SiouxSports.com Forum

Boo-Hissing at the REA

Riverman

Really Blaiser remember last year? Didn't you say the same thing?

This is the reason for this fans booing: Campion not scared to put the Dawgs down two men on a call 1/8 of the arena seen!

John buddy, if your not going to make the call go back to being a linesman! :0

Sheesh Blaiser, I thought you knew us better ;) .

The way I seen the game tonight very good hustle but bad D. Goal tending a little rusty.The D did come out towards the end.

As for Sandy and his crew the colors were not RETIRED!!!!! ;) And you don't skate around when the other team's lines are being called! :D Sandy I thought you knew better. ;)

As for that little puke #15 I hope he gets his! After the game crap reminded me of a Gopher player anyone care to guess?If you said DEEmarkEE you guessed right! ;)

In the postgame, Dean said that he didn't like the fans booing during the PP because the Sioux weren't taking any shots... just moving the puck around. He said something to the effect that the fans should have a little more faith in that the guys on the ice know what they are doing... they don't need to have the added pressure of hearing the fans boo and taking a shot that perhaps might not be the right one. The Sioux did eventually score on that PP. Not sure how this ties in to what Riverman is talking about... actually, I'm not sure WHAT Riverman is talking about.

The Sioux did eventually score on that PP.

Sorry I typed when I was half a sleep. ???

Not with any help from Campion. :lol: Zack was held up. The tv replay didn't show it. From where Campion stood on the ice Zack was mauled and he seen everything! :lol:

Yes they did score on this PP, but there should have been another call made!!!

While in the car on the way home I can't remember who Tim was talking to but they agreed that Zack was being clutch and grabbed all night. Granted he has to step up his game but the Ref's are not helping.

Sprig, glad I wasn't the only one who saw that. Is that what made the coaches a little surly at the end of the game? :huh:

Sprig, glad I wasn't the only one who saw that. Is that what made the coaches a little surly at the end of the game? :lol:

That is what our group thought. I was watching #15 skate towards his bench, when I happened to look at the Sioux bench and then I sort of noticed a post-game discussion .... :lol: #15 was all over the ice last night, played a good game, but a real pest and the after-game shot(s) will probably be addressed soon.

I don't have a problem with what Blais said. Blais just told everyone listening not to boo or yell "shoot" all the time during the PP as it can affect the guys on the ice. They're trying their best and they are working the play best they can. To do so only makes them anxious and makes them more suspect to making the wrong shot/pass.

From what I understood the Sioux were working the puck around the outside and people were getting antsy to see a shot. I've been guilty of yelling "shoot" in the past myself but from what I have learned watching the game is sometimes passing around the perimeter is a good way to find a lane to the goal. Just have to let it develop.

Perhaps... but I gotta agree with Dean, the booing and yelling "shoot" does nothing to help the team.

I think what Blaiser has a problem with is the timing of fans yelling shoot. Everytime a player has the puck, you hear people yelling for him to shoot. It looks a lot different on the ice than it does in the stands, which is why I am always one to let the team do their thing.

When the #1 team in the country has one of the worst power play percentages, the fans will get anxious. Blais has been around long enough to know that. I thought it was in poor taste to "discipline the fans" on the radio. In fact, it kind of pissed me off. Hennesy was smart in changing the subject quickly, becuase it sounded like Blais was going to keep going with it. Don't get me wrong, I think Blais is the best coach in the league, (yes, I really do) but he should stick to what he can control. Get your PP percentage at 75%, and people will still yell "shoot", as we're not as diciplined and patient as the team is. You know why? WE'RE FANS, THAT'S WHY! Wasn't this a topic last year too? Let it f*cking go already.

(for the record, as a season ticket holder, I was sitting on my hands not yelling or saying anything) :lol:

Personally I don't have a problem with the coach informing the fans of what does and doesn't have an affect on the team.

Some here have said fans have a "right" to cheer what and when they want to and I agree with it.

I also think the coach has a "right" to tell the fans what they can best do to help the team from his perspective.

What a fan chooses to do with the information is up to them.

When the #1 team in the country has one of the worst power play percentages, the fans will get anxious. Blais has been around long enough to know that. I thought it was in poor taste to "discipline the fans" on the radio. In fact, it kind of pissed me off. Hennesy was smart in changing the subject quickly, becuase it sounded like Blais was going to keep going with it. Don't get me wrong, I think Blais is the best coach in the league, (yes, I really do) but he should stick to what he can control. Get your PP percentage at 75%, and people will still yell "shoot", as we're not as diciplined and patient as the team is. You know why? WE'RE FANS, THAT'S WHY! Wasn't this a topic last year too? Let it f*cking go already.

(for the record, as a season ticket holder, I was sitting on my hands not yelling or saying anything) :lol:

I agree to a certain extent, but let's put it this way: Image.

People around here view the WCHA as near-NHL level play. So they hold players and coaches accountable for what happens on the ice. Though it is different when the team loses and nobody calls for Blais' head (which would happen in the NHL), there are some factors that are hard to ignore.

In the NHL, if you put a PP on the ice as lack luster as ours is right now, coaches start getting put on the hot seat and even an assistant coach could get the heave-ho for it. I'm not callign for Hakstol or Berry's jobs, but I am saying that a team this good and with this depth cannot possibly look this bad on the powerplay. It's supposed to be an advantage for us to be up a man or two that we should be able to score. After last year, when we hardly had any powerplays, our percentage was a lot better because of the lower numbers. This year we are getting far more powerplays than last year.

I think we will come around.

As for Campion, I think we should really be nicer to the guy. Yeah, he missed some really obvious calls, but I see officiating here to be a complain regardless occupation. Here, if the ref calls everything, we get down his throat about not allowing us to play hockey. But if he doesn't call all the plays we think he is not doing his job. One thing you must remember: Campion is CONSISTENT. Good or bad, he is possibly the only consistent ref in the WCHA. Plus he's a nice guy :lol:

In any case, Mike Schmitt is reffing the Subway Tourney and then calling it quits in the WCHA. We won't see Campion again until the Michigan Tech series (I think that is in Michigan). Daddy Sheperd said that he wasn't going to replace Mike this season.

Maybe I went overboard with my previous post, but a "suggestion to fans" versus a "scolding" would have been more appropriate on a broadcasted post game interview.

I actually agree with Blais, and understand what he's saying. However, I don't think a comment either way was necessary, especially after a win. I just wasn't impressed.

I have mixed feelings about the situation. On one hand you have to shoot and the Lord knows the Sioux don't shoot nearly as much on PP as they could. On the other hand Blais does have a point about not yelling at the team to shoot because it gets them rattled. As of right now I would say don't boo them because it's not like we are a bad team. We are #1 in the nation! As long as the boys keep getting the job done give them a little slack.

As for Campion. The WCHA needs to recognize that there is a problem with the refs. It is getting ridiculous. God forbid, but I am afraid one time some boneheaded moron from another team will be hanging on Zach and Zach will get injured because the dang refs don't want to make the call and put the underdog team down shorthanded. It's like Jeff Panzer and Jason Blake all over again.