SiouxSports.com Forum

Junior Team?

sioux24/7

This team will be compared to teams like Shattuck St. Mary's and Little Caesars (I believe Matt Greene played here).

It will probably give the Sioux a stable of recruits to pick from, and they will have all kinds of recruits coming and going through REA. I think it's a great idea.

Edited by Goon

It will probably give the Sioux a stable of recruits to pick from, and they will have all kinds of recruits coming and going through REA. I think it's a great idea.

I think so too! Instead of having kids from the area leave for "better" competition, they can stay around here and finish school.

There is a difference? A better analogy than rich kids playing is more how much debt do parents want to take on so there kid may get a scholarship.

I agree its not all rich kids sure there is many kids that do play and go to big programs because they are fortunate enough to have parents that have money. That shouldn't be the issue because many parents give a lot to have they're kid to live out the dream of one day playing in the NHL. Whether they have money or not. Let's get his program going

If Karl is being honest, the genesis of this team appears to be developing local talent. In essence, this midget team "should" be a North Dakota select team with a few players from Minnesota and elsewhere based out of Grand Forks. Given North Dakota's limited player pool and the lack of D-1 players that the state now produces, I don't see this as being a feeder program for UND in either its purpose or effect.

Now if we start seeing players come from all over the U.S., which Goehring seems to be against, then this team may be better equiped to produce more college recruits.

Midget teams are entirely U-18 and, therefore, filled with high schoolers, so this is a much different and younger team than the Fargo Force, Bismarck Bobacts, or any Canadian Junior team.

If Karl is being honest, the genesis of this team appears to be developing local talent. In essence, this midget team "should" be a North Dakota select team with a few players from Minnesota and elsewhere based out of Grand Forks. Given North Dakota's limited player pool and the lack of D-1 players that the state now produces, I don't see this as being a feeder program for UND in either its purpose or effect.

Now if we start seeing players come from all over the U.S., which Goehring seems to be against, then this team may be better equiped to produce more college recruits.

Midget teams are entirely U-18 and, therefore, filled with high schoolers, so this is a much different and younger team than the Fargo Force, Bismarck Bobacts, or any Canadian Junior team.

I don't see this as a program to develop just "local" talent. I can see this program being a mixture of the BEST local kids and the best kids from Northern MN, with a few spread out across the country but the most would come from the 701 and 218 area codes.

I don't see this as a program to develop just "local" talent. I can see this program being a mixture of the BEST local kids and the best kids from Northern MN, with a few spread out across the country but the most would come from the 701 and 218 area codes.

I really hope it is this!

I like the idea of having a midget team run out of Grand Forks. I think it could hurt the local Grand Forks teams more than anyone when it comes to high school hockey, but at the same time you're developing and exposing some local talent that would otherwise maybe not get the chance to get the weight lifting/off ice conditioning they'd get in a normal situation.

To claim that this wouldn't hurt the competition level in RR/GFC and all of local high school hockey is just a dumb argument, it would level the playing field and GF/Fargo might not be the powerhouses we're used to being in HS hockey, but in terms of what it can bring to the city I am not opposed to it at all... Heck we have more than adequate facilities here to house a team so why not. Plus it would add a really good local recruiting ground for UND/The Sioux/The Whioux/or whatever we're called in the future. Sure we'll get a few kids that are here because of their rich parents, but it would allow some of the great products from GFC/RR and other local towns to stay here for high school and play on this team instead of moving to play Juniors somewhere else. There are obvious pros and cons of if we were to get a team, but ultiimately in this case I think if we can, we should.

To claim that this wouldn't hurt the competition level in RR/GFC and all of local high school hockey is just a dumb argument, it would level the playing field and GF/Fargo might not be the powerhouses we're used to being in HS hockey, but in terms of what it can bring to the city I am not opposed to it at all... Heck we have more than adequate facilities here to house a team so why not. Plus it would add a really good local recruiting ground for UND/The Sioux/The Whioux/or whatever we're called in the future. Sure we'll get a few kids that are here because of their rich parents, but it would allow some of the great products from GFC/RR and other local towns to stay here for high school and play on this team instead of moving to play Juniors somewhere else. There are obvious pros and cons of if we were to get a team, but ultiimately in this case I think if we can, we should.

As been stated before, I really think this will have a huge impact on recruiting for UND. The majority of American player's outside of MN and ND, play midget hockey. Get those players up to Grand Forks a few times a year when they are younger, give the players a chance to see the arena, a game and the city. Maybe they even become fans.

But at the same time would not some of the best players from around the state come to play leaving their home teams down equalling the field across the state? I think you could include the 320 area code also.

Love the idea and for those who would think we would have unfair advantage is bs. Look at Shattuck there is how many schools 3 hrs from their campus. Let's get his program going

What about the Alexandria Blizzard, Austin (can't think of the team name), old Rochester Mustangs (USHL), or the St.Paul Vulcans (aka Twin Cities Vulcans (USHL) that played at the Augsburg Arena? All were, or are, in Minnesota's backyard along with Duluth and St. Cloud so no advantage for UND recruiting.

What about the Alexandria Blizzard, Austin (can't think of the team name), old Rochester Mustangs (USHL), or the St.Paul Vulcans (aka Twin Cities Vulcans (USHL) that played at the Augsburg Arena? All were, or are, in Minnesota's backyard along with Duluth and St. Cloud so no advantage for UND recruiting.

Midgets is different because those players can still attend high school in their home town. They only practice a couple times a week.

Midgets is different because those players can still attend high school in their home town. They only practice a couple times a week.

I know that it is different but only if the kids live in Grand Forks. If a kid moves to Grand Forks they would have to have a legal guardian to attend GF schools or the parent(s) would have to move also if from out of state.

Grand Forks could not support an AHL team much less alone an ECHL team.

why do you think that ?

Minor pro teams never work out in Grand Forks. For an AHL team to make it they would need to sell at least 5,000 tickets a game. An ECHL team at least 3,000 a game which would never happen in Grand forks. Look at the populations of cities where the AHL plays. All twice as large or larger than the entire state of North Dakota. ECHL teams pretty much play in larger towns also.

I know that it is different but only if the kids live in Grand Forks. If a kid moves to Grand Forks they would have to have a legal guardian to attend GF schools or the parent(s) would have to move also if from out of state.

Not really, look at what Nick Schmaltz has been doing the last few years. Lives in Verona, WI and commutes to practice in Chicago. He still attends HS in Verona.

Not really, look at what Nick Schmaltz has been doing the last few years. Lives in Verona, WI and commutes to practice in Chicago. He still attends HS in Verona.

I am having a hard time even figuring out what your argument is. For one thing it is less than a 3 hour drive (mapquest says 2:45). Do you really believe there would be enough kids in driving distance to make the trip 3 or 4 times a week?

I am having a hard time even figuring out what your argument is. For one thing it is less than a 3 hour drive (mapquest says 2:45). Do you really believe there would be enough kids in driving distance to make the trip 3 or 4 times a week?

I said that an advantage for players to play Midgets instead of Juniors is that they can still attend high school in their hometown. You disputed that by saying they would have to make to Grand Forks and get an guardian or something. I then brought up the Nick Schmaltz example saying he drives to Chicago a couple times a week to practice with his Midget team. The answer to your question would be absolutely yes. There are 6-8 players from Bemidji that drive to TRF twice a week to skate on the hockey teadmill, I think if they are willing to do that they would be willing to make basically the same trip to Grand Forks to practice with the Midget team. I think it would be pretty easy to get this team together with just local kids. All the Grand Forks schools, Fargo schools, Moorhead, TRF, Grafton, Bemidji, Crookston, Detroit Lakes and maybe Roseau and Warroad as well. I would be very surprised if there isn't 20 players out of just those communities that would want to play Midget.