SiouxSports.com Forum

Should the nickel trophy be on the line for future games?

CMSioux

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Nickel Trophy be on the line for future games?

• Yes
    • No

This is a moot point if/when the Fighting Sioux nickname is retired - just another politically incorrect trophy that will go the way of the Sitting Bull Trophy we had with USD.

Nice to know that not only does UND own the overall won/lost record in football they own the won/lost record for the last 10 years and they won the last game played for the honor of having the most coveted trophy in the Sioux-Bison rivalry.

This is a moot point if/when the Fighting Sioux nickname is retired - just another politically incorrect trophy that will go the way of the Sitting Bull Trophy we had with USD.

Nice to know that not only does UND own the overall won/lost record in football they own the won/lost record for the last 10 years and they won the last game played for the honor of having the most coveted trophy in the Sioux-Bison rivalry.

Is there a rule against using the trophy once the nickname is retired? I was under the impression items of historical significance (other than the nickname of course) could still be used.

Is there a rule against using the trophy once the nickname is retired? I was under the impression items of historical significance (other than the nickname of course) could still be used.

It probably could be used. But it would also encourage the group trying to keep the nickname and make it harder to transition away from the nickname. I would guess that it will be retired just like the Sitting Bull trophy.

How dare you reference the overall record. Don't you know only the last 50 years matter to a certain poster here?

How dare you reference the overall record. Don't you know only the last 50 years matter to a certain poster here?

What does the overall record have to do with the fact that I think that the trophy should be in a museum where everyone can see it. Will it make you happier if I said it should have a plaque that has a list of all the Nickel game scores on it?

I think keep it retired at least until UND and NDSU are in the same conference playing every year. The Nickel should be on a state rotation where a month its in Fargo, a month its in Bismarck, etc like NDSU did with the National Title Trophy. Its a historical symbol that has run its course especially with the nickname issue too. Get into the same conference, and get a new trophy.

Retire it along with the name and stick it down at the State Historical Society in Bismarck. I have always thought there should be a display at the Heritage Center featuring the retirement of the Sioux name. It should be a part of that.

As for a new trophy......if the teams play.....and it will be every other year if at all......does not need a trophy. NDSU playing UND is basically a gift to a program that is wetting its collective pants to have a game with NDSU. That is not deserving of a trophy.

• Upvote 1

What does the overall record have to do with the fact that I think that the trophy should be in a museum where everyone can see it. Will it make you happier if I said it should have a plaque that has a list of all the Nickel game scores on it?

He wasn't even talking about your post. He quoted another person with a post that had a hint of sarcasm to it.

For the record, I don't think it should be in a museum because it was never about EVERYONE getting to enjoy it all of the time. It was about the winning team getting to enjoy it. NDSU knew that they would probably never see it again after they lost that last game. And right now, the only people that enjoy it are the 5 people that keep it safe.

As for a new trophy......if the teams play.....and it will be every other year if at all......does not need a trophy. NDSU playing UND is basically a gift to a program that is wetting its collective pants to have a game with NDSU. That is not deserving of a trophy.

Ha, that last batch of Kolpack kool-aid must've been mixed pretty strong....

Retire it along with the name and stick it down at the State Historical Society in Bismarck. I have always thought there should be a display at the Heritage Center featuring the retirement of the Sioux name. It should be a part of that.

I am sure Prairie View is wetting themselves too. :silly:

• Upvote 1

He wasn't even talking about your post. He quoted another person with a post that had a hint of sarcasm to it.

For the record, I don't think it should be in a museum because it was never about EVERYONE getting to enjoy it all of the time. It was about the winning team getting to enjoy it. NDSU knew that they would probably never see it again after they lost that last game. And right now, the only people that enjoy it are the 5 people that keep it safe.

The person he was referring to was most likely me. So you are saying that a trophy that was rewarded to the winner for 65 years should stay hidden somewhere when the game isn't even played anymore and the Sioux nickname is probably gone? It belongs in a museum. It is a pretty cool trophy especially when compared to some of the stupid ones other schools play for. Everyone deserves to be able to see it at this point.

75% of this poll so far believes the Nickel should not be played for, if it shouldn't be played for, in your opinions, then it doesn't belong hidden somewhere in Grand Forks. There is no reason that it shouldn't be in a museum now.

I am sure Prairie View is wetting themselves too. :silly:

Prairie View is wetting themselves as well, just for other reasons ;)

The person he was referring to was most likely me. So you are saying that a trophy that was rewarded to the winner for 65 years should stay hidden somewhere when the game isn't even played anymore and the Sioux nickname is probably gone? It belongs in a museum. It is a pretty cool trophy especially when compared to some of the stupid ones other schools play for. Everyone deserves to be able to see it at this point.

75% of this poll so far believes the Nickel should not be played for, if it shouldn't be played for, in your opinions, then it doesn't belong hidden somewhere in Grand Forks. There is no reason that it shouldn't be in a museum now.

Prairie View is wetting themselves as well, just for other reasons ;)

It should be in the lobby of the Alerus for all to see!!

I can give you one reason on why it shouldn't be in a museum. COST. There would have to be other stuff in the collection that relates to that, if you don't have that....you have to obtain it. If there is not room or the room available is not suited to displaying that collection, you must remodel. Then, you go into the cost of preserving and conserving it. The Nickel Trophy while not in an excellent archival place for it, is currently being protected as much as possible for the people that have it.

• Upvote 1

I can give you one reason on why it shouldn't be in a museum. COST. There would have to be other stuff in the collection that relates to that, if you don't have that....you have to obtain it. If there is not room or the room available is not suited to displaying that collection, you must remodel. Then, you go into the cost of preserving and conserving it. The Nickel Trophy while not in an excellent archival place for it, is currently being protected as much as possible for the people that have it.

Oh dear, you are seriously using cost as a reason that the Nickel shouldn't be in a museum? Who cares? All they'd have to do is put the trophy behind a glass case and have a sign for it describing the trophy's significance. Right now you sound stupid for claiming cost as a reason to not put it in a museum. The state has a boatload of money, I'm pretty sure we can afford to pay a few hundred bucks for a display case....we don't need a seperate room for it.

How is Aakers Business College poised to do this year in football.........oh.......wait........the place you went to school doesn't even play sports........LMAO! :lol: :lol:

Yes they don't play sports, and your point being? ???