SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

Now that is being realistic fans. How many fans would say that another school has been the top dog for the last 10 years? The idiot rodent fans would claim they are the best, though we and everyone else knows they are not. Comments like these shows what it takes to be the best fans in the land.

Right now BC is clearly the best but not historically. Minnesota, UND, and Michigan in any order are the three best programs of all time IMO.

Right now BC is clearly the best but not historically. Minnesota, UND, and Michigan in any order are the three best programs of all time IMO.

MN produces the most kids....it does not have the best program (top 5 I mean). It should be up there but it isn't. They have historically not built the right teams...as far as makeup. They should always be great...but they're not. I believe they are a very good team this year....but the past ten years I would not say so (can't remember which years they went back to back). After those Nat'l titles their teams were always under-achieving. After Pots and irmen left they were not even making the post-season or were losing the first game. With the stock pile of kids they have in that state that play hockey there is no reason they don't compete every single year.

MN produces the most kids....it does not have the best program (top 5 I mean). It should be up there but it isn't. They have historically not built the right teams...as far as makeup. They should always be great...but they're not. I believe they are a very good team this year....but the past ten years I would not say so (can't remember which years they went back to back). After those Nat'l titles their teams were always under-achieving. After Pots and irmen left they were not even making the post-season or were losing the first game. With the stock pile of kids they have in that state that play hockey there is no reason they don't compete every single year.

I have to ask, how old are you? The last ten years is not the entire history of college hockey. Minnesota is EASILY a top 3 program all time if not #1.

9 > 7 > 6 > 5

(Michigan, NoDak/Denver, Wisco, Minny/BC/BU)

It's funny that you think its that simple. If you actually look back at the history of Minnesota, UW, and DU there is no argument that the Gophers are far ahead of those two programs all time.

BTW, Minnesota has a winning record against all 6 programs you just listed except BU where it is .500

how you want to rank the best programs depends on what your criteria are. nat titles? frozen four appearances? conference championships? ncaa tournament appearances? if you uses all of these mich,und and minny are all right there with the edge going to mich as the number one.

how you want to rank the best programs depends on what your criteria are. nat titles? frozen four appearances? conference championships? ncaa tournament appearances? if you uses all of these mich,und and minny are all right there with the edge going to mich as the number one.

All those categories you mentioned need to be taken into account. I would add NCAA tourney wins and the all time wins in the history of the sport as well.

How so? I think the final measuring stick is national titles.

Are you aware that Minnesota is 157-87 all time against UW? That is total domination throughout the history of the two programs. And you would rank UW higher simply because they have one more title in a quirky single elimination format?

Are you aware that Minnesota is 157-87 all time against UW? That is total domination throughout the history of the two programs. And you would rank UW higher simply because they have one more title in a quirky single elimination format?

Isn't this debate in regards to the best programs in the last 10 years?? I think then when you are trying to decode who's 2-5 you then bring in overall NCAA titles to help with the arguments. Nobody's asking what the all time records are vs each other as that's irrelevant in this specific debate.

BC

UND/DU/UM

MICH/UW

BU

MIAMI

Great topic!!

Only because that "quirky single elimination format" is the ultimate goal!

Funny how goof fans always bring up total wins for a measuring stick, even though they were formed many years before the others being talked about. How about total wins since all teams considered were playing?

• Upvote 1

All those categories you mentioned need to be taken into account. I would add NCAA tourney wins and the all time wins in the history of the sport as well.

This is what I was hoping you wouldn't post. Many gopher fans use this. Many of your program's wins in the early days were when there were only a handful of teams playing the sport. MN had a program before many others.

Edit: I see bigskyvikes made the same point above my post.

• Upvote 1

This is what I was hoping you wouldn't post. Many gopher fans use this. Many of your program's wins in the early days were when there were only a handful of teams playing the sport. MN had a program before many others.

Edit: I see bigskyvikes made the same point above my post.

and the same could go for michigan as they won the majority of their nat. titles in the very early years of the sport.

I have to ask, how old are you? The last ten years is not the entire history of college hockey. Minnesota is EASILY a top 3 program all time if not #1.

My age doesn't matter....I was talking about the past ten years. If MN were easily top 3 they would have more national titles.

A blend of all things you mentioned...and if indeed MN's blended totals are top 3 I will change my stance on them.

Criteria....

Records

Conference records

Tourney appearenes

National titles

Pros produced

All go into the conversation,

Then set a frame of time.

If we are talking 70s then no UND isn't in the top our

But the PAST TEN years is the time frame.

1: BC It just is what it is.

2: UND

3: Michigan

Minnesota doesnt make the cut...

Now if we throw in to the criteria,

Throwing limp wristed punches from behind officials, diving , and blond hair dye well then they can be considerd.

Toss in whining and they go #1, or counting hundreds of wins over amateur town teams in in the 1800s

Criteria....

Records

Conference records

Tourney appearenes

National titles

Pros produced

All go into the conversation,

Then set a frame of time.

If we are talking 70s then no UND isn't in the top our

But the PAST TEN years is the time frame.

1: BC It just is what it is.

2: UND

3: Michigan

Minnesota doesnt make the cut...

Now if we throw in to the criteria,

Throwing limp wristed punches from behind officials, diving , and blond hair dye well then they can be considerd.

Toss in whining and they go #1, or counting hundreds of wins over amateur town teams in in the 1800s

Haha I like it. My great grandfather played for one of those amateur teams in the early 1900s and they actually used to beat und quite consistently.

My age doesn't matter....I was talking about the past ten years. If MN were easily top 3 they would have more national titles.

I didnt realize we were only talking the last ten years but that would include 2 NCAA Titles for Minnesota so explain how UND with zero in that same time frame should be ranked higher.

I didnt realize we were only talking the last ten years but that would include 2 NCAA Titles for Minnesota so explain how UND with zero in that same time frame should be ranked higher.

Use your fingers to count back 10 seasons and you will realize that the gophers only have one national title in the last 10 years.

But according to everyone on this site the final measuring stick is NCAA titles. Or is that only when that argument benefits UND?

Well North Dakota has 7 titles and Minnesota has 5 titles, also since Minnesota has only made it to the Frozen Four twice in that same strech North Dakota has been in the Frozen Four 5 years.

Well North Dakota has 7 titles and Minnesota has 5 titles, also since Minnesota has only made it to the Frozen Four twice in that same strech North Dakota has been in the Frozen Four 5 years.

Oh so now were back to all time as opposed to the last ten years. Make up your mind.

Oh so now were back to all time as opposed to the last ten years. Make up your mind.

I went back to the last time Minnesota made the Frozen Four after they won their 5th title that was the 2004-05 season and again in the 20011-12 season. Now lets start from the 2003-04 season Minnesota made the NCAA tournament 6 times and of those 6 NCAA tournaments, Minnesota made the Fozen Four twice. From the 2003-04 season North Dakota has made the NCAA tournament 9 times and in those 9 NCAA tournaments North Dakota was in the Froze Four 5 times and made it to the title game once.

• Upvote 1