SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA vs. CHL

Anyone here have a theory why UND has developed great NHL forwards(Parise, Toews, Oshie, Stafford) over the last ten years or so but not D-men. Is Greene the only UND defenseman who plays regularly in the NHL or am I missing someone? Not meant as a flame post at all, just seems odd especially considering the fact that UND typically has a strong D-core.

Once Brian Lee got traded to Tampa Bay, he played in every game. He should be a regular next year. But other than him and Matt Greene no defenseman plays regularly. It surprises me as well, but even with out current d-corps, the only player that I can say with relative certainty will have a long NHL career will be Forbort. Simpson, Blood, MacWilliam, and Mattson all have a chance to play in the NHL, but I don't really see any of them becoming more than bottom-pairing player's.

Once Brian Lee got traded to Tampa Bay, he played in every game. He should be a regular next year. But other than him and Matt Greene no defenseman plays regularly. It surprises me as well, but even with out current d-corps, the only player that I can say with relative certainty will have a long NHL career will be Forbort. Simpson, Blood, MacWilliam, and Mattson all have a chance to play in the NHL, but I don't really see any of them becoming more than bottom-pairing player's.

not as recent as Matt Greene and Brian Lee, but Mike Commodore was up pretty consistently once he was traded to Tampa.

Smaby played quite a bit for a while. The Sioux have had quite a few guys play up in the NHL, but after they get their chance they have to take advantage of it. Guys like Travis Roche and Matt Jones played pretty consistently at one point, but never could hold on to their spot. Haven't heard much about Jones lately, anybody know what happened with him?

Smaby played quite a bit for a while. The Sioux have had quite a few guys play up in the NHL, but after they get their chance they have to take advantage of it. Guys like Travis Roche and Matt Jones played pretty consistently at one point, but never could hold on to their spot. Haven't heard much about Jones lately, anybody know what happened with him?

I think Jones had concussion problems. Thought I may have heard he hung up the skates.

Siouxhockey5

OK, I couldn't let that go. I have never heard of an NHL GM badmouthing Hakstol and saying he can't develop players. Maybe I missed it...

I was typing too fast....I meant Lucia got bad mouthed and believe Garth Snow simply hates players going to college route so he plucks them early. Okposo, Ness, Nelson, etc. Sorry for the mistype, again I never heard anything bad about Hakstol but I have read that Garth hates when players go to college.

I was typing too fast....I meant Lucia got bad mouthed and believe Garth Snow simply hates players going to college route so he plucks them early. Okposo, Ness, Nelson, etc. Sorry for the mistype, again I never heard anything bad about Hakstol but I have read that Garth hates when players go to college.

Kind of funny since he played 4 years for Maine.

So how many of you watched the memorial cup games on the nhl network last week?

Thoughts?

I watched a little bit...not much more than that though. I simply wanted to check out a couple players who were high up on the player rankings. Tough to get into the games when you could care less who wins.

Check out the below link; I think it is a great article. While both leagues are great...I think young US players these days simply want to go where the best kids (in their age group are going). Many of the NTDP see kids they are playing against going to Canada to complete, so they go too. I am all for that, however, something has to be done with these players decommitting.

The article is super old....but good and educating.

http://aol.sportingn...y-ohl-whl-qmjhl

I watched some of the games....kind of a bit boring at times. One thing I couldn't stand was the cheap stuff after the whistle over and over and over again. I know these guys are playing for a national championship....but after you see someone get cross checked for the fifth time from behind it gets pretty old.

Pretty sloppy defensive play at times, the youth definitely shows.

I watched some of the games....kind of a bit boring at times. One thing I couldn't stand was the cheap stuff after the whistle over and over and over again. I know these guys are playing for a national championship....but after you see someone get cross checked for the fifth time from behind it gets pretty old.

Pretty sloppy defensive play at times, the youth definitely shows.

Those were two pretty solid teams...guess I am confused??? The hockey was great...especially the host team that played so well. I just don't follow most of the teams for most of the year so I became slightly disinterested. But if you are a fan of hockey you got to watch some pretty great prospects.

Those were two pretty solid teams...guess I am confused??? The hockey was great...especially the host team that played so well. I just don't follow most of the teams for most of the year so I became slightly disinterested. But if you are a fan of hockey you got to watch some pretty great prospects.

You are easily confused.

I was talking about the three or four games I watched bits and pieces of collectively. I can't say that I sat down and watched an entire game.

Wathced the entire tournament....some good fast paced and physical hockey, very fun to watch. I can tell you this, I've seen the Gamblers of the USHL play this year and they would have been soundly beaten by any of the teams in this tournament. I can also comfortably say, however, that Boston College would have fared well against any of these teams.

Wathced the entire tournament....some good fast paced and physical hockey, very fun to watch. I can tell you this, I've seen the Gamblers of the USHL play this year and they would have been soundly beaten by any of the teams in this tournament. I can also comfortably say, however, that Boston College would have fared well against any of these teams.

I was kind of thinking this as well. How would BC do against a team like London or Windsor? I'm all for NCAA teams and CHL teams playing exhibition games against each other. Don't think that it will ever happen, but boy would it make those boring exhibitions into some quality hockey games.

Last year's Sioux team with Frattin and company could beat any CHL team, this year's squad....meh.....

^ My thoughts too. After watching this tournament I really liked the chl style of play.