SiouxSports.com Forum

captains suspended

theisdog

From the Herald article:

Evidently Faison and Hak did not view it the same way as Forbort did. Was Forbort even asked about hazing or did he bring it up? When someone brings something up without being asked they usually are covering up something wrong that they had done. How come it seems the only people that were that drunk were freshmen newbies? Faison and Hak know what happened and the possible problems it would create with the NCAA and made the smart move and got out in front. I wonder if the self-reported this to the NCAA? Always less penalties when you tell on yourself.

Agree...leaves some questions as to the leadership and character within the locker room to start the year. Would have expected more from the likes of Mac, Knight and Rowney. Unacceptable to leave teammates to basically fend for themselves in those conditions.

Forbort was quoted as saying it was a party that just got out of hand...not a valid excuse IMO.

If Forbort was there, how were the freshies fending for themselves? I get what you're saying about the captains, just questioning the fending for themselves comment.

If Forbort was there, how were the freshies fending for themselves? I get what you're saying about the captains, just questioning the fending for themselves comment.

Forbert was not around when the RA called 911 or when the police officer arrived. The freshies were alone in their rooms where they had been left. Forbert and some other players showed up in the hallway to see what was going on.

Derek Forbort, a junior, and other older members of the team gathered in the hallway to find out what was happening, Sevigny said. Told that another officer was trying to call Athletic Director Brian Faison, Forbort asked why he “had to contact Faison.”

It sounds like Chyzyk's girlfriend was there to keep an eye on at least Bryn since someone told me that dorm is a men's only dorm so she didn't just happen to be there. Good for her, if true.

How does the guy quoted in the police report avoid a suspension? I don't want to pile on or anything but that is weird to me.

thanks for clearing that up.

So if anotehr sioux player called there would be no legal issues?

I don't believe so...there wouldn't have been citations against that player. But underage drinking still would have been cited....at least the way I read it. I copied that text from the Code of Student Life and then read that section in the Century Code, but I could have been reading it wrong.

It sounds like Chyzyk's girlfriend was there to keep an eye on at least Bryn since someone told me that dorm is a men's only dorm so she didn't just happen to be there. Good for her, if true.

How does the guy quoted in the police report avoid a suspension? I don't want to pile on or anything but that is weird to me.

I am not sure which guy you are referring to, but that might be what gfhockey was asking about with the Medical Amnesty Act. I posted the text of it on page 14.

I don't see why Forbort should be suspended?

I don't see why Forbort should be suspended?

I don't want to betray any confidences, so, going strictly from the article:

"Older team members were carrying in obviously intoxicated freshmen."

"Garfield said, 'a few of the hockey members told me they have it taken care of and I should just go back to doing what I was doing.'"

"Derek Forbort, a junior, and other older members of the team gathered in the hallway to find out what was happening."

Captains are suspended as well as 3 other members of the team who are "older." Who would the "older team members" be if not the guys suspended? So then, why them and not Forbs?

TNT, I don't believe the article implies that Forbs et al showed up later after being summoned. If you know from another source he wasn't there/carrying the guys in, then ok, gotcha.

I didn't think of this til later, but considering the state the guys who weren't taken to the hospital were in, it's kind of scary to think what shape Caggiula was in.

Derek Forbort, a junior, and other older members of the team gathered in the hallway to find out what was happening, Sevigny said. Told that another officer was trying to call Athletic Director Brian Faison, Forbort asked why he “had to contact Faison.”

When did "they" gather in the hallway? There's no timeline given other than the series of events starting about 8 pm.

And there's nothing about being "summoned". It says "they" (who is "they" because the article doesn't define it) gathered to see what was happening.

Forbort is 20. He talked directly to a cop. Think about that and then think that he didn't get cited for minor consuming like the freshmen did.

When did "they" gather in the hallway? There's no timeline given other than the series of events starting about 8 pm.

And there's nothing about being "summoned". It says "they" (who is "they" because the article doesn't define it) gathered to see what was happening.

Forbort is 20. He talked directly to a cop. Think about that and then think that he didn't get cited for minor consuming like the freshmen did.

Probably when they saw their building surrounded by flashing red lights and sirens? :whistling:

Probably when they saw their building surrounded by flashing red lights and sirens? :whistling:

Upperclassmen players live in the dorms? Specifically, juniors?

I can't respond to Sicatoka without saying stuff that's not public knowledge. However, the freshmen weren't carried in by no one. The article states they were carried in by other older players. Players were already there when the 911 call was made. Unless you're implying that those players left and new players arrived. If they weren't there from the start, they wouldn't know to be there unless "summoned" or unless they lived in the dorms and heard the noise. I guess there are many sophomores and occasional juniors that live on campus but it seems highly unlikely that all of these "older players" do. Let's not be silly and act like these guys just instinctively knew there was a problem and showed up after the police were called.

Anyway, I'm still looking askance at parts of the situation but ultimately I don't really care beyond my relief no one was seriously injured or died.

... and it doesn't help that parts of our society condone this and even take advantage of it by throwing "blackout" parties to make a buck. That might even be more disturbing because they are mature adults with an understanding of the consequences of that type of behavior. True, that doesn't happen around here, and hopefully being proactive against any kind of that behavior by the administration and other responsible adults, we never have to witness it in this area. Maybe that is wishful thinking, what with the attitude of some that if they do it in New York, it must be cool.

I've partied in Grand Forks and Fargo enough times and been to "blacklight" parties in both places. I have never heard of a blackout party. Are you sure you don't have the two things mixed up?

Yes, I've known sophomores and juniors on the hockey team to live in Walsh. And yes, word spread pretty quickly when there are emergency vehicles outside (and cops inside) Walsh Hall.

"dogs", please remember that what the Herald article says is fractionally true, what the police report says is fractionally true, what you heard from your sources is fractionally true.

Rather than trying to piece together the whole story from all the fractions I'll trust Brian Faison. He dropped the hammer on four captains and three other players. Faison tapped the whole team with his hammer too. I'm going to believe Faison didn't accidentally miss Forbort.

• Upvote 1