SiouxSports.com Forum

Oregon Board of Education votes to ban Native American mascots

darell1976

I'm glad you mentioned the Sabres. When they went to the red and black color scheme it was as if the old Sabres ceased to exist. I'm glad they came to their senses and brought back the proper Buffalo Sabres colors.

Ok. This is officially a bit. There's not a chance in hell a person can say this to themselves enough times to actually believe it.

Ok. This is officially a bit. There's not a chance in hell a person can say this to themselves enough times to actually believe it.

I believe that he is really that delusional. He has been consistent in his delusion over the years.

I was using delusion as a collective. His entire world seems to be a delusion, with everything based on his wants and needs rather than reality and the greater good.

I've heard of those guys.

They're called "dictators". Or "tyrants".

There is no conundrum. While the Penguins did reinvent the look of their franchise in 1980 at least they kept the logo the same (a logo which already had black and gold in it, by the way, which made the color change seem natural). When you saw them take the ice in their new colors you knew immediately that they were the Penguins based on that very familiar skating pengiun skating across the triangle logo. When the Sabres changed their logo and their colors at the same time they looked absolutely nothing like the product that had put on the ice the previous year. They were unrecognizable.

Wow.

• Upvote 1

There is no conundrum. While the Penguins did reinvent the look of their franchise in 1980 at least they kept the logo the same (a logo which already had black and gold in it, by the way, which made the color change seem natural). When you saw them take the ice in their new colors you knew immediately that they were the Penguins based on that very familiar skating pengiun skating across the triangle logo. When the Sabres changed their logo and their colors at the same time they looked absolutely nothing like the product that had put on the ice the previous year. They were unrecognizable.

so when the hockey team came out wearing the exact same color scheme, representing the exact same school, that wasn't recognizable enough for you? seriously, if you can't get help at prairie, please get help somewhere else, like an island in the middle of an ocean.

As we can all see, Dave changes his rules as he needs to in order to believe he is right. Let's see if I can get this right. Changing the nickname means the team no longer exists. Changing the team colors means the team no longer exists. Changing the team colors is okay as long as the logo stays the same. Changing the logo means the team no longer exists. Changing the logo is fine as long as it is somewhat similar to the previous logo and the colors stay the same.

The bottom line for Dave seems to be that he is easily confusable, so he can't stand if one of his teams makes too big a change. His problem with UND changing the nickname and logo is because he wouldn't recognize the University of North Dakota and wouldn't know who to root for. Either that or he is selfish and can't stand it if he doesn't have everything the way he wants.

http://boards.sports...m-name-changes/

Yeah, I'm the only person who thinks a different nickname = different team. :silly:

Have fun wiping all that egg off your face, asshat!!! :lol:

• Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Community

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10342] We could not determine which forum this topic is in.

You are not signed in

key.pngClick here to log in.

That's what I get when I click on the link. That really doesn't prove much. And nice language, too.

I never said changing the logo means the team no longer exists, I said changing the name means the team no longer exists. Changing the logo and/or colors reinvents the product, but only a name change means the team of the previous name is dead and gone. The bottom line is that, unike children and simple minded fools such as yourself, I don't hold myself to absolute rules of always or never. I judge each individual scenario on a case by case basis. It's a matter of personal perception and can be extremely subjective. I'd try to explain it to you if I had more confidence in your ability to comprehend.

You should be on Dancing with the Stars. You dance around these issues like no one else. Of course, no one knows who you are so you really wouldn't classify as a star. Dave, you have no credibility with anyone on this board, or anyone else that stops to read the board. In the past you said that you were disgusted by people that want to change the nickname. Why don't you take it easy on yourself and not subject yourself to the constant disgust.
  • Upvote 1

You should be on Dancing with the Stars. You dance around these issues like no one else. Of course, no one knows who you are so you really wouldn't classify as a star. Dave, you have no credibility with anyone on this board, or anyone else that stops to read the board. In the past you said that you were disgusted by people that want to change the nickname. Why don't you take it easy on yourself and not subject yourself to the constant disgust.

He has to keep posting or else they can't have their "Preposterous Statements" tournament on Bisonville, Dave had many zingers in this years edition.

He has to keep posting or else they can't have their "Preposterous Statements" tournament on Bisonville, Dave had many zingers in this years edition.

Do they call it the DaveK Preposterous Statement Tournament? If they don't, they should.

Do they call it the DaveK Preposterous Statement Tournament? If they don't, they should.

No but he does have his own Region, along with Rob Port, Al Carlson, and I can't remember who the fourth one was.

Pretty funny stuff actually.

Really?

So then why the absolute stance of always "Fighting Sioux".

There is no absolute with Dave, he always has to have a way to get out. So there is probably an out for the Fighting Sioux nickname also. I would be shocked if he went away when the nickname is retired. He will still claim to be a fan of UND, and probably say it is OK because they didn't change the colors at the same time.

No but he does have his own Region, along with Rob Port, Al Carlson, and I can't remember who the fourth one was.

Pretty funny stuff actually.

Lakes must have something named after him in the tournament. He is the only one that might outrank Dave.

Lakes must have something named after him in the tournament. He is the only one that might outrank Dave.

Surprisingly he doesn't, but even though he has been banned for a while they still dig up a few rants from other message boards, he's as nuts as ever.

I think Frank Burggraf was the 4th region.

Once in a while I check out their 'FCS News From Other Schools' thread, but stumbled onto the Tournament under 'Smack Talk' and got a good laugh out of it. Of course quite a bit of it is UND-based, but they hammer their own guys too so it's pretty good.

Oh, you're not signed in. How convenient. :silly:

Well, there are people voting both ways in that poll which proves wrong your incredibly ludicrous claim that I'm the only person in the world to think that different nickname = different team. You asked for proof and I provided it. I can't help it if you're too lazy to register to read that board (or maybe just too dumb to figure out how).

Why would I register to read a board for delusional people? I'm not going to help support the insanity. So I was wrong, there are 6 or 10 of you that are that insane instead of just you. Congratulations, you aren't alone. You are just in a super-minority.

Here is a tribes reply on this issue in Oregon. Just like the NCAA did not listen to Native Americans, Oregons political people thought they knew what was best for the tribes. Very sad, but I guess we have seen this before.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/05/two_tribes_call_state_board_of.html

The problem is that the issue is very divisive. People just disagree on the issue. Did you read the entire article? The board studyed the issue for 6 years before making a ruling. Only 3 tribes in Oregon, out of 9 in the state, responded when the board was studying the issue. The 2 tribes that are against the policy now did not respond during the study. However, the 3 tribes that did respond were in favor of the ban.

Of the state's nine recognized tribes, Frank said just three weighed in the proposed rule. The Confederated Tribes of Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siuslaw Indians wrote to the board in support of the rule.

"I think in general the idea that Native American names are being singled out as mascots is not a good thing," said tribal chairman Bob Garcia. "I know that I have listened to impassioned reports by individual Native Americans that were offended at the way they were being portrayed."

The Oregon Indian Education Association, one of the main proponents of the new rule, declined to comment on the Siletz statement. Se-ah-dom Edmo, the group's representative on this issue, has previously noted that the National Congress of American Indians, which bills itself as the oldest, largest and most representative organization in the U.S., has passed a resolution against the practice of using Native-themed mascots. The National Indian Education Association released its own statement Tuesday lauding the board's actions.

The issue of Native-themed mascots extends well past Oregon. Nationally discussion about the issue has been happening for decades. The National Congress of American Indians estimates that there are fewer than 1,000 such mascots left nationwide.

There is no way to satisfy everyone. So the easiest solution is to just eliminate the irritant. But saying that the Oregon board didn't listen to tribes is a false statement.
  • Upvote 1