SiouxSports.com Forum

Oregon Board of Education votes to ban Native American mascots

darell1976

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/361311/

The Oregon Board of Education, in possibly the most far-reaching regulation of its kind in the country, has voted to ban Native American mascots at schools across Oregon.

The measure will force at least 15 schools across the state to abandon the various chieftains, feathered horsemen and bow-and-arrow-wielding warriors that have adorned basketball backboards, gym floors and lockers for decades or longer. Schools that fail to make the change risk a loss of state funding.

Schools such as the Molalla Indians and the Rogue River Chieftains have said they have positive relations with tribes in their districts and in some cases intend the mascots as tributes. The symbols have become community traditions and changing them at a time of tight public budgets could be expensive, they argued.

“A lot of people just felt it was community tradition and community pride, and they felt that they were honoring Native Americans by having them as a mascot,” state board of education spokeswoman Christine Miles said.

She said several schools expressed concern that the ban could also affect displays of Native American artists or such artifacts as totem poles.

“That’s not the case,” she said. “We’re saying, please continue to embrace our Native American culture – it’s part of our history – but to use it as a mascot is not OK.”

I wonder if they (State of Oregon) would allow schools like Alcorn State or UND who are on nickname sanctions to play Oregon teams?

The Oregon Board of Education (primary and secondary schools) just did this.

Higher education in Oregon (...cough...Portland State...cough-cough) will notice at some point as well.

They said the only other state to do this is Wisconsin...doesn't Wisconsin (as in Badgers) have a policy on not playing teams with NA nicknames. Funny how that works. I can see Portland, Portland State, Oregon, and Oregon State doing this as well.

The Oregon Board of Education is responsible for the elementary through high schools. The Oregon Board of Higher Education is responsible for the universities. Still, I'd view this as a step towards eventual statewide bans at the University level also. Once one domino falls, others are likely to follow....

• Upvote 1

They said the only other state to do this is Wisconsin...doesn't Wisconsin (as in Badgers) have a policy on not playing teams with NA nicknames. Funny how that works. I can see Portland, Portland State, Oregon, and Oregon State doing this as well.

I think that Wisconsin just said they had to review their nickname if they receive complains.

Menomonee Falls continues to use the name "Indians".

http://www.menomoneefallsnow.com/sports/sports-wrapups-jan-16-9f3q6kj-137444743.html#!page=0&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

But, I have read they are considering a change...not sure if and when it goes into effect. Their school paper and school website doesn't seem to have any use of the word, "Indians" when describing their sports teams.

http://www.menomoneefallsnow.com/news/107000233.html#!page=7&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

From 1988:

Minnesota State Board of Education adopts a resolution stating that "[t]he use of mascots, emblems, or symbols depicting American Indian culture or race (is) unacceptable" and encourages all districts to immediately proceed to remove such mascots, etc.

Public Schools in Wisconsin begin to change their American Indian related sports team logos, mascots and nicknames. In 1994 the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction issued a directive "strongly urging" schools to change nicknames. As of 1998, 21 schools, almost one-third of the total using such icons, had changed so far. In 2010 Wisconsin passed a state law allowing residents to file a challenge to Native American nicknames and the Department of Instruction holds a hearing to see if a local tribe has given consent.

In 1991:

The Nebraska Commission on Indian Affairs requests 27 public schools in that state to end their use of American Indian mascots and nicknames.

The National Education Association (NEA), the largest democratic education organization of its kind in the world, passes resolutions in two consecutive years (1991/92) denouncing the use of ethnic related sports team mascots, symbols and nicknames. Another resolution was passed in 2001 reaffirming the 91/92 resolutions.

In 1998:

The Kansas Association for Native American Education (KANAE) issues a resolution that "...calls for the elimination of use of American Indian mascots and logos in all public and private schools in the State of Kansas..."

New York State Education Department Commissioner directs his staff to undertake a statewide review of public schools using American Indian related sports team tokens.Finally, in 2001, taking action on an appeal that was filed five years earlier, the New York State Education Department calls for the retirement of institutionalized "Indian" sports team nicknames, mascots, and logos from its public schools.

In 2002:

New Hampshire State Board of Education unanimously approved a resolution calling for local school districts to stop using American Indian sports mascots.

In 2003:

The Michigan State Board of Education passes a resolution that "supports and strongly recommends the elimination of American Indian mascots, nicknames, logos, fight songs, insignias, antics, and team descriptors by all Michigan schools."

I also know that a ban was discussed in Colorado, but I don't know if that passed or not. The issue isn't going away any time soon.

Didn't Minnesota do something similar a few years ago?

The Minnesota State Board of Education passed a resolution back in 1988 (it's in my list). I believe that schools associated with reservations are not affected by the resolution.

The Minnesota State Board of Education passed a resolution back in 1988 (it's in my list). I believe that schools associated with reservations are not affected by the resolution.

They are not. Which I don't understand how Warroad can still be the Warriors when they are NOT on a reservation.

Sadly, the list just continues to grow. The most disturbing part of all this (of course) is the fact that each and every one of these groups with a PC agenda actually believes they are protecting Native Americans when in fact what they're doing in reality is disrespecting them. DISGUSTING!!!

We can't just sit back and watch this happen, we must fight back. A good way to fight back is to vote NO on June 12th. Those of us who stand behind our Native American friends in their honorable fight to stop Native American based nicknames to be driven to extinction must be more aggressive and assertive than those who support the attacks against these kind of team nicknames.

savethefightingsioux.com

A good way would have been going to Standing Rock and trying like hell to convince the tribal council to approve the name from 2005-2010. That failed. They voted against it and that was that. Most people supporting retiring the name like me are anti-PC. I hate it, it sucks, but I am not going to kill the University I love and support by going against the NCAA's rules. Would you give money to an athlete under the table even though you know its against the rules? Would you bribe a referee at a game even though its against the rules? Its the same thing...would you vote for something that is against the rules? For me....its NO! VOTE "YES" on Measure 4 to save UND Athletics.

Sadly, the list just continues to grow. The most disturbing part of all this (of course) is the fact that each and every one of these groups with a PC agenda actually believes they are protecting Native Americans when in fact what they're doing in reality is disrespecting them. DISGUSTING!!!

We can't just sit back and watch this happen, we must fight back. A good way to fight back is to vote NO on June 12th. Those of us who stand behind our Native American friends in their honorable fight to stop Native American based nicknames to be driven to extinction must be more aggressive and assertive than those who support the attacks against these kind of team nicknames.

savethefightingsioux.com

Dave,

We all know why Darrell put this on the forum...if everyone is doing this, then how can I be held accountable for the outcome?

Bob

The only problem with what you're saying is that voting NO is not going to kill the university. No matter how you try to spin it that just is not going to happen. The university is the university, and will continue to be the university regardless of which way the vote goes. Please stop spreading lies and propaganda to support your argument. Saying that a NO vote will keep the athletic programs on sanctions is fair, but to say it will kill the university is just a straight up blatant lie, and we should not have to be subjected to such lies. If you're going to campaign for the side of this debate that I do not agree with, at least have the dignity to refrain from spewing lies. That is all.

What good is a nickname when there is no sports team to show off the logo and name. Are they going to bus students around the country and just walk around with Fighting Sioux gear? The name is recognized with sports, sports needs a conference you keep the name you may lose the conference affiliation and start losing football, basketball, volleyball, etc. Since UND can't fill the minimum required sports the hockey team goes away and there sits an empty arena on Columbia Road to match the empty dome on 42nd Street. Enrollment will decrease if no sports, money will slowly trickle in but far less than it would if we had sports. See the domino effect by voting NO on Measure 4. Sorry Dave we will never agree on this, but I have to say this last thing.....Vote YES on Measure 4 to save UND Athletics.

The only problem with what you're saying is that voting NO is not going to kill the university. No matter how you try to spin it that just is not going to happen. The university is the university, and will continue to be the university regardless of which way the vote goes. Please stop spreading lies and propaganda to support your argument. Saying that a NO vote will keep the athletic programs on sanctions is fair, but to say it will kill the university is just a straight up blatant lie, and we should not have to be subjected to such lies. If you're going to campaign for the side of this debate that I do not agree with, at least have the dignity to refrain from spewing lies. That is all.

Its not at lie its the truth and I am sorry that you cant not see it. Rome is buring and you can not see the fire. This is something that should have been stopped along time ago but everybody just stood on there hands and did nothing. Where were you five years ago? Where was all of us? The silence major did nothing. The people that scream got what they wanted and we did nothing. Whats going to happen next?

I don't care about any of those little details. What I do care about is preventing UND from having a team with a different nickname.

Dave has boiled the entire issue down to this one detail. He wants to prevent UND from having a team with a different nickname. He doesn't care if UND doesn't have any teams. He doesn't care if the athletic department survives. He doesn't care if the University survives, or in what condition the University survives. He doesn't care what any one else wants. He doesn't care what any of the tribes want. His only purpose is to prevent UND from having a team with a different nickname. What a noble goal in life. Dave, you've just won a lifetime achievement award for this one statement. :crazy:
  • Upvote 3

82SiouxGuy has just shown his true colors... if somebody else has priorities and/or values that are not a carbon copy of his own, he makes snarky little remarks about that individual. Stay classy, 82SiouxGuy, stay classy. :silly:

Just helping stress your point, Dave. I want to make sure that people understand your priorities. ;)

Dave has boiled the entire issue down to this one detail. He wants to prevent UND from having a team with a different nickname. He doesn't care if UND doesn't have any teams. He doesn't care if the athletic department survives. He doesn't care if the University survives, or in what condition the University survives. He doesn't care what any one else wants. He doesn't care what any of the tribes want. His only purpose is to prevent UND from having a team with a different nickname. What a noble goal in life. Dave, you've just won a lifetime achievement award for this one statement. :crazy:

I just saw that too. He said that the school will be there with or without athletic teams. So, to Dave it's either keep the name or drop the teams.

That's messed up.

I have already made my priorities perfectly clear. You putting them down does nothing to stress my point, it only makes you look like an intolerant jerk. Have you ever heard of the phrase "to each his own"?

Actually, that statement clarified your priorities more than anything else you have said. So I wanted to make sure that everyone saw it. If you think that makes me an intolerant jerk, I'm all right with that. I'm not going to write what I think of you.

If this was an issue that only affected you I would say do whatever you want. That is when "to each his own" has real meaning. You want to change your name, go right ahead. You want to shave your head, have at it. You want to live without electricity, good luck. This issue affects thousands and thousands of other people, NOT JUST YOU. Many of us spent a significant portion of our life associated with that school, something you and Fetch just can't comprehend. We got an education, that helped set us up for the rest of our adult lives. We made friends, some of which we have had for decades. We have memories of good times and bad times. Some people met their spouse at school. That's why we have a deeper connection to the school than you do. And deeper than pretty much anyone that is just a fan of the sports teams. That is why this issue is personal to many of us. It is a sports nickname at risk to you. It is our University at risk to us. The sad thing is that you will never be able to comprehend the difference.

• Upvote 2

Well, this issue is all about Dave ... :lol:

Dave wants what Dave wants.

I want what's best for the future of UND.

Strangely enough what I want aligns with what Tim O'Keefe, the man entrusted with management of UND's endowments, wants also.

And were the moniker to change ...

... it would do nothing to erase your personal experience ...

either, key word being experience.

What you do in the future, well, as Dave Hakstol says, control what's your to control.

Here is what you are apparently unable to comprehend...

If UND were to keep the nickname and accept the sanctions or else just pull the plug on athletics altogether it would do nothing to erase your personal experience at the university that is now long since over and done with. If you got an education at UND that helped set you up for the rest of your adult life... you will still have that education with or without UND sports continuing on into the future under a different nickname. If you made some good friends that you have had for decades... you will still have those friends with or without UND sports continuing on into the future under a different nickname. If you met your spouse at UND... you will still have that spouse with or without UND sports continuing on into the future under a different nickname.

So stop trying to create the illusion that you have something personal at stake here because you don't. Your time at UND is in the past, nothing but a distant memory that can never be erased regardless of what happens in the future regarding the Fighting Sioux nickname. Your education and memories are secure whether UND changes the name, keeps the name, or drops athletics altogether. Even if the entire school were to shut down all operations, your education and memories will not be affected. That is all in the past and can't be changed now. You do not have anything at stake, and that goes for all former students.

I do comprehend that. But alumni do have something at stake, something you just don't understand. A college experience is very personal. It can become like part of your family. Current and future students are part of that extended family. There is a connection between alumni from different eras. You want to share those experiences with your children, grandchildren or your nieces and nephews. Take them to games or concerts. Show them where you went to school, met your spouse. So losing the school would be something like losing part of your family. But I'm sure that losing your parents, or your children, wouldn't matter to you. You've had your experience with them. You have your memories of them. It wouldn't matter to you if they were no longer part of your current life, because you can remember the time you had with them. Nothing matters except you getting what you want.