SiouxSports.com Forum

Capital project requests 2013-15

The Sicatoka

Chapman reincarnated!

This neanderthal is worse than Chapman. This is what this new Chancellor is all about. He already demanded the offices in Bismarck be remodeled. He was accused of harrassment of employees in Ca. before he arrived here and harassed his staff in Bismarck after he arrived . Google his name and his problems he had in California will come up. He has a history of bullying his staff and if they don't submit to his bullying, he gets rid of them. Don't forget Chapman couldn't have caused the damage he did at NDSU without Paulsen's approval. Paulsen enabled Chapman to do what he did resulting in the resignation of 2 very good chancellors and 2 very medicore chancellors after Potts.

Espegard is as bad if not worse. When the boards former attorney counseled Shirvani they couldn't hold private meetings with a quorum of the board because it is a violation of the law, Shirvani screamed at him that he had that authority. That resulted in the resignation of the board's attorney and Espegard didn't have the courage to stick up for the attorney who had been with the board for almost 20 years. Had Espegard fulfilled his responsibility to the state of N. Dak. and made sure the board was overseeing the operations in Dickinson they could have prevented that fiasco. Espegard has proven to be no friend of the University of North Dakota, and the bullying of Kelly over this office space should not be tolerated. The office of the Chancellor belongs in Bismarck where the legislature is. The last thing UND needs is a dishonest, unethical Chancellor looking over the shoulder of UND officials. The first thing we need is for Espegard to be removed from the board. I met Espegard almost 20 years ago. I knew he wasn't very bright. I now know him to lack courage and ethics as well. Shirvani is more dangerous than the recent mediocore chancellors, because it won't be imcompetence that we deal with it, will be misuse of the athority byShirvani who with the support of Espegard has no regard for the law and no regard for the people of the state of North Dakota. Shirvani looks upon us as the uneducated hicks and he is the all knowing East Coast educated PhD. here to set us straight. He will surround himself with his own "yes people" and he will surround himself with lavish offices, furnishings and he will travel well at the expense of the N. Dak. taxpayers. Hrd to understand why soemone from the Hearld, Forum, or Bismarck Tribune doesn't Google his name and research this guy starting with former staff in California. The harassment suit there was settled out of court. He also tried to bully students at his previous campus when they discovered inequities in his administration. Don't have to look to hard to get the real story on this guy.

That is the way I read it too. But wouldn't one have have a bachelors degree in order to get into Graduate school at Wisconsin?

I was focusing on the word "attended" UND and the Wisconsin program, whereas he actually got a degree from Aaker's. It would be interesting to know the real story there.

EDIT: I just checked my 2005 UND alumni directory, and FWIW Espegard apparently has no degree from UND, which would seem to support the "attended" vs. "graduated" distinction.

Espegard is as bad if not worse. When the boards former attorney counseled Shirvani they couldn't hold private meetings with a quorum of the board because it is a violation of the law, Shirvani screamed at him that he had that authority. That resulted in the resignation of the board's attorney and Espegard didn't have the courage to stick up for the attorney who had been with the board for almost 20 years. Had Espegard fulfilled his responsibility to the state of N. Dak. and made sure the board was overseeing the operations in Dickinson they could have prevented that fiasco. Espegard has proven to be no friend of the University of North Dakota, and the bullying of Kelly over this office space should not be tolerated. The office of the Chancellor belongs in Bismarck where the legislature is. The last thing UND needs is a dishonest, unethical Chancellor looking over the shoulder of UND officials. The first thing we need is for Espegard to be removed from the board. I met Espegard almost 20 years ago. I knew he wasn't very bright. I now know him to lack courage and ethics as well. Shirvani is more dangerous than the recent mediocore chancellors, because it won't be imcompetence that we deal with it, will be misuse of the athority byShirvani who with the support of Espegard has no regard for the law and no regard for the people of the state of North Dakota. Shirvani looks upon us as the uneducated hicks and he is the all knowing East Coast educated PhD. here to set us straight. He will surround himself with his own "yes people" and he will surround himself with lavish offices, furnishings and he will travel well at the expense of the N. Dak. taxpayers. Hrd to understand why soemone from the Hearld, Forum, or Bismarck Tribune doesn't Google his name and research this guy starting with former staff in California. The harassment suit there was settled out of court. He also tried to bully students at his previous campus when they discovered inequities in his administration. Don't have to look to hard to get the real story on this guy.

I don't think Espegard is corrupt, he's just in over his head and has drank the Shirvani kool-aid. The SBHE went all in on Shirvani and they can't be seen backtracking on the choice or it will help fuel a legislative takeover of higher ed. The board attorney's resignation wasn't really his choice, Shirvani wasn't going to let him stay nor will let most of the staff remain in the system office for long. He feels he was brought in to clean house so that's what he's going to do. Shirvani definitely thought that he was going to be coming in to North Dakota and taking control of everything and everybody would bow down to him. Now that the legislature isn't giving him everything he wants he is starting to fall apart. Although I agreed with many of his ideas and I'd like to see a "unified" system of higher ed, the way he's trying to implement his ideas is terrible. At this point I just hope he doesn't cause permanent damage to UND.

I don't think Espegard is corrupt, he's just in over his head and has drank the Shirvani kool-aid. The SBHE went all in on Shirvani and they can't be seen backtracking on the choice or it will help fuel a legislative takeover of higher ed. The board attorney's resignation wasn't really his choice, Shirvani wasn't going to let him stay nor will let most of the staff remain in the system office for long. He feels he was brought in to clean house so that's what he's going to do. Shirvani definitely thought that he was going to be coming in to North Dakota and taking control of everything and everybody would bow down to him. Now that the legislature isn't giving him everything he wants he is starting to fall apart. Although I agreed with many of his ideas and I'd like to see a "unified" system of higher ed, the way he's trying to implement his ideas is terrible. At this point I just hope he doesn't cause permanent damage to UND.

You make good points and I believe you are correct in that the board will be reluctant to fix this problem because it will make them look bad. I don't believe Espegard is corrupt. I agree he is in over his head and I don't believe he is a friend to UND. I believe Shrivani is unethical and I believe he will continue to abuse his power and be abusive until someone moves him along. The sooner the better. His ideas about combining higher ed are not all bad but certainly leave out some keys issues that need to be solved.

Kudos to you for having the guts to post here. You were getting ripped pretty good on here during the nickname/logo soap opera. I don't always agree with you, but I welcome your input here.

Ha, well, if you've ever seen my own comments section you know I'm pretty inured to getting "ripped." But I believe in open forums. I take strong and often provocative positions on controversial topics. If I'm going to give the public my two cents, I think they should be allowed to give me their two cents.

That's the standard I hold myself to. And hey, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the nickname thing. It's over now, for better or worse. Water under the bridge.

• Upvote 1

mg is a bison fan so you can probably understand why he doesn't like you and your campaign to make people remember how corrupt they are

if i hate UND so much, then why do i keep getting degrees from here? :silly:

Sorry for deviating from the officially sanctioned party line.

For those who know how these things work: Is this going to happen? Can we say that Shirvani is outta here?

Way too early to know for sure. The legislature can't tell the State Board of Higher Education who to hire or fire, and there is no guarantee that it is going to pass the legislature anyway. Putting extra funds in the budget for that specific purpose would make it easier if the SBoHE decided they wanted to get rid of him. It may also convince him to look elsewhere.

For those who know how these things work: Is this going to happen? Can we say that Shirvani is outta here?

I'd put it at around 85% chance he doesn't make it past June 30, 2013. The one thing that people against getting rid of him will point out is the fact that Grindberg is a Bresciani/NDSU lackey. People complain that the university system office doesn't keep the campuses in check and then they complain when the university system office tries to place limits on the campuses. There's a very fine line that must be walked and it looks like Shirvani wasn't aware of it or just didn't care. The SBoHE made a move of desperation in hiring him in order to get a stronger chancellor, but now it looks like we've gone from an incredibly weak chancellor to a tyrant. The SBoHE needs to find someone closer to the middle and perhaps someone homegrown (raised in ND) who actually cares about the state.

• Upvote 1