SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Video Quality Issues?

BigChief

it's a hell of a lot better than Midco, kind of like Bud Light Lime being a premium beer over say some beer from Wisconsin. :)

Watch your language.

By the way, I found the perfect YouTube video to describe your precious Bud Light Lime, but I don't dare to post it on here. It might offend some. :D

• Upvote 1

Which is better Dish or Direct? Or is it personal preference?

I have DirecTV and love it. In fact, I recently switched ISPs to Charter and refused to get their cable TV because they just don't offer the depth of sports programming DirecTV can. Also, when considering the switch I called DirecTV and they adjusted my monthly bill to be competitive with the Charter promo. Case closed. I think for sports programming - if you want as much available to you as possible - DirecTV is the way to go. Maybe others with Dish can chime in, but with the sports package in DirecTV you have access to a lot more regional sports networks.

I also like the user interface with DirecTV better than dish. We have had dish at the lake for a few years and it just doesn't flow as smoothly. I guess the new "hopper" dvr for Dish is probably different, but I haven't used it so I can't comment on it. I do like the interface on DirecTV's HD-DVRs.

Overall, in my opinion the customer service, interface, and depth of sports programming on DirecTV is superior to the competitors. It's not the cheapest, but I believe someone posted earlier that you get what you pay for. Consider me a satisfied DirecTV customer.

I have DirecTV and love it. In fact, I recently switched ISPs to Charter and refused to get their cable TV because they just don't offer the depth of sports programming DirecTV can. Also, when considering the switch I called DirecTV and they adjusted my monthly bill to be competitive with the Charter promo. Case closed. I think for sports programming - if you want as much available to you as possible - DirecTV is the way to go. Maybe others with Dish can chime in, but with the sports package in DirecTV you have access to a lot more regional sports networks.

I also like the user interface with DirecTV better than dish. We have had dish at the lake for a few years and it just doesn't flow as smoothly. I guess the new "hopper" dvr for Dish is probably different, but I haven't used it so I can't comment on it. I do like the interface on DirecTV's HD-DVRs.

Overall, in my opinion the customer service, interface, and depth of sports programming on DirecTV is superior to the competitors. It's not the cheapest, but I believe someone posted earlier that you get what you pay for. Consider me a satisfied DirecTV customer.

Thank you for your insight.

I have dish, and the new hopper/joey receivers are excellent, looks like directv now has competed with a genie, but the directv receivers cost is more/month than the hopper/joeys. I quit directv primarily because of the constantly rising prices, and especially, the absence of local networks in my area (dish had them several years ago, directv may have them now, not sure). Sports add-ons are similar for the two providers, except, dish does not have FCS, so no Sioux hockey on dish this season.

but the directv receivers cost is more/month than the hopper/joeys.

Dish

$10 for DVR & whole home fee + $7 per Joey

Directv

$10 for DVR & whole home fee + $6 per client (C31)

they must do some fuzzy math there in ND ;)

I quit directv primarily because of the constantly rising prices, and especially, the absence of local networks in my area (dish had them several years ago, directv may have them now, not sure). Sports add-ons are similar for the two providers, except, dish does not have FCS, so no Sioux hockey on dish this season.

Directv carries both Fargo/GF and the Western ND cluster in HD now

Directv

$10 for DVR & whole home fee + $6 per client (C31)

they must do some fuzzy math there in ND ;)

Not fuzzy here, maybe in MN. Directv gives you super low prices for 1 year, or for some things, 2 years, then dings you big time. The genie/client combo is actually $26 after 2 years. If one wants a two year deal at a low price and then drops the service, directv is a good way to go. For long term, not so much.

The hopper/joey price you listed is the price, not a starting price with hidden future increases.

Directv's FCS is the deal breaker for Sioux fans, but that's for this year only. If either dish or directv adds midcosportsnet next year, they'll probably get my business.

• Upvote 1

Not fuzzy here, maybe in MN. Directv gives you super low prices for 1 year, or for some things, 2 years, then dings you big time. The genie/client combo is actually $26 after 2 years. If one wants a two year deal at a low price and then drops the service, directv is a good way to go. For long term, not so much.

The hopper/joey price you listed is the price, not a starting price with hidden future increases.

Directv's FCS is the deal breaker for Sioux fans, but that's for this year only. If either dish or directv adds midcosportsnet next year, they'll probably get my business.

If directv did add Midcosportsnet I wonder if it would be just part of the local cluster or if it would be in the 600's and become available as part of the sports package?

After seeing the midcosportsnet quality of broadcast so far this year, I'd be shocked if they get a deal done with dish or direct

I'd be shocked as well if either adds midcosportsnet. All we can do is bombard the two with requests to add it, but I can't see it happening.