SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA vs. CHL

OK, we get it, you don't like college hockey.

Haha, that was original....you think hard pretty hard on that one? Anyway, I wasn't trying compare the overall leagues simply that the US is producing better players each year however less and less are actually playing college hockey. FYI, don't change your username, I'm going to prove you wrong on this year's draftclass.

Gopher recruit Brady Skjei was drafted in the 1st round by the Rangers and hopefully for their and college hockeys sake he doesn't let the pressure from the Rangers effect his decison when they try to steer him to major juniors unlike some kid named JT Miller. I hate that NHL teams try to talk their draft picks out of their decisons they have already made and hope Skjei actually has some loyalty and can stand the pressure the Rangers will try to put on him to go MJ.

I've heard that this is going to be one of the weaker and more unpredictable draft classes in years, so I'm not going to start freaking out because there may not be any college players in the first round, this year.

Besides, I don't know what college hockey is supposed to do, you can't win 'em all--some players are going to prefer the CHL to college hockey. Especially Canadians.

Agreed, and the turnout was actually pretty decent for college hockey (so far).

Nick Ebert's stock certainly has fallen since joining Windsor a few years back. When he was one of the younger players in the USHL, he was projected pretty high, and he ended up being the last player taken in this years draft. I think Schmaltz made a wise decision, and I hope his brother does the same. Don't believe the lies.

I know that article is recent however I read the exact same article from a different source a while back. Schmaltz is coming for sure....as for his brother, who knows. I have seen his brother play and he is very, very good for his age. I am thinking he may bounce to the CHL when he is 16 (eligible), I hope I'm wrong though.

I know that article is recent however I read the exact same article from a different source a while back. Schmaltz is coming for sure....as for his brother, who knows. I have seen his brother play and he is very, very good for his age. I am thinking he may bounce to the CHL when he is 16 (eligible), I hope I'm wrong though.

The first half of the article I thought was old but some of the stuff on the bottom I hadn't seen before.

Report: Trouba family considering "huge offer' from OHL

Monday night, a different OHL source informed the Daily that Kitchener has presented the Trouba family with a "huge offer" that remains on the table. The source added that he “believes it will happen.”

In place of an education package, the source said Trouba could be compensated to about $200,000.

Trouba has always been very, very adamant about playing at Michigan. I hope he doesn't let Kitchner persuade him to decommit.

Report: Trouba family considering "huge offer' from OHL

Trouba has always been very, very adamant about playing at Michigan. I hope he doesn't let Kitchner persuade him to decommit.

I figured this was probably going to happen. Pretty impossible these days to go to college when you could potentially play in the League this year. Red's going to lose it. So anyone that thinks this is not going to be an increasing theme going forward is in denial. I also believe we are going to start seeing other college players leaving after the year (or at Christmas) as they will feel they are behind the eight ball compared to other prospects. This isn't right, but it's reality. Now College Hockey, Inc. and the NCAA must go out and get something done regarding the decommits.

Did anyone read what Justin Bourne wrote on this topic? It was pretty well written and talked about a lot of the most contentious points in the argument. I enjoyed the read, especially coming from a former WCHA player who had the option of playing in either leagues. I'll edit this post shortly with the link to the post.

Additionally, the Bourne post brings up a payment issue and the fatal flaw with the NCAA's amateur status -- the CHL can corrupt is by having a player participate in a couple games at a young age. It's a damn sin.

EDIT: The link -- http://blogs.thescor...paying-players/

Did anyone read what Justin Bourne wrote on this topic? It was pretty well written and talked about a lot of the most contentious points in the argument. I enjoyed the read, especially coming from a former WCHA player who had the option of playing in either leagues. I'll edit this post shortly with the link to the post.

Additionally, the Bourne post brings up a payment issue and the fatal flaw with the NCAA's amateur status -- the CHL can corrupt is by having a player participate in a couple games at a young age. It's a damn sin.

EDIT: The link -- http://blogs.thescor...paying-players/

Nice article, I like to hear from former players.

• 1 month later...

Windsor Spitfires fined $400,000, three 1st rd picks + two 2nd's for violating recruitment policies

http://www.ontarioho...anctions/125102

Finally the CHL does something about the shady recruiting tactics use by some of its teams.

Finally....I don't think this will deter kids at all but at least they're getting in some sort of trouble.

Talk about a HUGE surprise....no way.....just.....gasp......

I wonder how many other CHL franchises will have the rug pulled from under them after Windsor becomes the first domino to fall....

PS: Agreed that this changes nothing.....

So the rumor is they also tried to lure the Schmaltz bros...I wonder if they cooperated with the investigation? Subsequently, Jordan Schmaltz (1 rd pick) was cut in the first round from the U-20 tryout camp....everyone knows the Development team is run by guys who love the CHL/NHL. Just speculation only but I'm still having a real hard time grasping that Schmaltz was cut that early when he is a legit blue chip prospect but yet they keep some 3rd and 4th rounders. He should have been the 2nd or third best dman on the team, let along not making the top 7.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Portland Winterhawks hit hard with penalties for a series of "player benefit violations"

As a result of a series of player benefit violations which have occurred over the past four seasons, WHL Commissioner Ron Robison has suspended the Portland Winterhawks from participating in the first five rounds of the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft and the forfeiture of their first round selections in the 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 WHL Bantam Drafts.

Should the first round selection in 2014 not be available due to a conditional trade, Portland will surrender their second and third round picks in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft.

The WHL also announced the Portland Winterhawks have been fined $200,000 and Winterhawks General Manager and Head Coach Mike Johnston has been suspended for the balance of the 2012-13 season, including the 2013 WHL Playoffs.

It's nice to see the CHL cracking down on illegal recruiting tactics by some teams