

Hunters from the Twin Cities and other disant places don't care. They are only going once or twice anyway.

I bet the restaurant, bar and hotel owners would rather see more business, especially later in the season.

Most places seem to be full throughout the hunting season unless the weather gets in the way. Game and Fish would prefer to have enough game available for the existing hunters rather than throwing a bunch of extra people in the field to either drain the populations too much, or not get anything and decide that they don't want to come back in the future. It is a matter of balancing demand with availability. For example, they cut available deer licenses significantly this year because the numbers aren't available right now. Plus, with the oil and everything else going on in the state right now there aren't a lot of places where they are hurting for customers in the restaurant, bar and hotel business. Finding a place to stay can be a problem in most parts of the state.

Most places seem to be full throughout the hunting season unless the weather gets in the way. Game and Fish would prefer to have enough game available for the existing hunters rather than throwing a bunch of extra people in the field to either drain the populations too much, or not get anything and decide that they don't want to come back in the future. It is a matter of balancing demand with availability. For example, they cut available deer licenses significantly this year because the numbers aren't available right now. Plus, with the oil and everything else going on in the state right now there aren't a lot of places where they are hurting for customers in the restaurant, bar and hotel business. Finding a place to stay can be a problem in most parts of the state.

2 more great responces from 82Siouxguy. Were you an English major by chance?

Also, nonresidents are prohibited from hunting PLOTS or other public lands the first weekend of pheasant season. I don't hunt waterfowl, so I don't know if this is the case for them as well.

I guess it's all about whether or not you feel it's worth the expense. I only hunt pheasants in ND opening weekend (private land), so some may say I'm crazy to pay $100 to shoot 6 birds; but the trip is more than just the birds. It's spending time with great friends that I've hunted with for 20 years. Holy moly...20 years already???

The small consolation is the resident MN fishing license if you're an avid angler! ;-)

absolutely. Can't put a price on a good time and a pocket full of memories.

Come on guys!

Are we really discussing 85 bucks to hunt 14 days?? I grew up in North Dakota, and have lived in the Minneapolis metro area for the past 23 years. I've hunted both Dakotas every year as a non-resident since 1990. If paying 6 bucks a day to hunt North Dakota is a budgetary stretch for someone, they have much bigger problems to worry about than a 6 dollar per day non-resident fee.

Not trying to be argumentative.......just sayin.

I'd rather pay $200 to hunt the whole season honestly. I mean a 14 day spread isn't much unless you plan on taking time off work and hunting straight for two weeks. :/ Really it would be two saturdays and sundays for this guy then I'd be off spending another $85 for two more weekends after that. I'm not all out complaining about it I just wonder how they come up with the numbers and ideas like they do. I plan on hunting in ND forever.

NONRESIDENT LICENSES

Deer – Firearms (18 & over) $140

Deer – Firearms

(youth ages 10-17) 13.00

Deer – Archery (18 & over) 140.00

Deer – Archery

(youth ages 10-17) 13.00

Deer – Muzzleloader (18 & over)

Deer – Muzzleloader

(youth ages 10-17) 13.00

Deer – Bonus Permit 68.50

Deer – Disease Management Permit 1.50

Bear 200.00

Small Game (age 18 or over) 84.50

Small Game (youth) 12.50

Wild Turkey 83.00

Sandhill crane permit 3.00

Wolf hunting 250.00

Furbearer Hunting (raccoon and bobcat) 160.00

Trapping (landowner only) 73.00

Wild Rice Harvest (One Day) 30.00

How does this compare to ND's non-resident fees?

where did you get these numbers? I see they are $200 for deer tag nonresidents on the nd game and fish site

I'd rather pay $200 to hunt the whole season honestly. I mean a 14 day spread isn't much unless you plan on taking time off work and hunting straight for two weeks. :/ Really it would be two saturdays and sundays for this guy then I'd be off spending another $85 for two more weekends after that. I'm not all out complaining about it I just wonder how they come up with the numbers and ideas like they do. I plan on hunting in ND forever.

Like I mentioned earlier, it's a balancing act for Game and Fish. They are trying to balance demand for the licenses and harvest of the game while maximizing the dollars coming in and also giving state residents the most benefit. As a non-resident, you rank lower on their priority list. They've developed their pricing and policies over a period of years.

$100 for two 7 day periods to hunt pheasants (no duck stamp)...very comparable to skiing in that I pay a small amount for a local pass while tourists pay out of their a$$...chairlifts are built by tourists while conservation is paid for by non-resident hunters.